• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thickening Dye?

LawlessLevie

Hi everyone, Im new to this disc dyeing thing, but have done a couple dips that came out pretty good using rit. I just got some iDye Poly and mixed in 32 oz jars with water. I made a disc spinner, but the dye just runs off. I was wondering how I could thicken the dye I already mixed to use for the spinner, or if I have to get more dye packets? Could I mix the stuff i made with shaving cream and paint that on? Any Ideas?

Thanks
LawlessLevie

Use liquid detergent for painting on, spin technique uses acetone in the mix. Read the basics thread

I did read the basics thread, but I still am confused on whether to mix the powder dye into the detergent/acetone, or whether i can add the dye/water mix i made to the detergent/acetone?

Mix powder dye directly with clear laundry detergent. Acetone is optional I believe. But I think a lot of people use it. My ratio I usually use is 1:1 approx. So if you add a tbsp of dye powder add a tbsp of detergent. Play with the ratio though. I still haven't perfected the ratio. I use white vinegar instead of acetone but I know of some pretty sick dye jobbers that do use acetone. I just hear people say that acetone will warp the plastic n so forth so I try other alternatives. I do use it to wipe off stamps though. Good luck. Share your mixing results as well please.

I use methyl cellulose for applications where I need to thicken dye. I got mine from a chem student at a college near where I live, but it's pretty easy to find online. It'll be more expensive than laundry detergent, but I feel you end up with more control over how thick the dye ends up.

Latest posts