• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pop on your putt

Nah. putting is simple.

Thats why my putting video gets no views. people want it to be complicated.

Putting is simple, that's until you putt low and question life itself..

On a more serious note, it's reps.. when I actually practiced on the daily, that's when I shot my best rounds. But ain't nobody got time for that.

Putting is simple, that's until you putt low and question life itself..

On a more serious note, it's reps.. when I actually practiced on the daily, that's when I shot my best rounds. But ain't nobody got time for that.
I don't think its reps personally.

I think people suck at putting because they put in to many reps.
They putt while tired. they just have an unrealistic practice routine. Stuff like that.

10 mins a day at least using my putting routine and you'll destroy putts.
Do it 2 times a day, and it gets even scarier.

But what do I know. I still putt really good for not ever practicing anymore.

Ya'll make putting sound complicated.
The longer I play the more complicated it seems. "Put the toy in the bucket" used to be all I had to think about. Trying to break a 6+ year run of the yipps sent me down the rabbit hole of trying to fix it, mentally mostly.

The longer I play the more complicated it seems. "Put the toy in the bucket" used to be all I had to think about. Trying to break a 6+ year run of the yipps sent me down the rabbit hole of trying to fix it, mentally mostly.

I want to figure out a way to help people with the yipps.
But the problem is I don't understand what is going on enough.

There has to be a way to reprogram the brain passed that bad sector that causes the issues.

Coming into the center-ish of the body and doing a wristy linear spin putt to the basket came naturally and intuitively because it seemed and felt like the simplest way to spin the disc on a straight line (straight but angled a bit upwards) to the basket where you are just spinning the disc aligned with where the rim is pointing (which is why this style is only slightly nose down or nose neutral for me), so it felt very point-and-shoot to me and gave me a much higher chance at making putts early on compared to trying anything else, such as a nose down spush style where it feels much less like you are point-and-shooting to me since there isn't a straight line arm movement to the basket but more of a curving pendulum arm movement where the spin being applied doesn't feel as aligned with the rim since the arm is lifting up at a higher angle than where the rim is pointing (hence it's more nose down).
Sorry, my response is a bit late here, didnt really visit the forums much lately.

Yeah I completely forgot how you picked this sport up really fast. Maybe there is also some disconnect here when pros recommend to use a putting motion that comes naturally because they also had an easy time picking this up while putting and throwing feels awkward for most other people for a long time until they practice a ton. On top of that being able to feel which motions feel easy and which dont also requires some feel for you body which a lot of people might not have if they were not active in sports previously.

Regarding the 'natural for me' style putt, Matty O was asked recently about his putt. He said he used to putt differently, mimicking other pros. One day he said to himself 'I'm just going to go tap in that putt, and however I do it, I'll use that technique.'

I do have a natural for me putt. The problem is that it works fantastic, some of the time. For short periods I feel invincible… I figured out that the secret (I can't perfect) is the tempo I use to bring up the disc from the bottom of the swing. That tempo determines how much 'weight' my 'pop' fingers feel on the disc. The acceleration of the swing puts pressure from the disc on my fingertips. If the disc 'feels heavy enough' while coming up, then the spin and pop is there. If I fudge it and it's too weak, then it flops. If I fudge the spread of my fingers, it flops. If the tackiness of my grip is wrong, it flops.

I have noticed something similar where some arm slots (belly button, hip and so on) feel more comfortable than others. I can do a spin putt with a high arm slot and more of a spush style with a lower arm slot but the lower one feels easier on my shoulder. Im sure there is a way to look into why that might be with some more insight into posture when putting. Not sure if recognising that would fall under 'natural' or just analytical as I found it after some video where the instructor mentioned finding the right arm slot.

I also get you with the finger pop. I can manage the same and get some distance with a spush style and while the disc accelerates upward it pushed hard against the finger pads. When it fails the putt is really nose down though and just flops onto the ground. Last year I was really into trying to maximise the finger pop just using a style similar to Calvin and when it works there are really few factors that make the putt miss. When it doesnt it is extremely miserable as the finger pop is such a delicate motor action. Now I will just let my fingers do whatever and fiddle with the rest of the motion.

No need to spam it bro...
I was having convos about this in both of those putting threads so wanted to tie it all together. I guess I could assume people here probably are looking at both and didn't need to post it in both places but wasn't sure.

I was having convos about this in both of those putting threads so wanted to tie it all together. I guess I could assume people here probably are looking at both and didn't need to post it in both places but wasn't sure.

It's all good. People will see it.

Regarding the 'natural for me' style putt, Matty O was asked recently about his putt. He said he used to putt differently, mimicking other pros. One day he said to himself 'I'm just going to go tap in that putt, and however I do it, I'll use that technique.'

