• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird flight

Buzzzz

I threw my friends max weight GStar Thunderbird today and it was love at the first sight. Gstar had little turn and it was very straight. I threw it about 325ft. Now I'm interested to buy one but can't decide between champion and gstar. How does champion fly compared to Gstar and what weight should I get so it flies with little turn? Is 175g too heavy for champion?

I have a 175 G* and it flies with a touch of turn. I have not thrown a champion Thunderbird but champion plastic tends to be more stable. If you threw you friends G* and loved it then stick with that.

I haven't thrown the production run Champs but my proto had no turn at all for max weight on 350' of power. From what I understand the gstar is the way to go if you want a little walk in the flight path.

I have a 175 G* and it flies with a touch of turn. I have not thrown a champion Thunderbird but champion plastic tends to be more stable. If you threw you friends G* and loved it then stick with that.
Otherwise I would stick with Gstar but I have weird obesession/devotion on champion plastic. Maybe I should throw it couple more times and decide then.

The champion is more stable than G* but not by much. I get my Thunderbirds to right at 275-300ft on a good pull and they are dead straight for most of the flight and then fade hard into the ground.

The most OS runs of Champion have been the Air Force stamped ones. They are pretty beefy.

My Champ will fly flat with maybe a slight bit of turn and decent fade but it has been slightly beat in. It will still hold a hyzer line really well. I don't have stupid power though and when i started throwing was really overstable for me but I have since added a bit of power. Also, you can order Star Thunderbirds on the innova factory store.

I've thrown 2 champs. 1 flew like the G* you describe. It was so good, so naturally I lost it within a week. The other is a dead 0 turn. I have acquired a few more since, but have not thrown them. Looking at the PLH compared to the one in my bag, the others I got are a tiny bit higher if anything. I expect they will all be no-turn with aggressive fade.

If you like the G* blend, that that would be the better bet for the flight you want. If you want that flight into a headwind, get a Champ as well!

I'm still holding out for that stock Star run.

I threw my friends max weight GStar Thunderbird today and it was love at the first sight. Gstar had little turn and it was very straight. I threw it about 325ft. Now I'm interested to buy one but can't decide between champion and gstar. How does champion fly compared to Gstar and what weight should I get so it flies with little turn? Is 175g too heavy for champion?

I have two 167g Champion Thunderbirds. Not much turn, just super straight. I can get them out close to 400 so with you throwing them 325 I'd definitely go 167 or lighter on the Champion. If you get Gstar, go max.

Last edited:
Thunderbird might be useless if you already carry a PD. Throw TeeBirds until they go 350.

I carry both Champion and G* Thunderbirds. I use the Champ for straight shots with reliable fade, very little mid flight turn. I use the G* for shot shaping. I would say go for a Champ. Both are 167g in weight.

The Champs I have thrown were pretty much dead straight with a sweeping fade, and I throw these types of discs ~350'. Compared to a PD, the PD is straight but feels like it has more HSS in reserve, and the PD fade is more at the end and stronger...where the Thunderbird sweeps a bit more. The champ Thunderbird just feels mellower a bit.

I've thrown a beat up G star and it had tons of turn...I threw it flat and it ended up 20' right of my aim. Not sure how long/abused that one was, but if you want to keep the disc in your bag a long time for the straight type shots, the G star may get pretty mellow. I bet the G star start off closer to what you want though.

I agree though with what was mentioned above...if you already have a Teebird and PD and are throwing these ~325', there would be significant overlap with the Thunderbird I think. I imagine people who can throw fairways 400' could see some very real differences between those discs though. But seeing as you have those other two, the more mellow G star Thunderbird would likely overlap less with your PD (unless your PD is beat and has some turn, or you plan on replacing with the Thunderbird....or you don't care and just want to throw some discs which is fine too).