• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Thunderbirds

Gmtata01

Eagle Member
I currently bag in the fairway slot:
Leo3-Annys
MF TB3s-Low Ceiling, dead straight with little fade
Firebirds- FH/BH Very OS, Skips, Utility

I am looking for a disc to bridge the gap between my fairways and Destroyers. I have heard great things about the Thunderbird being a hybrid/distance driver. I currently throw my other fairways around 340 and destroyers 400 on good days to give some idea of distances.

Looking to Compare:

1. Champ 3x
2. Champ 4x
3. Star
4. Koling Star
5. Gstar

I was throwing a very similar bag as you before I started having back issues, but the Thunderbird is a great gap filler in between a Teebird and Destroyer. When I was able to throw full power I could get the Thunderbird out to 390-415' on good golf lines.

From my experience from most stable to least stable:

regular production star - champ 3x - champ 4x - gstar (I have not thrown a Koling Thunderbird)

You can find anomalies, as always, within each plastic being that they may be less or more stable, but for the most part that is what I have experienced.

Last edited:
I cannot speak for gstar, but thunderbirds are incredible in both champion and star. It will handle pretty much any headwind and fly dead straight with solid fade at the end. It is also my favorite spike hyzer disc. They truly bridge the gap between teebirds and destroyers. I would say he star thundy is probably the most stable, but that does not mean that champion is flippy at all. Both are money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

Great discs you have in that set up. 3x are my favorite of the Thunderbirds, they're a little softer and have a little bit of turn to them in flight. 4x appear to be a stiffer lot and more stable, honestly, I don't have as much experience with the 4x. My next favorite would the GStar. They start out a touch stable and take more abuse than you'd think. I cycle three right now and only one of them shows a hint of turn, but less than a 3x does. We're talking -.5 at the most for either. -1 if there is a good headwind or I'm cranking it out to ~400'.

Star, the ones I have bridge the gap between Thunderbirds and Firebirds. Definitely a little less glide and a lot more fade. I've had mine for about a year and they're still holding really well. I admit I don't toss them as often due to having a Firebird that got run over by a riding mower which is the straightest, glidiest, stable disc I've ever owned. Then, if I need something to have a Firebird fade I reach for a regular 12x.

I have no experience with a Koling Thunderbird

I use two champs, a 167 3x for straight shots with soft fade and a max weight 4x for overstable lines. Given the difference in weight I can't really compare the stability between them but from the additional ones I have held in my hands it seems the 3x is a slightly softer/grippier plastic. Only other plastic I've tried was a DX that was probably the most overstable one.
I have read at multiple places online that the Kolings are more overstable than regular stars, bur never tried one.

You didn't mention it, but you may want to consider the pro plastic. Innova has come a long way with the pro plastic imo, and I bag 2 pro and 1 star thunderbirds. The star is meaty and I rarely use it for backhands. The pros are much more controllable for my arm speed. I get the pro thunderbird consistently out to about 325 feet for reference.

I use two champs, a 167 3x for straight shots with soft fade and a max weight 4x for overstable lines. Given the difference in weight I can't really compare the stability between them but from the additional ones I have held in my hands it seems the 3x is a slightly softer/grippier plastic. Only other plastic I've tried was a DX that was probably the most overstable one.
I have read at multiple places online that the Kolings are more overstable than regular stars, bur never tried one.

Are Kolings more OS? I've got one and it is definitely more OS than my Luster, but I've never thrown a regular Star and haven't thrown a regular champ in a while.

Latest posts