• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Valkyrie, a discussion.........

Hey everybody,

Reviving this old thread for a simple question. How do New Star Valks compare to new Champion Valks? Brother's birthday is coming up and he throws champ valks but mentioned an interest in trying out some in Star. Specifically, I'm looking at upper 160 and lower 170 weights.

Thanks!

I bought a few of the XXL Valks from DGU and the Star was more true to numbers with the champ being more stable, maybe more like a CD2.

Hey everybody,

Reviving this old thread for a simple question. How do New Star Valks compare to new Champion Valks? Brother's birthday is coming up and he throws champ valks but mentioned an interest in trying out some in Star. Specifically, I'm looking at upper 160 and lower 170 weights.

Thanks!

It's been a good while since I bought a Star Valkyrie, but over a year ago, closer to two now, I bought a couple o Star Valks in the upper 160 class. They were FAF flat top, one was a factory second and the other was production stamp. They both were very overstable and had little to no glide. I took one of them out to the range a few months ago, and even with my improved form and distance, the FAF Star Valk was very overstable, like a Thunderbird or Star FL. My factory second Champion Valk was not nearly as overstable (though it was not very glide-y).

So my recommendation is find a more domey Star Valk. If you're ordering online, contact the seller and ask about the dome on the discs. If you're buying in a store, you'll be able to see the discs themselves.

Gstar and Pro are fantastic fliers. Star/Champ need to beat in before they really get to that sweet spot.

These guys got it right, flat Valks tend towards overstable and glideless. GStar and Pro work in faster.

I like the Gstar because they are "flatter" but not FAF so therefore they still have glide but also feel nice in the hand. Gstar is actually an incredible plastic for drivers. Most fly close to the numbers, more durable than Pro.

Star v. Champ

For most discs I throw, I notice a considerable difference in their behavior, depending upon the plastic. That said, I have Valks in both of these plastics, and for me, they fly fairly similar - much more so than other discs I have in both (Sidewinders, Leopards, Makos, for example).

Hey everybody,

Thanks!

Thanks for the wonderful feedback. Looks like I'll be ordering a GStar one, I know he likes throwing that plastic. Probably pick him up another Champion, and if I see a good one at a store I'll snag a Star.

Used to swear by valks. First disc I could throw correctly and get its intended flight. First disc I had in multiple plastics that opened my eyes to bagging multiples of the same mold. Comfortable in the hand. Predictable. Plenty of stability options across plastics and domeyness.

Unfortunately for innova I found the River/Saint combo. This is like taking a valk and widening its settings potential in all directions (save for maybe total max distance but that's debatable and mostly achieved in a dx with ample beat in). All in a very consistent feel.

I keep trying to put a valk back in my bag but whenever I am at the field throwing everything I have the valk just never impresses when put up against my Saint's and River's.

I keep trying to put a valk back in my bag but whenever I am at the field throwing everything I have the valk just never impresses when put up against my Saint's and River's.

For me it's the Sidewinder and Star SL. The Sidewinder, especially in Champion plastic for me, has the glide the Valk doesn't, and the SL is stable-to-overstable like a Valk but gets (me) more distance.

I use a 140 gm starlite valk for stand still fairway shots in the winter, I can shape all kinds crazy lines and it goes very far with little efford. Also a 165 champ and dx I put in the bag for open courses.

I've been throwing Valkyries for a couple of years now. I've bagged two Glow Champion and a Star. All max weight and flat. Would rate their flight ratings at 9/4/-1.5/2. Just a great example of how really good Innova's early molds are. Easy to see that Dave and company really took their time making sure this was going to fly right. Stable, comfortable in the hand and easy to get up to speed.

I've been throwing Valkyries for a couple of years now. I've bagged two Glow Champion and a Star. All max weight and flat. Would rate their flight ratings at 9/4/-1.5/2. Just a great example of how really good Innova's early molds are. Easy to see that Dave and company really took their time making sure this was going to fly right. Stable, comfortable in the hand and easy to get up to speed.

Exactly my thoughts I bag 5 and cover almost all my max distance shots. A CH. 158g flat and very high plh very OS. for me. A swirly CH. natural beauty 175g for moderate headwinds / hyzers and flex shots OS not as much as the 158g but less affect by wind. A 175 G* fly's just like the numbers. A 175 pro hyzer flips left to right shots. A five time JK. beaten hyzer flip to a long right turn and no fade/rolling. But I bag a predator for really strong headwinds. And own JK pros, pearly 5 times JK, Sandstorm's, a few good dx ones with a decent PLH. After writing this I think I need to buy some more �� Almost forgot to mention one green champ with a very blunt nose I know there are mold variations but it's just way out of specs. I like Valks

I have a domey 175 Echo Star Valk that is a F2 and it refuses to be an understable disc. I've been thinking that I should put it back in the bag but between my CD2 and P-PD I think that I have the slot covered. It used to be my main FH driver when I had less power but now I have so much OAT in my form almost anything with a hint of turn has to be Hyzerflipped for my FH.

Picked up a new 166g Champion Valkyrie and wow, wasn't expecting it to be flippy. It's a great US flyer out of the box.

Used to swear by valks. First disc I could throw correctly and get its intended flight. First disc I had in multiple plastics that opened my eyes to bagging multiples of the same mold. Comfortable in the hand. Predictable. Plenty of stability options across plastics and domeyness.

Unfortunately for innova I found the River/Saint combo. This is like taking a valk and widening its settings potential in all directions (save for maybe total max distance but that's debatable and mostly achieved in a dx with ample beat in). All in a very consistent feel.

I'm having the exact same experience. My Saint goes slightly farther and my River is more controllable. Still gonna keep my Valks for rollers though.

For me it's the Sidewinder and Star SL. The Sidewinder, especially in Champion plastic for me, has the glide the Valk doesn't, and the SL is stable-to-overstable like a Valk but gets (me) more distance.

Wrong, Valkyrie is hardly "stable-overstable".

...you've never thrown a Valkyrie, right? Just hate on it with your claim that it "lacks glide" here every chance you get. Despite the fact that it has enough glide to have held the world distance record at 820' for several years. Oh well...

^not to defend him, but if he threw one of the recent flat stars, those things are glideless and beefy.

Latest posts