I do have a natural for me putt. The problem is that it works fantastic, some of the time. For short periods I feel invincible… I figured out that the secret (I can't perfect) is the tempo I use to bring up the disc from the bottom of the swing. That tempo determines how much 'weight' my 'pop' fingers feel on the disc. The acceleration of the swing puts pressure from the disc on my fingertips. If the disc 'feels heavy enough' while coming up, then the spin and pop is there. If I fudge it and it's too weak, then it flops. If I fudge the spread of my fingers, it flops. If the tackiness of my grip is wrong, it flops.
This is partly why spin putting felt easier and more natural to me because it doesn't rely on that delicacy as much. That weight downward on the fingers is much more from the upwards arm lifting motion.l whereas with spin putting being more linear I don't need that to get a good powerful clean spin. Just spin it forward with the wrist.

But i do default to spush, with smaller more controlled motion when not far away because it's easier to keep it on line. But for like 90% of less simple situations I spin putt because it is so much easier to manipulate the angles for like fill S flight, pushing or stalling anny or hyzer, low ceiling, small windows, etc.

This is partly why spin putting felt easier and more natural to me because it doesn't rely on that delicacy as much. That weight downward on the fingers is much more from the upwards arm lifting motion.l whereas with spin putting being more linear I don't need that to get a good powerful clean spin. Just spin it forward with the wrist.

But i do default to spush, with smaller more controlled motion when not far away because it's easier to keep it on line. But for like 90% of less simple situations I spin putt because it is so much easier to manipulate the angles for like fill S flight, pushing or stalling anny or hyzer, low ceiling, small windows, etc.
How many years have you been playing now?
I'm not asking this as a slight. Because I'm having a huge giggle over here. The enthusiasm is cute.

Bookmark your comment here and come back in like 5 years.
And you'll laugh at yourself really really hard.

It's kind of why I give you a bit of a hard time. The enthusiasm is so good, but because you're so new to the sport, you really just don't know yet. Not in like a ... "you're an idiot" sorta way. but the experience isn't there for you to quite catch what I'm saying.

I promise you that you'll laugh in a few years.
When I finally figured it out, cause I have had all these thoughts you just typed in your head years and years ago, And when I finally got to the point of knowing what I don't know and learning more.
I just look back at old me and go "lawl."

Also, there is SOOOO much more to spin putting than that. And it rely's way more on better mechanics than a spush or push.
I generally steer anyone away from spin putting though, its pretty hard on your elbow.

Nah. putting is simple.

Thats why my putting video gets no views. people want it to be complicated.
I think most people's putting problems are mental, not really mechanics. There are people with garbage mechanics, but once that's solved, it's typically mental

I want to figure out a way to help people with the yipps.
But the problem is I don't understand what is going on enough.

There has to be a way to reprogram the brain passed that bad sector that causes the issues.
If you can figure out an actual way to help the yips (which I do believe are related but not always the same for each person) you have a gold mine. Its definitely a disconnect between brain and hand but the how and why is just crazy. For me? I think it has a lot to do with adrenalin shakes. In trying to figure it out with putting, and having seen the putting yips kind of creep into other athletic endeavors it was never an issue before I can see a lot of it being a spiral with confidence that becomes a monster on your back. BUT, unrelated to the methodical brain in the way putt i've also looked at other things that the quick jerk of my hand has done that is not what my brain is trying to do. FPS games on computers. I've loved them since before online play was a thing and have really sucked at them. Hand eye is good but I get something like an adrenaline spike and my hand just jitters and my mouse control is wrecked. It feels the same as when I Evelina and airball a putt from 12'. Everything feels good then my arm/hand just fucks right off and does its own thing.

But the fact that PGA tour pros and MLB pitchers and catchers have had careers ended because of the yips even with the help of millions of $$ dropped into sport psychologists means it still is pretty mysterious. I don't know if I get relief or grief knowing that its that unsurmountable a hill.

Also, there is SOOOO much more to spin putting than that.
So the "putting is simple" guy thinks spin putting isn't that simple? 😂 Maybe it's just because it came more naturally to me but it seems the most simple style in that just trying to point the rim where you want to aim and then spinning it with your forearm and wrist along that line feels very point and shoot but I know some people feel spush putting is more simple to them, just raise the arm towards the basket.

I can spin putt from a knee from 50 feet on anhyzer, flat, or hyzer with the nose up or down for each of those so I understand enough to do that even with wet low glide putters (I got tired of wiping them off in that vid and stopped wiping them off for the spin putts and it had just rained). With standing and a lot of weight transfer, add a lot more distance, with jumping, I can often avoid having to throw approach and have easy jump approaches instead, similar to what Gannon does but not as crazy but definitely surprises a lot of people.

I can regularly get imperceptible wobble in both my spin and spush putts too and at speed and on all angles.

Last edited:
I think most people's putting problems are mental, not really mechanics. There are people with garbage mechanics, but once that's solved, it's typically mental

Some of it is mental. But its not the confidence mental. Its the wrong mental ques.
Aiming properly, etc. It's basic fundamental stuff that messes with people.

So I made a quick video about it the other week. 400 views. Like legit putting tips that will improve your game instantly. Nobody is interested. They want video's on how to drive further. Cause they want that 12 speed destroyer in their bag to be worth the purchase.
It's like the argument in the 6/7 speed thread about the extra 10-30 feet you get throwing a 12/14 speed disc vs a 6 speed. If you're only getting 30 more feet, you're not helping yourself.
And they are like "But that's a birdy chance, while the other one isn't"
No. it probably isn't a birdy chance, cause you suck at putting for starters, and your drive was probably 30 foot in the woods, not 30 foot short of the basket cause you can't control a big dog driver well. ..... and just gonna.. try not to keep ranting about this.

If you can figure out an actual way to help the yips (which I do believe are related but not always the same for each person) you have a gold mine. Its definitely a disconnect between brain and hand but the how and why is just crazy. For me? I think it has a lot to do with adrenalin shakes. In trying to figure it out with putting, and having seen the putting yips kind of creep into other athletic endeavors it was never an issue before I can see a lot of it being a spiral with confidence that becomes a monster on your back. BUT, unrelated to the methodical brain in the way putt i've also looked at other things that the quick jerk of my hand has done that is not what my brain is trying to do. FPS games on computers. I've loved them since before online play was a thing and have really sucked at them. Hand eye is good but I get something like an adrenaline spike and my hand just jitters and my mouse control is wrecked. It feels the same as when I Evelina and airball a putt from 12'. Everything feels good then my arm/hand just fucks right off and does its own thing.

Yeah, I have no friends that have the Yipps other than Jaani, and he.. well. he's across the pond.
But.. if were going to talk about it like that being an adrenalin dump, maybe we need to find more people with the yipps and find out if that's the same feeling for them to.
So, like when I have random mid day anxiety attacks, its not really anxiety. It's a random adrenalin dump. It's insane. Shakes all sorts of stuff, you're just so wired so hard that you can't function almost. there is no amount of running or task you can do to bleed off the adrenalin.
I wonder if that is more of what it is, but in random short bursts?
Because, if that's really the actual case, it's a nutrition issue. Sounds weird. but it means that some of the receptors in our body are randomly struggling and unable to process.
Might be as simple as methylfolate and trimethylglycine which have a bit to do with some of that stuff.

Gary Brecka has a ton of great vidoe's on this. He was on rogan recently too. The first 80% of it is really good, but then they start talking about IR light beds and stuff and I was like "yeah.. no"
Gary is a huge proponent of breathwork too. But, for us Americans, everything we eat and ingest is poisoned in some way. and its hard to maintain our bodies properly when some of the things we drink have something as simple as cyanide in them. (Monster energy)
It was interesting learning that our food system bases "safety" of foods on "if you were to eat it 1 time and 1 time only would it be safe"

So, if the levels of. say... Cyanide..... in the product are safe for 1 use, then they approve it.
The problem is... We dont drink like 1 of those a year. The people who drink them do it daily.

If you wanna listen. He's got a lot of talks and stuff he does everywhere. But based on the research I've been doing for years now and other people who do similiar things and have went from being hooked on biopharmacy stuff to now they are free of that by using natural medicine and healthier than before. Yeah.
All his stuff tracks. And makes sense too. Cause our body has to be fueld to work right. He has some stuff he talks about with ADHD and it basically is some receptors in the body that get overwhelmed. You do some nutrition adjustment and you'll have your adhd completly under control by making sure those receptors can properly function in your brain.

So the "putting is simple" guy thinks spin putting isn't that simple? 😂 Maybe it's just because it came more naturally to me but it seems the most simple style in that just trying to point the rim where you want to aim and then spinning it with your forearm and wrist along that line feels very point and shoot but I know some people feel spush putting is more simple to them, just raise the arm towards the basket.

I can spin putt from a knee from 50 feet on anhyzer, flat, or hyzer with the nose up or down for each of those so I understand enough to do that even with wet low glide putters (I got tired of wiping them off in that vid and stopped wiping them off for the spin putts and it had just rained). With standing and a lot of weight transfer, add a lot more distance, with jumping, I can often avoid having to throw approach and have easy jump approaches instead, similar to what Gannon does but not as crazy but definitely surprises a lot of people.

I can regularly get imperceptible wobble in both my spin and spush putts too and at speed and on all angles.

That was the point of asking how long you've been playing. I was poking a bit at your hubris there to point it out, because all these things you're saying... I was there years ago. Word for word. I can spin putt, but its more complicated than any of the other putting methods. And on top of that, the accuracy requirements on a spin putt are going to be higher than a hyzer putter, which is already bad. But we dont see those very often anymore. Thank god. Hyzer chop putts are terrible.

The idea behind good putting form is to putt in a fashion that gives you the largest range of acceptable error possible. When you've achieved a repeatable putt that gives you high error advantages, putting becomes far easier.
But I believe everyone overcomplicates putting and putting practice.

How can I spend 10 mins a day and be a really good putter and also keep up with the guy who's making 500-800 putts a day? It's not cause I'm better than him, its because of HOW I practice vs how they practice.
Reps are important, but just like when we go to the gym, its how we lift the weights, not that we are just lifting the weights.

The poke back at you was about you looking back at this in a few years when you really really understand and you'll just get a good giggle at yourself.