• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Temple Of ROC!!!!

I am really glad I don't have any of these mysterious rocs that lose stability after hitting one tree or being throw eight times or whatever that people who don't throw rocs complain about.

Trey133 said:
Hyzerline49 said:
took a trip to a course about an hour and a half from my house yesterday. on the second hole i found a sweet 11x roc! ran back to my car and put my buzzz's in the trunk. played the rest of that round with that roc alongside my comet and man was it awesome!

I will say, the Roc Comet combo gave me more mid range confidence than any other middy combo. Two of the best discs in the game.

Now I'm using the MD2 Roc combo and my most beat C MD2 (usdgc stamp run) now acts as a faster star shark.
yeah I've heard really good things about these two together, and in the last few rounds I've used them, I've been throwing my midranges more consistently and and accurately. now its just time to beat in a dx rancho to fill the gap between them!

I play a lot, and I play a lot in thick woods. I have two DX. One really straight that I got ~9 months ago, one that's about a month hold. It just seems conducive to my wallet and sanity to have one that will stay really stable for a long time.

Frank Delicious said:
I am really glad I don't have any of these mysterious rocs that lose stability after hitting one tree or being throw eight times or whatever that people who don't throw rocs complain about.
:lol:

Frank Delicious said:
KC roc or realistically, a star or champ rancho are fairly cheap to come by nowadays and could be picked up.

and fly like shit IMO. I havent thrown a recent run of star or champ rocs (although i havent thrown the production +'s) that fly anything like the DX/KC that I love. Honestly if I had to throw premium rocs and base plastic rocs didnt exist, id prolly just throw a that discraft mid everyone is in love with (except the people with common sense in this thread)

well they are more stable and less glidey than the KC and DX rocs but you have to make trade offs for durability.

lowracks said:
Just get a max weight KC Pro. I have several of these that have been in the bag for over 2 years and are still nice and stable.

Unfortunately KCs with flight numbers break faster than DX on my rocky home course. That disc is domier and softer than the good ole KCs. Damn!

Frank Delicious said:
well they are more stable and less glidey than the KC and DX rocs but you have to make trade offs for durability.
The star fits into my rotation pretty well. I know they don't fly like a dx Roc but they work when I need a stronger finish. I don't know anything about champ Rocs but the stars do benefit from a break in period

I've been thinking about trying Roc as my only mid, but all these different molds just confuse me. DX, DX Ontario, DX Classic, KC Pro, R-Pro, Star San Marino, Champion +... I'm looking for something, that beats into a nice, straight flyer and then one that would beat into a nice turnover mid. Which molds should I go with?

And merry christmas!

Roottori said:
I've been thinking about trying Roc as my only mid, but all these different molds just confuse me. DX, DX Ontario, DX Classic, KC Pro, R-Pro, Star San Marino, Champion +... I'm looking for something, that beats into a nice, straight flyer and then one that would beat into a nice turnover mid. Which molds should I go with?

And merry christmas!

Well, I carry the Roc/MD2 combo as well. It is a great 1-2 combo for mid's.

180g DX Rancho Roc (new'ish)
180g C-MD2 (new'ish, freak overstable)
178g S-MD2 (worn, workhorse mid for me)
180g D-MD2 (new DGR)
178g DX Ontario Roc (thrashed)

My hope is to replace the thrashed Ontario Roc with the D-MD2 as it wears in. So far, signs point to it being a good replacement for the Ontario after some wear. If you want to stick with just "rocs", then I would get two dx rancho's and two dx ontario's.

Roottori said:

And merry christmas!
1) Buy a DX Roc with the stock stamp. It will be a Rancho. Flip it over and read the tooling if you don't trust me.

2) Throw it. It should start out fairly stable, easy to put on a hyzer line. If you like it, keep throwing it. It will beat in and lose a bit of the fade.

3) Buy another plain old DX Roc with the stock stamp (it will still be a Rancho) for the slot where you want the fade. Keep throwing them. They will continue to beat in until your first Roc will become easy to turn. By then you should have beat a lot of the fade out of your second Roc.

4) Buy another plain old DX Roc with the stock stamp (it will still be a Rancho) for the slot where you want the fade. You will have three Rocs in the bag and they will be able to cover just about any mid shot you need to throw. Congratulations! You are cycling Rocs.

If you want to extend the break-in time, buy KC Pro Rocs. They also will be Ranchos. They will cycle the same way, but it takes longer to break them in. This is somehow universally considered a good thing by everyone but me, because I'm impatient and want that damn Roc to break in NOW! So that's it, easy to find stock-stamped DX and/or KC Rocs. No mystery necessary. Once you get into Rocs, THEN you can get super anal-retentive about looking for the "perfect" Roc (which is no different from any other disc.)

A lot of who are Roc only guys just throw the dx Rocs you find at any standard store. The current mold is the Rancho mold. Also, the current run of KC Rocs are the same mold as the dx Rocs, but are made of a harder plastic that breaks in slower.

All baseline/midline large diameter (ie non-classic) discs beat into nice predictable turnover discs. Ontatios beat in the quickest, followed by San Marinos, and then Ranchos.

Just do what Stuffy above says. People who aren't Roc throwers are just making it too complicated by. It first trying the 'standard' Roc.

Those of us that are Roc throwers help make it complicated. I found out this summer that I had guys searching around for Ontarios because I showed them two old Ontarios that are still in my bag. They interpreted that as me telling them they needed to get Ontarios for their turnover Roc slot. I don't think that's true, a beat Rancho makes a great turnover Roc. It just happens that my most dependable turnover Rocs are Ontarios, but that has more to do with when I started hoarding Rocs than what I would recommend to a new Roc thrower.

The Rancho mold actually makes it easier to start throwing Rocs now than when I did because it is a better overall mold than the Ontario. When I started throwing Rocs we really did have to search all over Hell for a San Marino.

Right, thanks guys. Sounds like I'll just start cycling those Rancho DX ones, if they work for me.

And by the way, are there any differences between different colors?

Not really. There have been so many runs of Rocs that you can't look at color as an indicator. Some people like particular runs (I've been digging on the stiff ones from past year right now), but for the most part they all fly the same.