• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

They see me rollin'... they hatin'...

Rollers? Do you approve of their use?

• Total voters
I rolled my main backhand roller(Avenger SS) into the water on Saturday and replaced it with a much more stable ESP Avenger. That thing rolls a mile if I stand it up properly. The funny thing is I still forehand roll a beat ESP Surge that I never throw backhand.

Damn Ralph Nader for splitting the vote yet AGAIN!! :mad:

The only time I throw rollers is unintentionally. Basically I line up my putt stare at the basket, Epicly fail by hitting the basket, Then it rolls down the hill like 50 feet:wall:

Rollers are a killer shot to have down. There's one course around here (Seneca Creek) where they are absolutely necessary. I prefer to air out a disc any day but I've got a decent roller when I need it. Nothing wrong with a roller!

I could never get anything to roll until I got a Lightning Roller. If anyone is having that problem, go get one of those. They will turn over on a dime, if you throw them anhyzer. Throw them level and you have a nice understable turn.

Picking the "Ralph Nader" choice means what?

Ralph Nader is always a third party choice.

I view throwing rollers (off the tee anyway) as quiting. Sometimes you don't have much option when you're in a bush. I know that you can get more distance out of a roller sometimes and that it's difficult to do well, but I don't have a lot of respect for them. There are too many random factors on the ground for me to respect a great roller as anything but luck.

I also recognize that my stance on this is totally irrational and that rolling is obviously a practiced skill. I still don't consider them "legit."

I won't be upset when someone uses one, but I'm definitely going to give you a hard time if you throw a roller and don't out drive me (especially if you hit a stick).

I won't be upset when someone uses one, but I'm definitely going to give you a hard time if you throw a roller and don't out drive me (especially if you hit a stick).
On the other side of the coin, you might decide to learn how to roll if someone consistently out-drives you with one.......... I know that's what got me rollin'

I'm just starting to get the hang of a decent roller with a very beat in stingray. It's actually starting to go where I want it to. If anybody I play with gives me any crap about it, it doesn't bother me in the least.

I enjoy practicing rollers but rarely get the change to use them on the course. I can control my super-beat in DX Cheetah the best. My Champion Sidewinder will roll a lot farther... but that includes not only the distance from the tee, but also the distance to the right off of the intended line. I'll keep working on it, though. It definitely gets me more distance than any discs in the air.

As fun as it is to watch a roller go a long way, I still find it a lot more fun to rip an air shot almost as far. There is just something beautiful about watching a well thrown disc's flight.

Rollers are some of the most under-used shots in the game. I see many approach shots where people struggle to find a line, where I wouldn't even think about the shot, I'd just throw an easy FH roller and hit the gap I need effortlessly, instead of searching through the trees for some crazy sky hyzer route.

I love to watch a well thrown roller. I agree with Mike C that they are under-used, but that may be because the courses that I typically play aren't roller friendly because of tree roots, branches, or just about anything else that can be in the fairways. I will almost always air a disc out if I have any chance to, but there are times when a roller is the best option.

The last time I threw a roller off the tee, my disc turned over perfectly for the roll I wanted, a sharp turn to the right, but it hit a tree root shortly after starting to roll and it popped way up in the air and came down and stayed right on that tree root :wall:

I rolled my main backhand roller(Avenger SS) into the water on Saturday and replaced it with a much more stable ESP Avenger. That thing rolls a mile if I stand it up properly. The funny thing is I still forehand roll a beat ESP Surge that I never throw backhand.

It came back to me yesterday. The golden retirever guys like me.

I throw rollers as badly as any other shot. Well, actually, there more hit or miss than other shots for me, but on some holes, they can work great. I'm getting better with them, though.

I've only recently started throwing FH rollers (looks like im throwing a baseball at the ground). I started off with a Star Boss and now I'm using a DX Roc. I'm looking for a disc specifically for roller shots (FH or BH). Any suggestions? I throw speed 8-9 discs.