• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Thinner Putters?

I have smaller hands, and because of that I prefer to use a power grip at all times no matter what kind of disc or shot I'm throwing. I've messed around with using fan grips, modified fan grips, fork grips, etc when throwing putters but eventually I found that instead of working with different grips I could use the same power grip I use on drivers and midranges with smaller rimmed putters. I now bag a Colt for this specific reason, because it was one of the only small rimmed putters I could find. Since adopting the small rimmed putters, I've been able to work much better lines off the tee pad. That being said, the Colt and Stud both have rims that are smaller than most "small" rimmed putters, so they may not feel good in hand to everyone

I have smaller hands, and because of that I prefer to use a power grip at all times no matter what kind of disc or shot I'm throwing. I've messed around with using fan grips, modified fan grips, fork grips, etc when throwing putters but eventually I found that instead of working with different grips I could use the same power grip I use on drivers and midranges with smaller rimmed putters. I now bag a Colt for this specific reason, because it was one of the only small rimmed putters I could find. Since adopting the small rimmed putters, I've been able to work much better lines off the tee pad. That being said, the Colt and Stud both have rims that are smaller than most "small" rimmed putters, so they may not feel good in hand to everyone

Nice to see that I am not the only one with small hands. Mine as an adult born December, 20 1988 are the same size as a kids XL-adult x-small. I have to use an odd putting style with the left hand guiding the disc flat, the type of Putting style I do has the Up and down being the only equation to still correct. I do a power slant grip basically a slanted version of the power grip to have control of the disc when I throw or it does not come clean out of the hand. I use a Magnet, if somebody made a putter that is a lower profile disc though the same disc I might try it out as a putter. I have tried low profile putters in the hand and keep going back to the Magnets one for approach shots then a putter, now in Jawbreaker and one a old 2004 Hard D Magnet that is also stiff. The Reason to keep going back to the Magnets is the way the bottom wing feels with the way I putt using that groove in the wing with my index finger.
In 2006 Discraft as did Innova had their baseline plastic feel a bit softer at that point. Does Innova's DX still harden a tiny bit over time?, not sure how the numbered DX Innova discs feel over time.

Last edited:
Hey TripleB, if you want something thinner than an Aviar, which also happens to be the straightest disc known to man, try out a Pure. You can thank me later.

On another note, I just picked up a Sparta and maaaan is it sweet....

I putt with Pa4s in 350g plastic though. That's what works for me. Stick with your Aviar for a while until you are ready to branch out.

Last edited:
BrickRhino;3224031. I now bag a Colt for this specific reason said:
Nice!

If I were to try a different putter it would more than likely be the Colt, or maybe the Ringer.

Thanks for everyone's input!!!

TripleB

ugh...hate typing a reply on my phone

Last edited:
Hey TripleB, if you want something thinner than an Aviar, which also happens to be the straightest disc known to man, try out a Pure. You can thank me later.

On another note, I just picked up a Sparta and maaaan is it sweet....

I putt with Pa4s in 350g plastic though. That's what works for me. Stick with your Aviar for a while until you are ready to branch out.

The Sparta really IS sweet! I highly recommend it.

A few threads talking about shallow putters.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112692&page=3

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31640

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116542

Might be able to get some more info from them.

I wouldn't give up on the Aviar just yet. Give it time. You just started, nothing feels right! you haven't played enough yet to know what "feels right" even means yet in term of discs. Your style and grips will change, don't be so eagre to try every putter out there just yet.

Learning to throw a normal putter has a lot of advantages, especially on longer putts and short up shots.

Shallow may feel better now, but it might be wise to learn both.

I use to putt with a Shark and a Mako because I hated the depth of normal putters, but once I learned to throw real putters, my game really improved. And yes, I have shallow putters too. I bag Yeti Aiars and Rhynos.

Get a Polecat and learn to throw it, it might change your opinion of deep putters

Try some other players putters, maybe you will like a beaded putter better.

Last edited:
I fell in love with the Judge as an all around putter but never got fully comfortable with the depth. Picked up a warden which is (some people argue this though) a beadless judge and it is much more comfortable. Comfort usually means confidence.

Don't write off molds in the entirety though. Get your hands on them. I found a classic blend judge a few weeks back that is really flat and feels almost identical to my wardens in the hand.

Best way to do it is grab up any used putters you can and start practicing with them. Once you find one that doesn't feel right in your hand, go trade it for one of the ones that you like. Soon you will have a stack of putters that feel comfortable to you.

I fell in love with the Judge as an all around putter but never got fully comfortable with the depth. Picked up a warden which is (some people argue this though) a beadless judge and it is much more comfortable. Comfort usually means confidence.
Yeah, it's not really even close to a beadless judge. The only mold I know in that bullet nose with a bead family that is a beadless version is maybe the Voodoo, but that is only based on what I have read online. Warden is more of an Aviar clone. .

