• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

Sell me them Orcs! LOL somewhat kidding. I have found myself going to a jl thunderbird more than the orc too. I still carry both though, my orcs will actually hold a hyzer better than a JL champ thunderbird. For straight distance when a destroyer or tern is too much, give me that JL thunderbird as long as I have some room to the right to flex. I have tried a star too. Mine scales at 173 and is much more high speed overstable than G* or JL, but still seems capable of getting some distance. Not a replacement for a beat up firebird like I wanted :( still too understable.

Hm I might have to get my hands on a star. I really wish my JL's were just a tick more stable

I am quickly losing interest in the Thunderbird. It is not accomplishing anything that my Sword is not capable of doing. It was supposed to be a stretched out TeeBird, but with the TeeBird with a thinner rim and a slightly straighter flight, the TeeBird keeps up with in distance but outshines it in straight ahead accuracy. Plus the TeeBird powers-down better.

The idea is that I invested in four Star Thunderbirds, beat them up during the winter and season them in, and when the weather turns warmer and my shots can be stretched out, the Thunderbird will start to shine. I hate long winters because I am short-sighted and need instant gratification when I throw. Of my four Stars, one Proto, one Metal Flake, and three GStars, I have a feeling I invested too heavily and may soon be putting them in my sale threads.

I mean really its the disc which cost McBeast a few strokes when it flipped over and went OB. the PD or FB is much more reliable the the teebird/t3/tl whatever else you want to include, do work already. I have a feeling many others will share your sentiment regarding this disc and cant believe its the 2014 disc of the year personally.

I am quickly losing interest in the Thunderbird. It is not accomplishing anything that my Sword is not capable of doing. It was supposed to be a stretched out TeeBird, but with the TeeBird with a thinner rim and a slightly straighter flight, the TeeBird keeps up with in distance but outshines it in straight ahead accuracy. Plus the TeeBird powers-down better.

The idea is that I invested in four Star Thunderbirds, beat them up during the winter and season them in, and when the weather turns warmer and my shots can be stretched out, the Thunderbird will start to shine. I hate long winters because I am short-sighted and need instant gratification when I throw. Of my four Stars, one Proto, one Metal Flake, and three GStars, I have a feeling I invested too heavily and may soon be putting them in my sale threads.

I bought mine to use when I have a headwind that's a little too strong for a teebird. It compliments a teebird perfectly. If I need a little more beef or a little more distance than a teebird its exactly what I've been wanting for that slot. I throw a destroyer for max distance so I wanted something a little closer in speed to a teebird than something like a PD.

Of my four Stars, one Proto, one Metal Flake, and three GStars, I have a feeling I invested too heavily and may soon be putting them in my sale threads.

Dibs on at least one star and probably the metal flake! Seriously, hit me up

Hole 6 at USDGC this year was one occasion, but people that watched most of the videos seemed to think there were several occasions where the PD would have served him better being more OS than the ThunB.

Can you clarify when/where this was? I'm curious

QnTbho0.gif

#DiscOfTheYear

^^^

That's not one of his thunderbirds. You can clearly see the airforce stamp on it, all his thunderbirds at USDGC were protostar stamped. He DID use the thunderbird on that hole earlier in the tournament, but it was on a weird outside spike hyzer route that didn't work out for him, so he switched to the straighter shot for Saturday. I don't know what disc that was.

^^^

That's not one of his thunderbirds. You can clearly see the airforce stamp on it, all his thunderbirds at USDGC were protostar stamped. He DID use the thunderbird on that hole earlier in the tournament, but it was on a weird outside spike hyzer route that didn't work out for him, so he switched to the straighter shot for Saturday. I don't know what disc that was.

It doesn't look like a star stamp but according to his USDGC in the bag that clip has to be his most overstable double star stamped maroon thunderbird. It's a very appropriate disc for that hole, too. I watched it all and numerous times he misjudged the overstability of his thunderbirds and they turned on him and glided too far and too straight. It might have been a slight slip of bad form, but eh that's unlikely. But really is this a bad thing for us lol? No way. It clearly has a straight, reliable, controllable flight. It's designed and marketed as a speed 9 teebird not as the Innova PD which is obviously rated as more overstable.

It doesn't look like a star stamp but according to his USDGC in the bag that clip has to be his most overstable double star stamped maroon thunderbird. It's a very appropriate disc for that hole, too. I watched it all and numerous times he misjudged the overstability of his thunderbirds and they turned on him and glided too far and too straight

If you watch McFly's round two video you can clearly see the maroon proto star Paul used for the outside spike hyzer route. Its obviously not the same disc, you can see the air force stamp in the above GIF.

I was at the tournement, and that wind was straightup CRAZY. everyone was turning crap over. Well except JohnE, an all gateway bag did have its advantages.

I mean really its the disc which cost McBeast a few strokes when it flipped over and went OB. the PD or FB is much more reliable the the teebird/t3/tl whatever else you want to include, do work already. I have a feeling many others will share your sentiment regarding this disc and cant believe its the 2014 disc of the year personally.

No one was immune from OB at that tourney. Everyone had problems with it no matter the disc. His confidence in the disc must not of shattered too badly because he has been throwing it a ton since that tourney. I'm not sure why the Thunderbird get compared to the PD or Firebird. It's not being advertised as such. It's supposed to be a longer Teebird and that's close to what it is. The Teebird is fairly straight with a soft fade that gets beat in to work basically anyway you need it. A worn Teebird will hold a beautiful anny. Different stability altogether.

he was the last person to throw... no excuse for that BS shot' Watch wills shot and see a FB or OS PD was much better choice' other guys threw even faster discs it appears.

Last edited:
People still posting in the thunderbird thread about a throw that wasnt a thunderbird :wall::wall::wall::wall:

I'm not sure why the Thunderbird get compared to the PD or Firebird.

Well the PD comparison got put out their by people speculating before the disc was even released yet. Once Paul replaced his PDs with them it was wheels off. Its never been a good comparison. The FB comparison is really just an offshoot of the PD comparison. I'm inclined to agree with you, in that people seem disappointed because the disc doesn't do something it was never advertised for.

There is a real solid chance that is a thunderbird. Jonathan Poole was handing out the maroon team stamp thunderbirds to team members at worlds. They were pre Proto and indentical in appearance to the disc paul uses in that video.

Huh. Never heard of those. Fair enough. If that's the case I'm surprised it wasn't in Pauls USDGC in the bag vid. Oh well, I stand corrected.

Latest posts