• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing a Partner's Disc During Doubles

ILUVSMGS18

Just Another Disc Hoarder
I'm playing a doubles tourney Sunday and want to know if it is legal to throw one of my partner's discs if I have his permission. I recently lost my perfectly beat R-Pro Rhyno and my partner has one that is almost the exact same. If I found myself in a case where I would use that disc (in tightly wooded jail just off the fairway) could I throw my partner's if he's not planning on throwing it? It is a best shot format but I would really like to do well so I was curious if this is legal. Also in normal play could you do the same thing? I dont see any PDGA rules against it but I'm not sure and would like to know for future reference.

No rules say you can't throw a cardmates disc. I'm assuming this applies to a doubles partner as well

Nothing against adding/removing discs from your bag during a round. This could be:
-Stopping at the vehicle to grab a spare.
-Using a found disc.
-Borrrowing a disc.
-Purchasing a disc.
-So on and so forth.

Gotta follow the rules which bar illegal discs (weight, modified, cracked, etc.). Probably doesn't hurt that any disc you're throwing has an unique and identifiable mark. Also, avoid tournaments where all discs are inventoried and weighted prior and following rounds.:)

Nothing against adding/removing discs from your bag during a round. This could be:
-Using a found disc.
-Borrrowing a disc.
-Purchasing a disc.
-So on and so forth.

Gotta follow the rules which bar illegal discs (weight, modified, cracked, etc.). Probably doesn't hurt that any disc you're throwing has an unique and identifiable mark. Also, avoid tournaments where all discs are inventoried and weighted prior and following rounds.:)

Is this sarcasm or have you actually seen this? Man that would take hours at some of the tourneys around here...

perfectly legal.
Personally I would find that kind of planning and scheming to be a mental distraction

[/B]

Is this sarcasm or have you actually seen this? Man that would take hours at some of the tourneys around here...

A good training meeting for staff, early pre-checks, multiple stations day of event, and a couple rovers. You got to step up and get your volunteers motivated.

[/B]

This has happened - but I'm only aware of it in Japan where they have a 150G limit on discs.

This has happened - but I'm only aware of it in Japan where they have a 150G limit on discs.
It was raised to 160g limit several years ago and the weight cap may have been eliminated or at least discussed recently.

-Using a found disc.
-Borrrowing a disc.
-Purchasing a disc.
-So on and so forth.

(emphasis added)

Sometimes, if I suspect that someone on my card has a shaky grasp of the rules and they have been annoying me, I'll walk up to the basket in the "cleaning up drop-ins" phase of a hole and ask to borrow the disc they just dropped into the basket, then nonchalantly stand behind my downed putter and plop their disc into the basket.

(emphasis added)

Sometimes, if I suspect that someone on my card has a shaky grasp of the rules and they have been annoying me, I'll walk up to the basket in the "cleaning up drop-ins" phase of a hole and ask to borrow the disc they just dropped into the basket, then nonchalantly stand behind my downed putter and plop their disc into the basket.

Even more fun...don't even ask. Pick their disc up out of the basket before they can, then step to your lie and drop in with it. I'll do it just for kicks no matter who I'm playing with.

The best is the one guy who hated when anyone but him threw his putters...you could borrow any other disc you wanted from his bag, but his putters were precious because he preferred them as new as he could get. Any extraneous throw of his putter, even a drop-in, was a sin to him (he didn't even warm up with his "good" putters).

My partner in this case is a lefty so chances are that we will have different ways out off jail and that is the only real reason that I would need that disc.

(emphasis added)

Even more fun...don't even ask. Pick their disc up out of the basket before they can, then step to your lie and drop in with it. I'll do it just for kicks no matter who I'm playing with.

The best is the one guy who hated when anyone but him threw his putters...you could borrow any other disc you wanted from his bag, but his putters were precious because he preferred them as new as he could get. Any extraneous throw of his putter, even a drop-in, was a sin to him (he didn't even warm up with his "good" putters).
The first time I did this it actually was an accident. The guy didn't clear his disc so I grabbed it as I walked by. When I got to my lie I had a putter in my hand so I putted. It seemed to weird everybody on the card out as there was a long discussion as to the legality of that. Since it worked so well at getting into people's heads I do it all the time now just for kicks.

The first time I did this it actually was an accident. The guy didn't clear his disc so I grabbed it as I walked by. When I got to my lie I had a putter in my hand so I putted. It seemed to weird everybody on the card out as there was a long discussion as to the legality of that. Since it worked so well at getting into people's heads I do it all the time now just for kicks.

It would be a stretch but I would argue to give you a 2 stroke penalty using 804.03.D.2:

D. A player who intentionally interferes with another player's disc in any of the following ways shall receive two penalty throws.

2.Moving a thrown disc or mini marker disc(other than in the process of identification, retrieval, or marking);

As you would be intentionally interfering with my disc for reasons other than identification, retrieval, or marking. Then if you putt was more then two-meters I would call a practice throw.

