• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tossin Wizards

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Here's the newest Putter video I've put together, number 3.  I'm very excited about this one.  My
form is cleaner and I can throw for greater distance, and I've
developed my FH, FH roller and BH roller enough to want to share them.
The editing is done much better this time and the camera angles are
superior to the first 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaYHy5TBUdw

I only watched the third one cause you said its the best.
Nice rips with the wiz. What impressed me most was the backhand distance rollers. I have not tried rolling putters long many times (usually just forehand rollers, which I throw a lot), but they always have seemed touchy whether they will stand up, or flip over compared to my XL's (usual rollers)

I learned rollers using a flippy stalker I've got and never tried putters. Recently I've been throwing just wizards and I found out I can get an extra 20-30' of D by going with a roller. I was surprised at how far they go. They feel a lot like rolling a newer stalker, just slower.

Yeah, I roll XL's and Surges right now, I used to roll the OLS a lot. The grass here is still too thick to get any distance advantage to rolling a putter. I roll a max weight beat surge for D just cause its the only thing that cuts through the grass enough. Looks like you have found the value of driving putters, its one of the best skills to have. I couldn't tell you how often people say "I wish I could drive this hole with a putter" and scoff when I tell them they can. Some of these guys are the same guys who while their max D drives are not much shorter than mine throw Buzzz/coyote/mako ect for 150' approaches instead of one of their putters.

Those are some nice vids. Like TDK, I just watched the 3rd video. It's been a while since I've been out to the practice field for some all out crushes with putters. I may have to go out sometime after work now :).

Hey, nice vid! Just watched the 3rd cuz that's what everyone else did. Nice rollers and flicks, never seen rollers with a putter, looks like they went pretty well. Great music too.

Flipflat said:
Great music too.

I agree, I also dig the song clip you have in your "does he display balance?" thread over at DGCR

Very nice.

This video made me realize I need to work on my putter skillz some more...I never even thought of rolling them for distance. I've only ever used the overhand flick around-the-corner putter roller.

It also made me wonder why I'm lugging all these discs around. ;)

sleepy

Glad you guys dig the music. Six Organs Of Admittance is one of my favorite bands.

sleepy said:
It also made me wonder why I'm lugging all these discs around. ;)

Hahah me too. Hole 2 long is a hole I'd normally use a Stalker or Predator, 4 long I usually throw a turnover with a Stalker and don't get any further than my putter roller did, 13 long I've put plenty of Stalker rollers short like that too. This is why I'm doing this discing down program of mine. Gonna add mids back in my bag eventually, then fairway drivers and so forth. This way I get forced to use slower discs for shots I wouldn't and it forces me to see how far I can get on longer holes with slower discs than I normally use. It's eye opening for sure. I've had Wizard drives that landed it spots that would of made me proud if I had thrown a Stalker, like this one on 7 short (360' hole with slight uphill finish, pond to throw over and trees to throw a gentle turnover shot through).

Cool vid.

On a side note, /begin sarcasm that 2nd putt was a falling putt, lets start a long thread about it even though that has nothing to do with the purpose of this video. Also that under the leg putt had to be some kind of illegal... /end sarcasm.

I caught that stupid thread earlier this week and rewatched the vid he was talking about. From my viewpoint, you had control the entire time... wish I could have stood up for you earlier in that thread.

Marmoset, we have our days. Only got -1 on the front 10 from the shorts yesterday because we had moderate rain and 20+mph winds. In a strong headwind I drive with LOTS of hyzer and power down a bit, and I avoid flipping them over.

The falling putt thread...if nothing else it motivated me to come back to this forum. Got out of the habit of coming here when DGR went down for a bit but I'll stick around.

Here's a post I made on DGCR about the specific Wizards I'm using currently.

--------------

Forgot to put this in my last post. Someone had requested I do this so...

HqleV.jpg

Top left & Top center - Stiff, max weight Evo Wizard x-outs. These were used for rollers in the video and some air shots. I typically roll them and throw them on drives with a strong chance of hitting a tree or when I want more wind resistance.

Top right - 170g Evo misprint. Super flexible and grippy like FLX plastic, maybe even more flexible. Flew like a broken in Wizard brand new so I like it for shots where I want minimal fade or a bit of a right turn.

Bottom left - 166g Organic Prototype, putting putter.

Bottom center - 175g Glow Wizard, night time shots and some day time drives and approach

Bottom right - Soft, pretty flexible 175g Wizard. Favorite driving Wizard at the moment. Flies pretty stable at the end of it's flight but goes straight a long ways before it starts the fade.

Threw a 171g Soft (Pretty firm, not flexible much at all) orange Wiz on 9 short too, didn't photograph it though.

Mike. I just finished watching only #3 since I am a follower zombie. You insipired me to go put in some fieldwork time on all my shots using putters.

The big thing I took away from your video is how instructive it would be to go out and record myself playing a round. A lot of stuff I work on in the field doesn't work as well when put to the test on the course and actually being able to watch what I'm doing on the course after the fact seems like a fantastic idea.

I'm gunna have to try driving my wiz next time I'm out, although I'm sure it won't be as successful! Crazy how you throw rollers with a putter, I've never had any success w/ any of mine. Some nice tosses!

That course looks awesome!

Are you the Mike Cook that wrote his name on the basket at 3 min and 12 seconds? If the video is in the right order it said that it was hole 16 and that was 390'. Nice job acing it that many times with just wizards but why would you ink up the basket like that?

Mike: If you ever come to FL I challenge you to a putter only round, Ions vs. Wizards! :D

Steve said:
Are you the Mike Cook that wrote his name on the basket at 3 min and 12 seconds? If the video is in the right order it said that it was hole 16 and that was 390'. Nice job acing it that many times with just wizards but why would you ink up the basket like that?

Inked it the first time I aced it, then kept going because I thought it was funny acing it with different types of Wizards like that. I've only hit it from the short tee though, which is a very easy 260' shot over those bushes. I know some people look down on inking baskets, but these baskets are from 1980, about to be replaced, and over half of them are heavily inked. Here, no one seems to care, and the pro's that showed me the ropes of DG all have a few baskets signed out here themselves. I don't go around inking pristine baskets at a course I rarely play if I hit metal or something.

marmoset said:
I think Mike has only recently gone *all Wizards*
He used to carry a full bag.

True, went all Wizards 3 weeks ago. Full bag was Wiz / Buzz / Stalker / Pred / Orc for the curious. Going back to my full bag tomorrow in prepartion for the monster tourney in canton coming up, bag should stay the same except Stalkers will be compared against Gazelles and Teebirds for my control driver, and Orc will face the Destroyer for my distance disc.

discspeed said:
Mike: If you ever come to FL I challenge you to a putter only round, Ions vs. Wizards! :D

Sounds good, I'd love to see what you can do with your Ion. I felt like I didn't see it's potential as a short range disc, though I liked how straight it would fly when new on a full powered rip.

Latest posts