• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

tomahawk

scruff33187

hello i'm a new disc golfer and i love the tomahawk it has been my key to all my birdies in sanborn and it helps on other courses. what is a good disc to use for this specific throw to get maximum results? thanks for the input :)

The theory is that overstable discs are better for any type of overhead throw. Every company makes something that is overstable, but you will probably want to get one in a plastic that will take a lot of beating and not get too beat up. I really liked my Champion Xcaliber until I lost it.

champion banshee. i actually have a thumber ace with the banshee in my avatar pic....

Traditional discs would be a Firebird, or a Banshee.

Non-traditional would be an Epic..err PURPLE EPIC. Be warned; you will either learn to use it and love it or just absolutely hate it, but you would be in the club with all the cool kids.

the best tomahwak disc is the flick and the fire bird is the second best, theres no need to try any other disc

Max soaring, sweeping D = Champion Whippet-x
Max line-drive or skipper D = Z Xtreme
Big D & relatively straight = 11x Firebird (gummy to minimize rollaways, if you wish)
Laser-straight w/ pinpoint accuracy = Champion Banshee (gummy to minimize rollaways, if you wish)

Dont get the epic unless your gay.

Nevermind this anti-Epic Rhetoric! :D

The Epic is the best disc for....striking up interesting conversations and debates. This spot would be reserved for the Turbo Putt but it has had its PDGA endorsement already revoked; therefore the debate is over.

Max soaring, sweeping D = Champion Whippet-x
Max line-drive or skipper D = Z Xtreme
Big D & relatively straight = 11x Firebird (gummy to minimize rollaways, if you wish)
Laser-straight w/ pinpoint accuracy = Champion Banshee (gummy to minimize rollaways, if you wish)

So say I want to enter tournament play and dont want to deal with the Epic.

The Whippet you say gets more glide then once it hits the top of its flight?

Where does the Flick fit in on this?

Im just curious as I have a Banshee but I've always wanted more glide once it hits the top of the flight. It just keeps flipping in a corkscrew and rarely seems to take the glide.

Whippet-x flips over much more slowly & g-l-i-d-e-s as it does. Banshee flips over quickly & drops straight. I've never thrown a Flick, so can't comment on it.

Too fast for my taste. The faster the disc, the faster it corkscrews; robbing distance. That is why I feel the ultra-modern ultra-fast drivers are not too suitable for overhand crushes.

Hmm I just might have to try a whippet then; unless someone has some real input on the Flick.

i throw a flick. From my understanding the more overstable and fast the longer the disc will go vertical before turning flat. 80 percent of your distance comes when the disc is vertical. flick has helped me in a huge way. its added at least 50 feet or so on my throws and its really not a hard disc to learn. Its super overstable and fast so its best for overhand.

whippets and other discs mentioned simply wont get the distance of a flick. You might want to use other discs for shorter shots but if your looking for distance id go flick.

glgl

oh and make sure u get the right weight. it made a big diff for me. U dont want to light but too heavy is even worse. I got like a 168g and love it.

I'd say a flick or force on discrafts side. Not too sure about innova's since i don't throw many overhead shots as it kills my shoulder, but the Firebird is probably a good choice

Does anyone have a preference for a Gateway disc to use for an overhead shot?

Latest posts