• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Newest Greatest thing you just figured out

Mark Ellis said:
As I get older my immunity to cold is diminishing (Dammit!) so I am testing new layers, looking for maximum warmth for minimum weight and bulk. I have always been impressed with and relied on high tech stuff (polar tech, gortex, etc.) but recently I have gone old school: wool. Ya know that stuff from sheep which is as old as, well, sheep.

I remember wool from my childhood (roughly the middle ages) as being itchy as hell. Wool has come a long way. Some wool blends are not itchy (smartwool) and some of the more expensive wool products (cashmere, merlino) are not either. Itchiness is less of an issue for a layer which doesn't come into direct contact with skin as well. Since my dabbling in wool is still recent I'm not sure how adaptable it is to different conditions but I'm initially encouraged with the socks, hats and sweaters/windshirts I am testing.

Polar Tech (spun polyester) seems to be much worse at blocking wind but much better at breathing/temperature moderating/not overheating than wool. Polyester is also bulkier but lighter than wool. We have not yet had bitter cold this year so more tests await.

-13F on Friday with little wind and i've never been as warm thanks to new gear. This was not playing only commuting and since i did not need to wade in the snow getting sweaty was no problem. Plastic breathes more and wicks better than wools of different types. Since i needed to wait for the bus there was little point in wearing skin cooling plastic base layer. It is great for staying _warmer_ when sweating like on the rounds.

Standing in place alone wool, Merino in my case, is great for staying warm. I had Swedish made Woolpower socks of 100 % Merino wool weighing 800 grams per square meter and long johns weighing 400. I had a thin Merino beanie under a thick Thinsulate reinforced beanie and a hood of the jacket on with gloves inside of Halti mittens and i was not cold at all anywhere but the nose and upper cheeks. The hood has a flap that goes in front of the chin and lower lip reducing wind chill more than you'd believe.

The plastics do not always wick and breathe well there are huge differences so ask around but i hear that Underarmor has good cooling base layer stuff. Normally wool does not wick and ventilate well. When playing i avoid some of the wool problems by using a golf vest out of Merino wool so the large arm openings ventilate well and Norwegian army uses the same Merino wool polo neck net shirt from Aclima that is on top of the vest.

My winter advice is wool socks. Wool doesn't get cold when wet, lasts a long time and (good wool) doesn't itch. For Christmas I gave some outdoors friends darn tough socks. The guy I see the most wears them almost every day. Oh yeah, it doesn't pick up smells easily also.

http://www.darntough.com

That because Prodigy discs cost twice as much as other brands, they last twice as long and fly twice as far!

;)

Losing weight and short jogging enroute to whereever like shopping increase the physical performance sneakily in as little as half a year. I have not gone out to jog too many times but have jogged almost weekly and please try high intensity training. On a bicycle 20 seconds full tilt then rest and repeat two more times. This is it. No sweating. Three times a week means 12 minutes per month. You can do it. It is not painful really after a couple of weeks even if you started out on the bottom like i almost did.

Today i went into a gym and ripped drives for two hours then had such an achy back that stretching and mild exercise and palm tree yoga pose plus deep stomach muscle training didn't remove the pain. That's what i get for starting off hard after throwing 3 times this winter thanks to PF. I still have it and it probably isn't helped by the fact that i jogged longer time wise than ever in my life. If somebody had told me that in this age after getting so many injuries in between running that long i'd have said GTFO. Consider me flabbergasted. I've not jogged more than a half of that time last year and the last time i jogged over 30 minutes was over 20 years ago. That dates me and back then i had no injuries. I went to practice with an achy knee from rapidly advancing in the bicycle training and adding resistance. No not outside in the gym. I'm glad and positively surprised.

I know that for sports performance and health benefits this result surpasses any advancements in DG i've ever had but it does not feel as good as breaking through a distance or form plateau. No matter i'm happy as hell still :-D Yay! BTW. having grip in the winter and using Vibram Komodosports was reeeeeaallly nice compared to jogging in the snow in winter boots :)

Barefoot runnning technique FTW!

Seems silly it's so basic but I read something about putting on the end of an exhale. I then started meditating in the morning as a way to exercise my breathing. So far the 3 rounds (over the course of a week) with meditation I was killing it in and outside of the circle. The 1 round I didn't meditate ended in my normal 7 strokes I left out there.

As in everything build up a routine in putting mine has the exhale as an automated process so i don't need to think about it. Well everything should be automated and the mind blank. Zen.

If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.

JHern said:
If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
I like this one. Stole it.

I've recently figured out that its better to be happy than be right. If she says the sky is purple and its obviously blue, we're both happier if I just agree.

7ontheline said:
...its better to be happy than be right...

If only everybody (especially our political "leaders") could figure this out...

I recently started putting with two discs in my hands, helps me relax. I got this tip from Cameron, for me its adds routine like when practicing.

JR said:
Yeah lets all hold hands and jump off of a ledge. Conformists. Bitches.

Happy conformist bitches, thank you very much.

Question everything :|

I think I just figured out what the "hard wrist stop" is supposed to feel like. I had no idea what people were talking about when they said "tendon bounce" before.

So today I threw a driver 380 feet, a good deal further than I've done before. And I got a blister on my pointer finger from the disc ripping out. In the past I've gotten some very tired muscles from throwing a lot, but this is my first blister. I've never been so happy about a blister!

Also there's a hole with a big right turn on my course. The mandy is halfway down the fairway, and after it the basket is about 45 degrees to the right, another 150 feet or so. It's mostly open but you can't be very high on the panning left to right half. I usually flip my TL but for some reason it ends up too high a lot.

I learned that I can throw my most overstable disc at an anhyzer, not very high, to turn right, and it will flex out to straight after the mandy, gain lift, and head straight for the basket. Beautiful!

There is more chance of skin wear from a slipped disc than a ripping one. Gripping tighter usually means that the fingers pop off faster meaning less friction time at least perhaps less strength of friction too i dunno about the latter. The skin will toughen over time as long as you don't get blisters and the skin will peel off. In the mean time you should limit the amounts of throws and allow the skin to grow back and probably use sports tape on the finger.

Throwing lower is a hurdle that needs many components of form to right like shifting the weight forward. Video is a great tool because often times people throw differently to what they think they are doing.

Congratulations on the added distance and new lines.

JR said:
There is more chance of skin wear from a slipped disc than a ripping one. Gripping tighter usually means that the fingers pop off faster meaning less friction time at least perhaps less strength of friction too i dunno about the latter. The skin will toughen over time as long as you don't get blisters and the skin will peel off. In the mean time you should limit the amounts of throws and allow the skin to grow back and probably use sports tape

Throwing lower is a hurdle that needs many components of form to right like shifting the weight forward. Video is a great tool because often times people throw differently to what they think they are doing.

I definitely had a big mix of slipped discs and ripped discs today. I think it depended on how hard I remembered to pinch it. I could tell that the ones I pinched harder turned over less and faded later which was cool. But I guess I didn't know which was causing the blister. But yeah I won't be playing for a few days so I'll be fine. Thanks for the help!

bents said:
But I guess I didn't know which was causing the blister. But yeah I won't be playing for a few days so I'll be fine.

Tape the blister area with a few layers of paper tape and play on.

I have been taping for years. It prevents the next blister or callus from forming.

Mark Ellis said:
Tape the blister area with a few layers of paper tape and play on.

If only I didn't have a ton of work to catch up on before Monday. I timed it so that I'd be sore for a few days from the field work plus weight lifting so that I'm not too tempted to play. It worked! I'm so sore that my muscle memory would be garbage. :)

I finally learned how to throw one of my drivers really well. Was so excited, that I made an extra throw on a hole where that disc is not the right call. Watched it sale over the trees right and land softly in the bayou. Not one I can buy locally either. :oops:

Latest posts