• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official 'Ask Paul McBeth' Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up with Paul Ulibarri's footwork?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it (he's one of the best in the world) but it's certainly not a traditional X-step.

Thank you i heard it was going to go up because the unoffical had the field cut in half

seems like several ratings changed... I would've sworn Nikko's first round was unofficially 1118 (not far off 1126 and would've gotten a lot of talk if not for your crazy low round), but now is 1111. A few of my rounds changed too... but that seems to be the norm.

seems like several ratings changed... I would've sworn Nikko's first round was unofficially 1118 (not far off 1126 and would've gotten a lot of talk if not for your crazy low round), but now is 1111. A few of my rounds changed too... but that seems to be the norm.

Chuck said on day 3 that Nikko's rating would go down. The SSA for Vista was even lower on day 3 so when they averaged the ratings out between day 1 and day 3 the ratings on day 1 dropped a few points and the ratings on day 3 rose a few points.

Why do they have to average SSA's for a tourney where the same course is played multiple times? It would be more accurate to have each round calculated with its own SSA because conditions can vary greatly. I've played a tournament where first round it was insanely windy, 25+ mph, and second round it was much less so ~10-15 mph, but the same score both rounds was rated the same where it was much harder to shoot that score first round.

Was looking at who was registered for the Glass Blown Open earlier on the PDGA website and noticed your name wasn't on there. Are you skipping that?

that putt was funny I was showing Bobby that it was out of bounds and asked him should i lay up? Bobby said i see nothing but the basket then i just turned around and said why would i lay up i havent missed all day. i made it and Bobby said why would you even think about laying up when you don't miss haha it was a fun sequence of events. I also knew i had a big lead and only had one 4 all tournament on hole 16 BS :wall: so I figured i'd try to leave it that way.

It was pure gold! After watching you guys both days I'm out here practicing my ass off trying to get the putts like that and the distance you have. Even on that hole and 15 on the back you made it look so effortless where I'm lucky to get that kind of pull, hell the only time I've gone ob on 16 was in the lake >.<

We have decision rules on when to combine rounds and when not to do so and the standards are tightest when there are more than 120 propagators like the Memorial. If the SSA difference between rounds on the same layout is less than 1.1, then we combine the scores from both rounds so the players get the same rating for the same score. If Vista R1 and R3 SSAs were more than 1.1 apart, then each round's ratings would have been done separately.

In Paul's case, he benefited from our rule where we use the SSA from a full field round, in this case R2 on Fountain, when the field is cut down for the 4th round like at the Memorial and USDGC. The 4th round SSA in this case is driven artificially lower because you only have players playing who have already shown they are playing well on average. So it's not a "random sample" of all players who signed up to play at that point like it was in R2. The only time we would use the 4th round SSA is if the playing conditions were significantly worse than the previous round on that course.

Of course, the unofficial ratings software online is not programmed to make these kinds of decisions. So we have to wait and see some of these records until we can process them looking at the overall event picture and not just a single round.

What's up with Paul Ulibarri's footwork?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it (he's one of the best in the world) but it's certainly not a traditional X-step.

he learned it from a local guy at his home course when he first started. he has tried to change it but it doesn't stick that long.

yea his would have stayed the same if nobody shot good on friday. it's normal for them to change a few points up or down.

It was pure gold! After watching you guys both days I'm out here practicing my ass off trying to get the putts like that and the distance you have. Even on that hole and 15 on the back you made it look so effortless where I'm lucky to get that kind of pull, hell the only time I've gone ob on 16 was in the lake >.<

thanks man i try to putt a lot of work into my putts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts