• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

Innova seriously needs to bring back estar. I on have experience with Teebirds in that plastic, but it's magical.
How does star work better for you? Distance? Stability?

Star seems to be a tiny bit more predictable than G*. I also think Star is a little longer. I like the plastic better, so maybe it's an overall comfort thing for me.

How are the different plastics flying for people?
I have a 166 champ glow that seems to be working it's way into my bag. I can get a nice flex out of it with a flat release, or add some hyser if I need it to get left. It's in a great spot for my arm speed. I wouldn't mind a back up at some point, and also a slightly more stable one. Maybe a max weight champ glow?
Is it plastic or wind height that seems to dictate the stability?
Do people find star or gstar longer? Similar stability?

The Tern is one of those discs (along with the Boss) that has different flight numbers for the Champion discs vs. the other plastics. The Champ Tern's turn and fade is -2,2; while the Star is -3,2 (and older discs may say -4,2).

My Star Terns have always been less overstable than my two Champ Terns, and usually give me better distance (and that's with one of my Champ Terns being 157g).

Innova seriously needs to bring back estar. I on have experience with Teebirds in that plastic, but it's magical.

E* TBs are magical, E*DS was the Tern or Shryke before they existed, E*ThBs would be amazing, as would E* Shrykes. Too bad "everyone" wants these ugly Swirly Star. Just give me color glow Star and bring back E*. I wish I had an E*Tern, something tells me I would've loved one.

By far my favorite Tern. Eco Star is also my favorite TeeBird. And Destroyer.

C'mon Innova!

E* TBs are magical, E*DS was the Tern or Shryke before they existed, E*ThBs would be amazing, as would E* Shrykes. Too bad "everyone" wants these ugly Swirly Star. Just give me color glow Star and bring back E*. I wish I had an E*Tern, something tells me I would've loved one.

Totally agree, and I'll add the EStar Archon to the list of molds that are great in EStar. Nowadays I'm using Pro plastic, which isn't a totally bad substitute. But yes, bring EStar back...

Totally agree, and I'll add the EStar Archon to the list of molds that are great in EStar. Nowadays I'm using Pro plastic, which isn't a totally bad substitute. But yes, bring EStar back...

I agree, the Pro they make now is pretty good plastic, like a lesser Star, but not that bad.

How are the different plastics flying for people?
I have a 166 champ glow that seems to be working it's way into my bag. I can get a nice flex out of it with a flat release, or add some hyser if I need it to get left. It's in a great spot for my arm speed. I wouldn't mind a back up at some point, and also a slightly more stable one. Maybe a max weight champ glow?
Is it plastic or wind height that seems to dictate the stability?
Do people find star or gstar longer? Similar stability?

Glow Tern for me seemed a little beefier and less glidey than star or regular champion. Good disc for bigger arms. I was still able to get it over 400' easily. Just didn't have the huge flex glide that most other Terns do.

Glow Tern for me seemed a little beefier and less glidey than star or regular champion. Good disc for bigger arms. I was still able to get it over 400' easily. Just didn't have the huge flex glide that most other Terns do.

Thanks!
I have a 167 star on the way, I'm curious to see how it flies for me. I'm hoping it will flip up for me a little easier without getting too touchy.

The Tern is one of those discs (along with the Boss) that has different flight numbers for the Champion discs vs. the other plastics. The Champ Tern's turn and fade is -2,2; while the Star is -3,2 (and older discs may say -4,2).

My Star Terns have always been less overstable than my two Champ Terns, and usually give me better distance (and that's with one of my Champ Terns being 157g).

My experience exactly. It seems to be a good disc to help eliminate nose up throws as well. They are very apparent when they happen.

My experience exactly. It seems to be a good disc to help eliminate nose up throws as well. They are very apparent when they happen.

However I seem to get more distance out of them that way. I think Terns are better than Shrykes for FHs, but the opposite may be true for BHs (the jury had a consensus, but has recently acquired more evidence which must be gome through first).

Thanks!
I have a 167 star on the way, I'm curious to see how it flies for me. I'm hoping it will flip up for me a little easier without getting too touchy.

I just had a 167 *Tern show up at my house the other day. It's the dopest! Flip up and big glidey turn when thrown on hyzer more hyzer for straighter shots and flat for big ass turnovers. Bomber for sure.

I just had a 167 *Tern show up at my house the other day. It's the dopest! Flip up and big glidey turn when thrown on hyzer more hyzer for straighter shots and flat for big ass turnovers. Bomber for sure.

Took this disc in the course for the first time last night After having only done field work with it. I must say I am nothing less than impressed, I was getting near 400' of distance with th I had boy. Also on my home course there's a few lines that just seen to require the Tern, or something like it. Great disc!

I happen to have a lead on some E*Terns. I liked the pair of Stars I had, much more than the Champs I've tried, so what makes E*s special?

I happen to have a lead on some E*Terns. I liked the pair of Stars I had, much more than the Champs I've tried, so what makes E*s special?

I wish I knew. Maybe they are just like the hyrbid child of Champ and Star, both of which have their pluses. Mid to high 160s just bomb without burning for me.

Latest Tern I threw was a shimmer? star. Metallic looking silver plastic. I'm not sure I love the plastic. It seems to ding easily and not be durable. The disc itself is outstanding. Very domey with a ton of glide. Perfect Tern flight. Pretty big high speed turn followed by a healthy fade. Huge S curve bomber. I rather enjoyed this disc. It reminded me of a Shryke.

Probably the best flying Tern I've thrown in years. Domier than most I've seen too.

I'd love to know what the plastic was on the World's Star Terns. Those were the best ever. A few always available on eBay, but pretty pricey.

I wish I knew. Maybe they are just like the hyrbid child of Champ and Star, both of which have their pluses. Mid to high 160s just bomb without burning for me.

EStars are composed partially of recycled material. They tend to start out identically ot Stars (in feel and flight), then after some use they rather quickly (I'd even say "suddenly") break in, and my experience is that when they break in, they're just that much better. :thmbup: It IS hard to explain...

Latest Tern I threw was a shimmer? star. Metallic looking silver plastic. I'm not sure I love the plastic. It seems to ding easily and not be durable. The disc itself is outstanding. Very domey with a ton of glide. Perfect Tern flight. Pretty big high speed turn followed by a healthy fade. Huge S curve bomber. I rather enjoyed this disc. It reminded me of a Shryke..

I'm not a fan of Shimmer Star. :thmbdown: I got a Mystere to try out when the CFR Shmmer Stars was all that had been made. I did not like the feel of the plastic (a bit too close to GStar for my liking), and I did not like the flight of the Shimmer Star Mystere at all.

The Star Mysteres are vastly superior in feel and flight. :thmbup:

I currently have 2 champ and 1 echostar Terns in my bag

the E* is domier than the champ and quite a bit less HSS

I would say the plastic is better for this time of year (grip / feel wise) if you are in northern climes

EStars are composed partially of recycled material. They tend to start out identically ot Stars (in feel and flight), then after some use they rather quickly (I'd even say "suddenly") break in, and my experience is that when they break in, they're just that much better. :thmbup: It IS hard to explain...

I'm not a fan of Shimmer Star. :thmbdown: I got a Mystere to try out when the CFR Shmmer Stars was all that had been made. I did not like the feel of the plastic (a bit too close to GStar for my liking), and I did not like the flight of the Shimmer Star Mystere at all.

The Star Mysteres are vastly superior in feel and flight. :thmbup:

Well, I've thrown 2 shimmer star discs now. The Tern and Mystere. The plastic is only meh for me. It seems worse than regular star and gets beat up easily. The Tern flew very well, but the Mystere didn't. I agree that I liked the regular star Mystere more than the shimmer one. It seems like Innova did a knockoff of Discraft's ti plastic. The ti plastic is better quality though.

Latest posts