• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The River

I'm trying to get a feel for the range of stability between Opto and GL, and in terms of dome height. Does anyone have a rundown of how these are flying across ranges of dome/PLH as well as Opto vs. GL? I've read through most of the pages here, but what I have seen seems a little inconclusive.

Fightingthetide said:
I'm trying to get a feel for the range of stability between Opto and GL, and in terms of dome height. What I think I understand so far is that Optos tend to have more dome and thus have more turn and fade, making them harder to control, whereas most GL's tend to have less dome amd are easier to control with less turn and less fade. Is that the case for Opto vs. GL? Or is that strictly dependent on dome and PLH?

Most consider discs that turn and fade easier to control....I haven't thrown a ton of Rivers, but I can say the FRs had a lot of really domey Optos and the GLs were all over the place. I'm happy to say the latest run seems more consistent across plastics. I haven't thrown any Rivers that were real flippy though. I've found the biggest difference to be weight...The ones around 170 require less power for the super glide than the heavies that work the same with a stronger throw.

i let a buddy with 500' power throw my 169 gl river last weekend. he was crushing it flat and still not turning it over. he was impressed with it for sure but still stuck on the innova/discraft or it can't be that good mindset.

The issues I was having with the 178 color shift River was all me. Spent some time with the disc ironed out my form issues. Now I am getting great S shaped flight patterns and getting some of the longest throws I have ever had with any disc. Being a low power player this disc sure helps strech out my drives. Some of the longer holes on the courses I play are usually a bogey hole for me but I have been getting par on those holes and that has realy helped the score card.

discspeed said:
Fightingthetide said:
I'm trying to get a feel for the range of stability between Opto and GL, and in terms of dome height. What I think I understand so far is that Optos tend to have more dome and thus have more turn and fade, making them harder to control, whereas most GL's tend to have less dome amd are easier to control with less turn and less fade. Is that the case for Opto vs. GL? Or is that strictly dependent on dome and PLH?

Most consider discs that turn and fade easier to control....I haven't thrown a ton of Rivers, but I can say the FRs had a lot of really domey Optos and the GLs were all over the place. I'm happy to say the latest run seems more consistent across plastics. I haven't thrown any Rivers that were real flippy though. I've found the biggest difference to be weight...The ones around 170 require less power for the super glide than the heavies that work the same with a stronger throw.

I changed my post right before you responded because I know what I said was a bit off, as far as what a "controllable disc" is. That's what I was looking for, though. Thanks again for the help. I picked up a barely used 173 GL today that is almost identical to the one I ordered. It barely had any signs of wear, but the dome seemed more pronounced. I just wasn't sure if that would make it fly much different.

I picked up a 168g, Blue, Opto River this past weekend and so far, so good.

I think the comparisons of a longer, faster, leopard are pretty accurate for the particular disc I received. I was surprised at just how much longer than my star leopards it was though. I've also seen some people compare it to Valkyries, but I didn't get that vibe from it. It didn't seem as touchy as some of my Valkyries and I certainly couldn't get the River out to the same distances. I have been throwing Valks for years now though, so this may be a premature observation.

The only knock I have on it is how it handles the wind. In tailwinds, it was fine, but headwinds and crosswinds made it very unpredictable. I guess that is the sacrifice you make when you throw a glide machine.

Blue GL might be the best disc color ever. Mine has a PLUS(+)-like rim, which I like less than my XL that flies and glides identically.

Edit to add: I'm skeptical that those calling the River a breakthrough disc have thrown an XL. Old disc now- breakthrough disc (and distance record holder) then...

I'd be surprised about an XL going as far but i've only thrown the FLX beefy fading out version. My longest Valk shots match my longest River shots but the frequency of 400' tosses with Rivers is way way higher. And if i don't get everything on the River right it ain't gonna get to close to 400' matching normal Valk distance for me.

I had a chance to throw the River today in flat open field with no wind. I was only getting it out to about 325 or so and never once threw it farther than my valks, which were sitting right around 350 today. My Leo throws were at 300. I was going for consistency just to get a baseline comparison between them, so I wasn't going for max distance, not that my max distance gets much farther than that.

So far, I'm really enjoying the River. It feels good, looks good and seems to be very controllable. I think it is going to replace my leopards. I'm sure part of that is the vanity of having a sexy swede in my bag, but part of it is also based on the fact that I think it will improve my game.

Those distances sound good. The River has a high power requirement for long shots and without a lot of power it will fade out early and be short. Valk is way faster and River gets far by gliding and not fading. If it fades it won't go far. My longest hyzer flip to flat low fade shot with the River went 415' the same as Star Sidewinder of the new not so squirrely variety. Only a new DX Valk won't fade out on me. The River is a bit more HSS than the Leo so that part of throwing it is easier.

I have an opto. The problem I'm having is with inconsistency in flight which is probably due to minor variations in release angle. On one throw it will go into a fade as soon as I release it, as though it were an overstable disc. The next time I throw it, it will go right into hs turn. However, it does hold whatever line it takes for a long time. Other discs are not as touchy with the release angle as the River.

A disc with similar flight ratings that I like a lot is the Jackal, by Discmania. That thing can hold a straight line for a long way.

logjammin said:
I have an opto. The problem I'm having is with inconsistency in flight which is probably due to minor variations in release angle. On one throw it will go into a fade as soon as I release it, as though it were an overstable disc. The next time I throw it, it will go right into hs turn. However, it does hold whatever line it takes for a long time. Other discs are not as touchy with the release angle as the River.

A disc with similar flight ratings that I like a lot is the Jackal, by Discmania. That thing can hold a straight line for a long way.

That really sounds like a snap or spin issue with your release. Are you getting a consistent release (snap) from throw to throw?

My point, though, is that the line that the disc takes on a given throw is harder to predict than that of other discs. I don't have a perfect release, and the imperfections become more apparent when I throw a river.

Gotcha. Still think its release based though. Its making me wonder if the curve of the rim on the River might be screwing with you

I suppose it could be but with all the time I've spent throwing Rivers I just don't see it as the nose sensitive disc I've heard a handful of people refer to it as now. But yeah, I could be totally off base here.

I'm on the same boat with Jero of River not being nose angle sensitive, but it's harder to get it to spin with the same throw I use for most discs, I have to really concentrate on the spin or otherwise it'll turn like a DX sidewinder.

I'm not noticing spin issues at 20 RPS 55 MPH and i don't have nose angle sensitivity issues. I also have not noticed hard fades so what kind of distance you have on the immediately fading throws? Are they shorter than flat or annied throws? Slips? Slant can make slips easier. Where does your thumb lie? Can you move it toward the center in about quarter inch increments to see if the fading throws go away?

I don't have any Rivers that are as understable as Sidewinders. Even when i'm not worrying about spin.