• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Tomahawk/Thumber Disc Weight?

Romans 5-8

Eagle Member
There are a ton of threads on favorite discs to use for overhand shots, what I have found is an overwhelming amount of people use a firebird, or a banshee. Also, many people either love or hate the Epic. But I'm wondering the preferred weight. Some people seem to throw extremely low weights in the 150 range, others go big and throw max.

What weight do you throw? Why do you throw it? How does wind and distance factor into your decision?

I'm looking to add an overhead shot to my repertoire, but don't have the extra cash to throw down on a disc I won't use. I'm curious to what advice you guys have for me.

Follow the same guidelines you would for any other driver. Lighter weights will go farther with less effort and easier on the arm and shoulder but be more succeptible to getting kicked around by the wind.

Doesn't seem to really matter as much as mold/technique.

Thanks, I read a ton of those links already, but didn't really find much on specific weights. I guess I will just have to try different discs out and see what works for me. I was just interested in what other people throw and why.

In my bag I carry a flat top Champion Firebird (175) & a Champion Teebird (172), just for overhand shots. I like my overhand discs max weight (or close to it). Max weight discs are less effected by the wind & I don't use my overhand for max distance shots. If I need a lot of distance I'll throw backhand or sidearm. I use overhand for going over obstacles & deadly accuracy. Assuming there isn't a lot of wind, I find my overhand is more accurate up to around 325' than my backhand & sidearm. I also enjoy overhand because I've met some people who call it cheating (its not) :).

Dude I was experimenting with my 12x flat top 175 firebird today and couldn't do a thing with it...thumbers or tomahawk. No distance for sure, it seems way too heavy for me. Maybe I just need more practice, but I was maxing out at like 250 and it was super unpredictable when it hit the ground, it seemed all squirrely.

I have a hard time getting it to do the rotation sometimes, any advice?

I have a hard time getting it to do the rotation sometimes, any advice?
Snap the piss out of it! Make sure you have a good release angle, I prefer the disc as close to vertical when released for consistency.

Another vote for a max weight FAF Firebird or Champ Banshee.

If you don't have a good baseball throw, 250 is all you can really expect.

To get started, make sure your releasing with the disc pointed towards 10 or 2 on a clock, for tommy and thumber respectively. You'll get the rotation with less power required.

i usually tomahawk a discraft flick or pulse in the 160s. im used to throwing a baseball from that position, and baseballs only weigh 145g. anything heavier, and i have to throw harder. even though i used to pitch when i was younger, i still dont want to risk ****ing up my shoulder.

Snap the piss out of it! Make sure you have a good release angle, I prefer the disc as close to vertical when released for consistency.

Another vote for a max weight FAF Firebird or Champ Banshee.

I will definitely try to get more snap, that seems to be why it wasn't flipping very fast. Like I said I'm new to this and only threw it as a second throw today while trying to get a quick 9 in. I probably hucked it ten times total. I tried my 165 destroyer, my flat top firebird 175 and my domey firebird 175.

If you don't have a good baseball throw, 250 is all you can really expect.

To get started, make sure your releasing with the disc pointed towards 10 or 2 on a clock, for tommy and thumber respectively. You'll get the rotation with less power required.

Thanks for the advice, I assume you mean 2 for thumber and 10 for tomahawk right handed?

I have probably thrown overhead like 50 times... EVER. so I need more practice definitely, I was probably throwing most of them at 12 oclock to be honest.

I like some variety, I usually use a 172 Ape. Can get it near 400ft on a good day, if I'm going for more control I like a175 KC 12x Firebird.

Having said that if I'm getting tired I'll use a136 Blizzard Boss.

Evryone compares the throw to a baseball throw...

The weight of a baseball must be between 5 and 5 ¼ ounces (142 to 149 grams). So maybe that's why people throw 150 class firebirds? I throw a mid 160's fb.

I throw flat Glow Teebirds and 12x Firebirds in weights 167-169 for thumbers. I can put them out to 250-300ft. I have never tried anything lighter than that.