• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Temple Of ROC!!!!

That course looks amazing.

The only VA disc golf i've played so far is Danville, it was hellacious. Loved the little 9 hole putter warmup though, finished 6 under the first time!

Furthur said:
I was going to play that course when I was up at VT for my brother's graduation
You weren't here for graduation 4 days ago, were you?
We got 18 inches of snow and everything shut down. I think they cancelled the graduation ceremony. I'm sure there were lots of angry parents.

marmoset said:
Furthur said:
I was going to play that course when I was up at VT for my brother's graduation
You weren't here for graduation 4 days ago, were you?
We got 18 inches of snow and everything shut down. I think they cancelled the graduation ceremony. I'm sure there were lots of angry parents.

Nope. He graduated in May.

marmoset said:
Golden Hills in Blacksburg, Virginia. Right near Virginia Tech.
Bring your putters, your mids, and your patience; there are LOTS of trees.
Oh, and bring your disc finding skills because there are tons of places to lose a disc.

It really is a good course but it doesn't force you to learn all the aspects of well rounded golf.

I've played that course. I love it. Further . . it is like a cross between the Pen and Shaver.

cmlasley said:
marmoset said:
Oh, and bring your disc finding skills because there are tons of places to lose a disc.

It really is a good course but it doesn't force you to learn all the aspects of well rounded golf.

I've played that course. I love it. Further . . it is like a cross between the Pen and Shaver.

I assume the wooded part of the Penn?

marmoset said:

I helped build that course with my buddies in VA.The Sontag course in Franklin County,Va is the new one they built. Par 65 three sets of tees.

discraft said:
marmoset said:

I helped build that course with my buddies in VA.The Sontag course in Franklin County,Va is the new one they built. Par 65 three sets of tees.

IMO, Sontag is THE course in the area. Loves it.

I finally decided to give the rocs a try after these came out...how could I not.
dxrocgatorblue.jpg

I'm willing to give them a shot for the next 4 months. I understand people have multiple dx's in stages of ware but was wondering if any one throws strictly kc's in different stage's of ware?

I would say that more people play KC's in different stages of wear than DX. I throw my most worn Roc in DX, just because it can "wear" there faster and if it needs to be replaced it doesn't take as long. My straight and overstable Rocs are flat KC.

No some of them are not really "fair" fairways. The alleys are there, but to see them you either have to use good spatial awareness or play the course enough.

Panthorn DGC is one of a kind in CT. the closest thing would be Tolland DGC in CT. both i think are wooded for all 18 holes, Panthorn i think plays longer. punishing when drives go in the rough. not as beautiful as the other CT course though...

i think wooded courses breed better players. you have to hit gaps and have all your shots. mid range disc control is critical for success.

ok so i searched threw a few threads but didnt really come up with a decent conclusion. im looking to get a champion roc,are the sanny molds in champ more overstable than a 12x/11x kc pro? i found one thread that said the champ sanny was a step above the kc pros but i figured id ask for more opinions. thanks guys

from least to most stable (doesn't vary much between plastics afaik)
ontario
sanny
rancho

BLURR said:
Hitting gaps is one thing...but that it just ridiculous. Ozark Mtn. is more fair than those pic's I saw.

6, 7, 8 at Shaver sort of look like that 1st picture.

booter said:
ok so i searched threw a few threads but didnt really come up with a decent conclusion. im looking to get a champion roc,are the sanny molds in champ more overstable than a 12x/11x kc pro? i found one thread that said the champ sanny was a step above the kc pros but i figured id ask for more opinions. thanks guys

That's probably about right. The Star Sanny I've thrown was more overstable out of the box than a KC. It flies like one of those old stable Champion Sharks.

So I went to a PIAS while I was in Dallas this week. While sifting through the used bin I kept coming across nice beat Rocs. I hadn't thrown Rocs in nearly a year, mostly because I would lose one every time it started seasoning up and partly because I was not a fan of the bead. I picked up 4 for my buddy, a Rancho, Ontario, 11x KC, and an '07 Super Roc. I could have had a half dozen more.

I went out to play a round yesterday and tossed the Rocs in the bag alongside the Buzzzes. The Rocs were much more fun. They were so easy to turn and shape and the nose angle sensitivity was so forgiving. If I had a bad nose-up release the disc flattened and finished fairly straight, where the buzz would just flare hard left with the same release. I could throw it soft and get similar results to throwing it hard, without sacrificing distance from my Buzzes.

Most of the ones I picked up had a slightly warped rim, not taco'd or anything, but there was a distinct wave. The flight didn't seem affected by it tho.

Do the Super Rocs suck? I never see them get any love and mine seemed to fade a little harder and faster than the others despite being in a similar stage of wear.

Moral to the story, my buddy isn't getting these Rocs, and I like Kool Aid. :D

Latest posts