• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

I threw my GStar as my primary driver this weekend and it did great. My 3x came in today and I can't wait to go rip it.

Sweet - a bunch of new champs up at discgolfcenter. Even managed to snag a light pink one.

I got a 167 pink champ. It is not as HSS as my G* (172) but otherwise it is the same. Flat as a board and super grippy feel. I have pulled my star firebirds for these and not looked back. The champ has become my main flick disc for almost any forehand shot besides a short approach or putt, it just goes where I want. I used to flick eagle x's and I could get great shaped lines, but often I would overthrow and flip the disc. The thunderbird is soaking up that power and going where I want, and with lower height.

Just got 2 blue Champion Thunderbirds (171g) in a couple days ago. Unfortunately have not had a chance to throw them yet. Love the feel. They are pretty flat and fit well in my forehand grip. I think these two along with my newly acquired Champion Firedbirds, they will fit a perfect slot between my fairway drivers and my longer distance drivers.

Has anyone replaced their firebirds with these? I see zmanns did. I was thinking of doing the same thing.
I don't really throw my firebird much (champ) and its a little beat anyway so a fresh champ thunderbird flies about the same.

Has anyone replaced their firebirds with these? I see zmanns did. I was thinking of doing the same thing.
I don't really throw my firebird much (champ) and its a little beat anyway so a fresh champ thunderbird flies about the same.

I have an S/FB that is absolutely magical and will never leave my bag.

That said, I have started FH'ing my G* Thunderbird with good distance and accuracy. I just picked up a Champ Thunderbird and am excited to throw it this weekend. Both iterations are in my bag.

I have only replaced my least stable FB, the stars were always that for me. I have not yet encountered a thunderbird that will do what my FAF's will. I rarely have a need for those on a course though. I am not a noodle arm by any means but I sure can't forehand very far, and the FAF is overkill for backhand in all but gale force wind for me. The JL is just flying in a very familiar way for me.

Nope, but it may replace the teebirds.

I can't live without the teebird in my bag. I tend to overthrow the thunderbird or it skips too far on my normally teebird shots.

I'm hooked on the thunderbird! Fits ever so nicely between my t3 and destroyer. Bagging a g*, star and just picked up 2 champs.

My Thunderbird found a slot between my Firebird and Tbird.

It's between the Viking and Firebird for me, but yeah. :hfive:

I LOVE the 3X for long forehand shots. I was getting it out accurately to roughly 225' RHFH, which (for my noodle arm) is pretty damn good.

I've heard these are like a longer Teebird. File that under the most useless comment ever.

Last edited:
Wow - my GStar finally came in and I got to sneak in a few tosses in the yard. Exactly what I was hoping for.

Now my only dilemma is that I want to bag it now - but its supposed to be from Santa. T-18 days and counting. Never should've tossed it - now it'll drive me nuts.

Yeah I can't see these replacing either the firebird or the teebird for me. The firebird has always been more of a utility disc for me then anything, and these are a lot longer then my teebirds. I tried throwing them on one of my local courses on all my teebird shots and I was consistently 30-60 feet behind the basket. For me they are a true tweener. Ideally I'd rather throw a teebird or a destroyer, but from time to time you need something in the middle and the thunderbirds fit there perfectly. Also I think it would make an excellent roller disc if I could ever beat it up far enough.

Finally had a chance to get out and throw these today. Great distance driver when you don't have the room needed to work a destroyer type distance driver. Throwing rhfh, it will anny (but not too hard) most of the way and the fade out for an overall straight shot. It can turn over but even my strongest rips refused to flip all the way and roll, but rather ride a gentle turn all the way to the ground. Is a true tweener disc. But on those occasions where I have wanted to have teebird control with more d, this disc does not disappoint. Actually get more distance than I expected with a new disc. Consistently about 350-360. I throw two 171 blue champions, and both fly identically. Best disc purchase in a while.

I came to ask the folks throwing the Thunderbirds how they'd fit in between my Teebirds and Destroyers as a tweener. Looks like I've gotten my answer! W/in this page and the one before it there are 2 posts describing exactly what I'm trying to do. Hopefully it'll work out! Right now I've got an Orc in that slot, but it's a little flippy at times, specifically fighting a headwind. I think the Thunderbird will be exactly what I'm looking for. Thoughts?

Latest posts