Yeah im sure its all been said but, GENERALLY speaking, thinner putters are faster and have less glide.

Advantage. They seem to slip over the basket easier because they are so thin, can get a quick putt in, feel in hand is usually nicer (but that's preference)
Disadvantage: If you miss it could be a little further past the basket than you'd want. Stability is more questionable the thinner the disc....typically, but for Putting only, its really preference and feel and the Glide vs Speed preferences.

Ive used BOTH and honestly I like both - I currently go with a Slower Glidier putter because I feel I can control it in a putt better and allows for controlled longer putts as well that wont go too far past the basket on a miss.

I did putt really well with a Atom and Pilot was decent too, same with the Reko (pretty thin)

but I like a blocky bulky putter mainly for ranging in those 40 and in putts

Yeah, it's not really even close to a beadless judge. The only mold I know in that bullet nose with a bead family that is a beadless version is maybe the Voodoo, but that is only based on what I have read online. Warden is more of an Aviar clone. .

Agree about the Warden. It's a great disc. Interestingly, I've tried all manners of Aviars (from the Classic to even the GStar P&A, which I actually like), and the disc that flies most like the Warden to me (not feel but flight) is the Whale.

Most of the shallow discs known to me have gotten proper mention.

Vibram Summit is another thin putter. The Vibram rubber mix is actually very nice for putting.

The Voodoo has a small bead but you don't feel it really. Since it shares the same bottom, the same goes for the Plutonium, which feels like a lower profile Voodoo with the RDG top.

Not quite pure bullet nose but really close would be the Anode, Macana, and Roach. There are probably others but I can't think of any others off the top my head.

What's the difference between the Ringer D-Line, Ringer Soft X-Line, Ringer GT Jawbreaker, Ringer GT Soft X-Line?

D line is stiffer plastic, dings up. What I tend to prefer. The stiff hot pink ones were my fav. SoftX I think is mj's putting putter, he uses the ringer for putting and banger gt for upshots and long putts outside the circle. But SoftX is a little bendier, grippier, I think float a little more. Also more understable.

Jawbreaker is a new plastic. Go to a store and see it for yourself because I don't know what I think about it. The GT ringers I have no idea on.

If you really want something special there are still some ledgestone Z ringers out there. Not sure how those went over, but I kinda liked throwing the D one I had for drive and approach. The smaller rim kinda felt more driver like for form. I guess I liked that.

The Ringer GT is basically a Discraft Rhyno. Where the GT in a mold name has meant groove top, the Ringer got a Thumbtrac.

D line is stiffer plastic, dings up. What I tend to prefer.
Jawbreaker is a new plastic. Go to a store and see it for yourself because I don't know what I think about it.

Jawbreaker is firmer than all the soft plastics, and has a bit of a "rubbery" feel and texture to it. It's about the same firmness as Classic Blend/Zero Medium/BT Medium, and firm enough for me to use in their putters (I prefer firm plastics; don't like softer plastics when putting). Definitely feel it and see if you like it when you find one in a store.

Agree about the Warden. It's a great disc. Interestingly, I've tried all manners of Aviars (from the Classic to even the GStar P&A, which I actually like), and the disc that flies most like the Warden to me (not feel but flight) is the Whale.

Not sure why I haven't looked at the Warden closer. I think because I used 1.9cm height as the max in my search and it's 2.0. Looks like it's loved by a lot of people...which is a shame because that just gives me another option to consider...picking two from: Warden, Colt, Pure, Ringer :doh:

Anyway, thanks for taking time to respond!

TripleB

Not sure why I haven't looked at the Warden closer. I think because I used 1.9cm height as the max in my search and it's 2.0. Looks like it's loved by a lot of people...which is a shame because that just gives me another option to consider...picking two from: Warden, Colt, Pure, Ringer :doh:

Anyway, thanks for taking time to respond!

TripleB

I don't know the Ringer, but I know the others. For me, the Colt would be more of an approach disc, but it certainly can be used as a putter (and some pros DO use it as a putter). The Pure is also a great throwing putter (very straight when properly thrown) and a good putting putter.

But after my own lengthy search, the Warden was simply the best putter for me. Not as deep as most putters, or doesn't feel as deep, at least. Very accurate once one gets used to it and practices with it (true of all putters, of course). Good throwing putter in premium (or baseline) plastic for me, as well.

Jawbreaker is firmer than all the soft plastics, and has a bit of a "rubbery" feel and texture to it. It's about the same firmness as Classic Blend/Zero Medium/BT Medium, and firm enough for me to use in their putters (I prefer firm plastics; don't like softer plastics when putting). Definitely feel it and see if you like it when you find one in a store.

Jawbreaker reminds me of the DuPont in some of the putters made by Lighting or the R-Pro by Innova. A Rubbery plastic that is not too soft to putt with as a putter, more firm but grippy with a bit of flex to it.