• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw Critique

noah1

Par Member
I have some updated video. I'm still not getting my weight forward enough as you can see from the image below:

GwkZi.png

Is it correct that my body should be on the angle that I drew in the picture? Also, is that step too far out front?

However, I can't see a difference in the video and the last one, but It feels smoother over all.

I'm throwing elements in the video below. Any advice would be appreciated. The last 2/3rds of the video is the same throws in high speed.

One thing I noticed is i'm gripping the disc with my ring finger as the primary pressure point, which is probably horrible for distance.

I don't think the step length is an issue when you push harder with the left leg to get the weight better forward. Ring finger rip ain't good. Loosening up a little with that finger should help. The right arm pit and the right knee should be equidistant from the basket at the rip.

JR,

It's weird, I'm not ripping from the ring finger. That's just the ring finger that is applying the most pressure. I'll pay more attention next time and see what's happening during the throw.

The right arm pit and the right knee should be equidistant from the basket at the rip

Are you saying that I should be able to draw a vertical line from the arm pit down to the knee at the rip?

I went out tonight and experimented with the grip via the right pec drill.

I think I figured out what happened in regards to my grip, I saw in one of Dan's videos that he suggested that you raise the disc on the base of the thumb up and that helps with nose down. I did that and it did help with nose down, but for some reason, I also started to use the base of the thumb as the point where I exerted maxim pressure via the ring finger. Over the last few days, I've re-read the "Grip it to Rip it article" a few times and I clearly need to get my grip figured out before I can move forward.

It looks like to me that the lower (closest to the hand) nuckle of the finger is where the rip point is in the images. Is that correct? If so, I've never had it rip out of there.

If I took a picture of my grip once I think I have it half way decent can you tell anything from it or is it more of a feel type of thing?

In the article index finger rip point ver. 1 is centered around the innermost section of the index finger and ver 2 between the finger print of the index finger and the base of the thumb. The last point where the disc touches the index finger and the thumb counts the most because that determines the lateness of the rip and the distance the arm has accelerated AKA slip vs half hit vs full hit. Version one seems to me to be the starting point of the rip not the end. The index finger will be pulled from curled to straight by the disc rim before the disc rips out if you have more than slip strength pinch in the index finger. A half hit still slips out before the disc has traveled as much as it could back to front and the rip point is more likely at 2-3 o'clock than 4-6 o'clock.

If you want to release a photo of your finger and palm prints in the public you can but if you pick one in the pictures in that article or look at Youtube to find how Feldberg explains the modified power grip you could copy that. Proper finger strength per disc shape and role is needed and that varies from disc to disc. For the longest time i tried to grip putters tightly pinching with the index finger late in the throw and having at least moderate pressure in the beginning of the throw with the index finger less with others. Fail. I've had much cleaner releases with most of the pressure in the hand and the pinky to middle finger with the index finger being very loose until a moderate pinch late in the throw. This way i've been able to throw tall putters with more consistency ans less sticking and scraping=less OAT.

Grip is not just a feeling based thing but rather cleanliness of flight=no wobble with putters even with tall profile and distance not being hampered due to slipping with drivers that need way more grip strength and pinch of the thumb and the index finger.

Latest posts