It would be a stretch but I would argue to give you a 2 stroke penalty using 804.03.D.2:

D. A player who intentionally interferes with another player's disc in any of the following ways shall receive two penalty throws.

2.Moving a thrown disc or mini marker disc(other than in the process of identification, retrieval, or marking);

As you would be intentionally interfering with my disc for reasons other than identification, retrieval, or marking. Then if you putt was more then two-meters I would call a practice throw.
It doesn't hold up since the player had holed out. You can't interfere with a disc that is not in play. I simply retrieve a disc that somebody didn't clear. If you actually do what you are supposed to and clear the basket, I don't end up with your disc.

So far as me using it, nowhere does it say you have to use the discs in your bag at the start of the round. I've actually lost a Banshee on the back during a tournament, bought a new one in the parking lot on my way to the front during the round and thrown the disc I bought in the middle of the round later in that round. No rule against it at all.

It doesn't hold up since the player had holed out. You can't interfere with a disc that is not in play. I simply retrieve a disc that somebody didn't clear. If you actually do what you are supposed to and clear the basket, I don't end up with your disc.

So far as me using it, nowhere does it say you have to use the discs in your bag at the start of the round. I've actually lost a Banshee on the back during a tournament, bought a new one in the parking lot on my way to the front during the round and thrown the disc I bought in the middle of the round later in that round. No rule against it at all.

I'll address the second paragraph first. I agree, I know that, that is not what I'm "arguing." Also I'm doing this in good fun, devils advocate, as to create conversation and dialog. It's going to be a long slow day at work :).

Since the player holed out and did not retrieve his disc you could call 804.03.F:

Players shall not stand or leave their equipment where interference with a disc in play may occur. A player may require other players to move themselves or their equipment if either could interfere with the throw. Refusal to do so is a courtesy violation.

So no one asked him to remove his disc, "equipment", from the basket he can leave it there.

Also there is the argument of 803.01.A:

Obstacles to a Stance or Throwing Motion: With the exception of
casual obstacles to a stance as described below, a player is not
allowed to move any obstacle on the course. No relief is granted
from park equipment (such as signs, trash cans, or picnic tables),
which is considered to be part of the course. A player is allowed
to request that other people remove themselves and/or their
belongings from the player's stance or line of play.

Which the 803.01.D:

A player shall receive one penalty throw, without a warning, for
violation of an obstacle or relief rule.

Because 803.01.A says you can not move any obstacle on the course and 803.01.D describes the penalty.

Also there is the argument of 803.01.A:

Obstacles to a Stance or Throwing Motion: With the exception of
casual obstacles to a stance as described below, a player is not
allowed to move any obstacle on the course. No relief is granted
from park equipment (such as signs, trash cans, or picnic tables),
which is considered to be part of the course. A player is allowed
to request that other people remove themselves and/or their
belongings from the player's stance or line of play.

Which the 803.01.D:

A player shall receive one penalty throw, without a warning, for
violation of an obstacle or relief rule.

Because 803.01.A says you can not move any obstacle on the course and 803.01.D describes the penalty.

You're overlooking 803.01C with this one. That rule states: "Course equipment may always be restored to its proper working order, including the clearing of obstacles." I'd say that if you want to call a disc in the target an "obstacle", then it can be removed by anyone at any time as it is done in the act of restoring course equipment to proper working order.

You're overlooking 803.01C with this one. That rule states: "Course equipment may always be restored to its proper working order, including the clearing of obstacles." I'd say that if you want to call a disc in the target an "obstacle", then it can be removed by anyone at any time as it is done in the act of restoring course equipment to proper working order.

But then I still say your interfering with another players disc, which was my original argument. A basket is still going to be in proper working order, even with a disk in it.

But then I still say your interfering with another players disc, which was my original argument. A basket is still going to be in proper working order, even with a disk in it.

Disagree with the bolded. The rule specifically states that clearing of obstacles from the target falls under the category of restoring it to proper working order. Doesn't matter whether you think the obstacle affects the target's "proper working order" or not, it's an obstacle in the target therefore it can be removed by any player at any time.

Either the disc is an obstacle or it is not. I'm arguing as if it is since you asserted as much by saying a player could be penalized for violation of 803.01A if they removed the disc from the target.

Last edited:
It's a lol argument.

When it comes down to it, you have to complain to a TD. A busy TD. A busy TD that is going to look at you dumbfounded, shake his head and at worst tell you not to do it again.

I guess the issue is "interfering" with a players disc. If a player marks his lie and sets the disc he threw down with you standing right nearby and you pick it up and place it on top of the players bag, did you "interfere" with that disc? That disc is not in play, nothing about the round changes by moving it. Same way with a holed out putter, nothing happens to the players round by moving it. The putt still counts.

There is the weird thing you see at World's where somebody will win and start celebrating when they make the last putt, and then some official yells at them to clear the disc. So there might actually be a rule that you have to clear the disc before your putt counts that nobody actually follows. If there is, I'm sprinting to the basket to grab somebody's putter and yell "Doesn't count! Doesn't count!" just to be a jerk the next time I play a casual round.