• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Whittler

Drowsy

Bogey Member
The whittler does what no other disc will do, that's it's strong suit. Need an anhyzer line @ 5 mph for 65 ft. Done. Stuck under a tree 35 ft away and are taking a very low shot on a knee and youre shooting hip level, a normal putter would be lucky to hit basket. This thing will hit chains with a flick of the wrist. And I guaruntee this thing will double your 50+ hit %. If there isnt any wind that is.

Drowsy said:
And I guaruntee this thing will double your 50+ hit %. If there isnt any wind that is.
And I can guarantee you that you're wrong about that.

Most floaty lids will do the same sort of stuff the Whittler does, along with some other discs. It's a great disc but it isn't quite that unique.

A light APX will do much or all of the claims as well while being normally shaped. The APX is bad in a headwind too at least in soft 169 :)

the biggest problem I had with the whittler was it was so big it would sometimes hit the chains and still bounce out. That and the thing was a pain to carry in my bag.

I regularly hit jaw dropping putts on lines my buddy cant hit with his 11 year old beadless aviar. Continue telling me I'm wrong, but I have a feeling none of you have carried one for 3 years.

Frank Delicious said:
the biggest problem I had with the whittler was it was so big it would sometimes hit the chains and still bounce out. That and the thing was a pain to carry in my bag.
It's nice for the left side of my revolution, keeps discs out of the edges.

Drowsy said:
I regularly hit jaw dropping putts on lines my buddy cant hit with his 11 year old beadless aviar. Continue telling me I'm wrong, but I have a feeling none of you have carried one for 3 years.

There might be a reason very few people have carried one for three years.

played a tourney with a guy who had one. kept raving about it. i told him he should throw it on the upshot, (there was a bit of wind) he told me not to tell him what to throw. then proceeded to throw it, blow by the hole by 50 feet. then three putt for the 6. glorious day for the whittler.

I think the zepplin can do most of what your talking about as well. where i play there is always wind so most lids struggle.

Lets shift this more towards a lid thread. How many people hating on the whittler throw a.different lid.

Drowsy said:
Lets shift this more towards a lid thread. How many people hating on the whittler throw a.different lid.

If we are expanding into general lid discussion:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17697

Putters that float well to the basket typically don't fall neatly into the basket, and are prone to spits, kicks, bounces, etc.. I've tried putting lids for fun into a Mach Lite, thinking that the wide catching area and low chain density would help it catch better...it didn't help. The putters that fall into the basket best when they hit the chains are typically the ones that have the least glide when they arrive at the chains and behave more like blunt objects at ultra-low speeds. But to putt accurately, you must also find a way to make your putter fly to the basket...this is no mistake, Steady Ed designed it that way on purpose. If the chains were a more perfect catching device, then how floaty a disc is at 1 MPH wouldn't be relevant, but since they are imperfect, we will always have a catch-22 situation in this regard.

Frank Delicious said:
Drowsy said:

There might be a reason very few people have carried one for three years.
I've hit more putts with my Wizard than all other putters combined. That's why it's the only putter I carry. I can also throw it farther than a friend of mine can throw any of his discs.

The Whittler never gripped well enough for me to bag it. I'm happiest with a Birdie/Zephyr (which will fit in the front pocket of my Silverback) because of the inner rim. I don't like the rounded-ness of the Rattler/Whittler.

I'm a laser putter so lids and floaty low fade regular putters are up my alley. I did use the Rattler for about a year or so but it was literally a pain to putt and throw with having an arm injury that wasn't healed as well. Because of the injury i also had subconscious letting go of the disc to avoid damage even while putting. I'm afraid years later it may still be an issue with approaches and especially drives now. It may account for my tired days more frequent early release program issues as well as my slick dry skin. I did Wii Sports boxing and it helped in adding elbow straightening speed to make regular putting better so now i get all the benefits with regular discs except the blow by distances are longer. Luckily for me i've also learned to put better so my comeback putt make rate is better.

I don't practice putting much and it shows close to both sides of the circle and farther away. I did practice with the Rattler during one winter and i made long putts at a higher rate than i do now. Living by the sea with wind speeds up often and unexpected swirly gusts discs that can take some wind lasered help. The soft APX 169 i have can't take moderate headwinds without flipping some. The same for the lids but the Rattler is a little more HSS than the Whitler so it helps some. Being so flexible the Whitler can bend some in longer putts and approaches so it can wobble from bending back to shape after the release and it ain't good in a headwind because the whole disc will flutter and turn. The Rattler is more solidly constructed from a stiffer material so a win there too. The Rattler given enough hyzer can be driven like a driver because it won't bend. The Whitler can't be made to accelerate hard anywhere in the motion or it will bend and flip. As a consequence i can't throw the Whitler nearly as far repeatedly as i can the Rattler the way i want to. Also maximum distance shows that. 250' a few years back with the Rattler (more power and better form now) and under 200' with the Whitler accelerated hard like a driver.

I can't tell if i'd gain more distance with the Whitler smoothing it but i don't need to because i aim with snap among other things and when i do smooth and approach other discs are just fine. Ion, Anode, APX and Rattler will all do. I've only tossed a 150 Birdie and it fades out so maybe a max weight would be better. I know from a 105 Wizard that going too light adds fade to a putt. So there is plenty of competition to the Rattler and for many better options. Preferences count.