• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tiles gps locater chips

rshrevo

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
does anyone out there have the Tiles gps locater chips attached to their phones, keys or anything else. I was considering getting a few and inserting them inside the poles of disc golf baskets. This way if they ever get stolen we might have a better way to track the pole. If it disappears you can try and supposedly track its location. the outdoor one is double in distance and sound. if we could track the basket you could make it ring within 200 feet. Hard to explain to police if the basket they were trying to say was theirs all of a sudden began beeping. What does everyone think of this idea?

If it rings while the thief is using it, wouldn't they just disassemble it to remove the tile?

Tiles are not gps, they are bluetooth -- and they only last a year before needing replacement. Probably not the best application for Tiles.

Tiles are not gps, they are bluetooth -- and they only last a year before needing replacement. Probably not the best application for Tiles.

agreed. A min gps tracker would work but I have no clue what something like this costs and how well they work. A bit creepy to think about mini gps trackers affordable for the common man.

They work but you'd need to be close with a gps tracking app and have it "ping" long enough for it to be traced. Had one hidden on a backpack leaf blower I bought from a flea market. Didn't know that it was a stolen unit months ago. It didn't give off a signal until a buddy came over with a gps tracker for his laptop. Cops were able to track it right to my house. They confiscated the blower.

Placing a tracker INSIDE the pole might be counter productive. If the pole causes a Faraday Cage effect then the tracker would be useless.

Now GPS/Bluetooth chip on a disc, that might be a good idea.

Sounds like another reason for people aimlessly wandering around a disc golf course, looking at their phones. I say Pokemon Go is way too much. Actually, so are the geocachers. Throw your disc in the fairway and enjoy nature.

You could use a long through bolt to attach the pole to the base, then bend or rough up the bolt so the nut can be unscrewed. When you want to move the basket you'll need a portable angle grinder to remove the bolt. This assumes that thieves cant just pull the entire pole and base out of the ground and that they're not smart enough to bring their own angle grinder with them to the course.