• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Thumbers/Tomahawks; what are goods discs?

Whippet X. Small rim makes it easier to grip in my experience. Long slow turn gets good distance.

Tighter lines that I want to go pretty much dead straight (great for wooded courses) - beat 175 star monster

Distance - FAF 160 Firebird

My monster is typically the disc that people ask "what was that" because it is so damn loud when it rips out of my hand and is deadly accurate. Firebird will go a bit longer, but needs more room to work and is not as reliable.

Also have a 168 monster and a 175 FAF champ firebird, both are decent to practice with but don't really have a spot in my bag. Two overhand discs is enough~

There was a pretty decent poll on this a month or so ago.

OP should at least take the time to make a preliminary search before creating a new thread, as this particular discussion has been thoroughly discussed.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice on my question. I do appreciate it.Going to go experiment in the field this week!

To those of you who are saying I should have done my research before posting; I did do some digging, but could only find some older posts. I know that opinions on discs change rapidly so I figured a new post wouldn't be out of the question.

With the onslaught of new discs hitting the market, maybe someone found a new disc that was 'perfect for OH shots.' Also, I'd rather not spend an unorthodox amount of time digging through old posts looking for an answer, when the topic could easily spur new conversation and input (which, with 3 pages of replies it did spur quite the response.)

If this topic is so beat into the ground, why not make it a sticky? Maybe in the technique form, perhaps?

Thanks again for all responses!

Back on topic, I get the most accurate thumbers with my champ eagle.
I too started throwing thumbers with an Eagle. I now use Teebirds, Mantis's Firebirds and Resistors depending on the situation. Of the discs you (OP) listed the Avenger is the only one I'd try to hit a thumber with. The others all have massive rims that don't fit well with my grip.

A couple of technique pointers:

First, the grip is paramount. A properly thrown thumber has a huge amount of snap and torque, and if you can't hold the disc firmly you will not transfer all the energy your body generates to the disc.

Second, you need to snap your wrist HARD and follow through. The more wrist snap you get the more rotation you can impart on the disc. The more the disc spins the tighter the line it will follow.

Third, build from the ground up. This cannot be a throw from your arm alone, you have to generate force in your legs, hips and shoulders before your arm ever comes into play. What I do is once I've chosen the appropriate disc for the line I want, I stand at the back of the pad facing the target. My first step (RH throw) is with my left foot and it lands at a diagonal angle like "/" (actually a little more slanted downwards, but whatever). My second step is a crossover step with my right foot pointed at the side of the pad "--". These steps build the coil that I was referring to and help get my body in position to unwind and throw. My final step has my left foot landing with my toe facing the target as my hips start to unwind. If I've done everything right my hips will be pulling my shoulder around so hard that I feel a pull in my shoulder. My wrist will be lagging behind my shoulder as much as my shoulder is lagging behind my hips, and as I pull through to my release point I finish with a hard downward snapping motion of my wrist to complete the throw.

Fourth, pick the right disc. I listed several very similar discs above that I use (Teebird, Mantis, Resistor) but each flies slightly differently. The Resistor flies a tighter spiral that the Teebird, and finishes straighter. The Firebird loops way off to the left and finishes farther right than most of the discs I throw. By knowing how my discs fly overhand and picking the right one I can throw through narrow windows and around obstacles with confidence. Additionally, but using many similar but slightly different discs I can keep the same technique and just vary the disc. As an example, on one hole I play frequently I ususally throw my Firebird right at a tree in the middle of the fairway and count on it's movement to get it around the tree and back to the pin.

Finally, realize that no one can give you the perfect thumber disc. You undoubtedly have different arm strength and technique than I do. You will have to work on your technique and then experiment with discs.

The technique I described is for what I would call a controlled thumber (200'-250'). I used to run way up the teepad trying for max distance, but have realized that I can get out over 300' easier on a backhand than a thumber.

Last edited:

I found this great list within your list of threads also:

Why overstable for OH?
Thumber disc poll
OH distance
overhand plastic
Thumber Tips
Whats your favorite overhand disc?
Tomahawk vs. Thumber
Overhand Throws: Does discing down still apply?
What was your overhand disc of 2010?
Thumber disc?
Thumber/tohahawk thing...
Disc Selection for Overhand Shots
best tomahawk/ overhand driver?
thumbers - good discs to buy
Overhand disc
What is the best overhand disc?
Favorite Tomahawk Disc?
Trying to incorporate the Tomahawk into my game.
Help: Overhand throws.
Thomahawk and Thumber
Overhead Discs
mid or putter thumbers?

Try a Champ Ape/groove/Firebird/Stiletto I love them all equally and for different reasons. Silliness aside the Epic isn't too bad either.

Its simple, the more distance you want the more overstable the disc has to be becaise it slows tye corkscrew down. Sont use the z nuke or a destroyer for distance, that's just stupid. You want the z flick or a goldline XXX, with a super slow turnand a good roller at the end i can thumb both around 400ft with a favorable roll, but i also have a strong baseball background.
Z Flick- long distance with a slow, tight corkscrew with a roller finish
XXX- long distance with a very long and wide corkscrew with a bounce finish
Champ Orc- medium to long range (accuracy thumber) with a med corkscrew but has a strong right slice at the end. If you get a good feel for it then every shot with it is a placement shot you park by the basket.

Just because a thread is old doesn't mean it isn't worth reading. Im willing to bet 90% of people answer Firebird, XXX, Flick, Whippet, Banshee or Nuke OS. Most people like over stable discs for max distance because they pan slower. Most people also like stable or under stable discs for shorter quick flipping shots & accuracy. Any disc can be thrown overhand & depending on its level of stability it will fall into one of those two categories. If you would of read almost any of those threads you would of figured that out for yourself.

That is the kind of break down I've been looking for!!! THANKS!!!

Bagged the F1 with some thumber holes in mind. It didn't disappoint. My putting from within the circle on the other hand…. I learned thumbers with a Champ Firebird. More than any other disc, by any manufacturer, it owns that shot. Ask Scwebby.