• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing a Partner's Disc During Doubles

I think removing the disc from the basket before you ask the other player to remove it would be a violation of the rule as it says that you may ask for the person to remove themselves or belongs from your stance or line of play. While I think this is far fetched I still believe that there is something in the rules that prevent this.

Here is another question. If someone did this and I caught my disc out of the air before entering the basket, would there be a penalty? Since 804.3.D:

A player who intentionally interferes with another player's disc
in any of the following ways shall receive two penalty throws:
1. Altering the course of a thrown disc (other than to prevent
injury); or,
2. Moving a thrown disc or mini marker disc (other than in the
process of identification, retrieval, or marking); or,
3. Obscuring a thrown disc or mini marker disc.

I wouldn't be interfering with another players disc but my own. If you are going to consider the disc to belonging to the thrower would he have then stole the disc from me since I didn't give him permission to take possession of my disc?

Again I know it is far fetched but pulling a stunt like that would be un-sportsman/un-professional at the very least.

There is the weird thing you see at World's where somebody will win and start celebrating when they make the last putt, and then some official yells at them to clear the disc. So there might actually be a rule that you have to clear the disc before your putt counts that nobody actually follows. If there is, I'm sprinting to the basket to grab somebody's putter and yell "Doesn't count! Doesn't count!" just to be a jerk the next time I play a casual round.

For a long time (until the 2011 rules update), the rule for holing out on a disc entrapment device required that the disc had to come to rest and remain within the target until it was removed. If the disc wasn't removed promptly and subsequently fell out or was knocked out somehow (say by another disc), it wasn't considered holed out, could not be replaced to its original position and the player would have to putt again from where ever the disc ended up. It was for this reason that players were always prompted to remove their discs before they were considered officially holed out.

That rule, and the requirement to remove the disc, no longer exists but it is still considered proper etiquette to do so before the next player throws. However there is no penalty for not removing it promptly, nor does it "not count" if it falls out or is knocked out or is removed by someone other than the thrower (in fact, the rules never required that it be removed by the thrower, only that it be removed).

Cool.

I'm pretty sure all anybody could do is a 801.04 Courtesy violation, although the situation isn't really addressed.

PDGA Rules said:
Players should not throw until they are certain that the thrown disc will not distract another player or potentially injure anyone present. The person who it might "distract" is the person who has already holed out i.e. not throwing. It's a stretch, but you could argue that somebody putting with your disc to get in your head is "distracting."

Players should watch the other members of their group throw in order to aid in locating errant throws and to ensure compliance with the rules. N/A

Players should take care not to produce any auditory or visual distractions while other players are throwing. Distracting actions include: shouting, cursing, freestyling, striking course equipment, throwing out of turn, throwing or kicking golf bags, throwing minis, and advancing on the fairway beyond the away player. Shouting at an appropriate time to warn someone in danger of being struck by a disc is not a courtesy violation. Again, you can argue that this is a "distracting" action.

Refusal to perform an action expected by the rules, such as assisting in the search for a lost disc, moving discs or equipment, or keeping score properly, is a courtesy violation. You can argue you are moving a disc, but I think it takes this out of context.

Littering is a courtesy violation.N/A

Courtesy dictates that players who smoke should not allow their smoke to disturb other players. Disposing of a cigarette butt by dropping it on the ground is littering. N/A

Basically it's a **** move and if somebody called a courtesy violation on me for it, I'd smile and go "OK." Then I wouldn't do it again that round so I didn't get stroked. If I was a better player and saw disc golf as a competition, I wouldn't do this at all. I do it because I'm not competitive and I'm just goofing off. The people that it bothers usually are not on the bottom adv grandmaster card with me, so nobody really cares. If I was good enough to play Open, it would never cross my mind to putt with another players putter. Because of that it never actually happens in PDGA events other than little C tiers (maybe) and isn't a problem worthy of a rule specifically addressing it.

I'd assume this would only be legal with a players consent right? In a tournament, I wouldn't be thrilled if someone used one of my discs without asking. If that's case, after that person teed off on the next hole, in theory, I could just walk up, take a disc out of their bag and use it for my tee shot without asking them and without penalty.

Didn't Paul hand Big Jerm his disc to hole out with at the Masters during the last round? I thought I remembered seeing him hand Jerm a disc as Jerm went up for his drop in, and instead of dropping his mini and picking up his putter to hole out with, Paul just handed him what looked like a Roc to drop in.

I'd assume this would only be legal with a players consent right? In a tournament, I wouldn't be thrilled if someone used one of my discs without asking. If that's case, after that person teed off on the next hole, in theory, I could just walk up, take a disc out of their bag and use it for my tee shot without asking them and without penalty.

It is legal with or without the player's consent. It certainly isn't advisable to throw someone else's disc without permission (especially if it is for anything other than dropping in a putt from less than 2-3 feet) but there's nothing that prohibits it by rule. I suppose the disc owner could call a courtesy violation or report the player for unsportsmanlike behavior. Seems excessive unless the thrower did damage to the disc or lost it or something.

The only criteria a disc must meet for it to be legally used by any player is that it is unbroken/unmodified, PDGA approved, and uniquely marked. That's it. If the disc meets those criteria, doesn't matter who it belongs to, you can't be penalized for throwing it in competition.

It is legal with or without the player's consent. It certainly isn't advisable to throw someone else's disc without permission (especially if it is for anything other than dropping in a putt from less than 2-3 feet) but there's nothing that prohibits it by rule. I suppose the disc owner could call a courtesy violation or report the player for unsportsmanlike behavior. Seems excessive unless the thrower did damage to the disc or lost it or something.

The only criteria a disc must meet for it to be legally used by any player is that it is unbroken/unmodified, PDGA approved, and uniquely marked. That's it. If the disc meets those criteria, doesn't matter who it belongs to, you can't be penalized for throwing it in competition.

lol imagine if someone was putting with pretty old putters, like some 10x aviar or something and you picked it up and holed out your 5 foot putt with it, and cracked it... :(