• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

tournament legal

Pat said:
Yes, x-outs are tournament legal

With the caveat the "X-out" Status doesn't make the disc an illegal weight.

have you ever weighed a disc... I bet 1/5 of my max weight discs are listed at 175 and are 177 or more

They're legal but you have to say, "I'm going to throw an X Out on this hole, OK?" to everyone in your group.

Just kidding. I actually got a friend of mine to do that during league. I guess it took three holes til someone told him he didn't have to ask.

Mr.SmOOOth said:
They're legal but you have to say, "I'm going to throw an X Out on this hole, OK?" to everyone in your group.

Just kidding. I actually got a friend of mine to do that during league. I guess it took three holes til someone told him he didn't have to ask.

You sir, are a true champ. And a bastard. I like you.

thanks for your answers, i just ordered some x-out proline candy leopards and wanted to make sure id be able to use them if i ever decided to play in a tournament

Personally, I love the X-out discs. Half my bag is X-out drivers/Rocs. The X-out stamp is sweet (and easy to remove if you want blank or dyed discs), and it also means that if people want to know what you are throwing, they have to ask.

It's awesome to see the look on someone's face when you crush an X-out teebird to the pin, and the surprise when they realize it was a teebird and not a destroyer/wraith/etc... The anonymity of the X-outs is awesome.

I've never had a problem with how an X-out flies. They cost less and throw the same. Win/win, IMHO.

It's illegal to modify a disc for different flight characteristics once it leaves the factory, but cleaning up edges that have been chewed up by chains and trees is fine, IIRC, so it depends on how, where, and why you are sanding or smoothing.

If you're modifying it to the point where anyone's going to notice, I'd use it only for rec play

aquascummm said:
It's illegal to modify a disc for different flight characteristics once it leaves the factory

I have always wondered if that includes removing the flashing. I mean that's the point right, to make the disc fly how it is supposed to? Changing the flight characteristics...

gratefuldisc said:
aquascummm said:
It's illegal to modify a disc for different flight characteristics once it leaves the factory

I have always wondered if that includes removing the flashing. I mean that's the point right, to make the disc fly how it is supposed to? Changing the flight characteristics...

What if you're doing it to make a putter in ESP Plastic grab the chains a bit better?? I've had my GT Banger slip through the chains several times, so I took a brand-new stainless steel pot scrubber to the edge to scuff it up a bit.

Is that illegal??

Question: I added some strips of lead tape to add some weight to a really light putter I have, would that be considered a non conforming disc?

I embedded some copper coils and an atmel chip powered by a 2032 button cell battery, as well as some magnets. The disc automatically flexes via the electromagnets to correct for sudden breezes. Is that legal?

aquascummm said:
I embedded some copper coils and an atmel chip powered by a 2032 button cell battery, as well as some magnets. The disc automatically flexes via the electromagnets to correct for sudden breezes. Is that legal?

Only if it's pre-set and can't be adjusted in-flight via remote control.

aquascummm said:
It's illegal to modify a disc for different flight characteristics once it leaves the factory, but cleaning up edges that have been chewed up by chains and trees is fine, IIRC, so it depends on how, where, and why you are sanding or smoothing.

If you're modifying it to the point where anyone's going to notice, I'd use it only for rec play

going from this- my old Xpress hit the basket with such velocity once that it took a good half inch wide wedge of plastic out of the rim- clean cut.

would this be illegal? just because it looks as though it could have been tampered with?

you can only have up to a 1/4 gash in a disc, or was it 1/8th of an inch I can't remember right now but a 1/2 inch is a no go for sure.

man, I loved that disc. illegal or not.

guess that bastard who took it from it's lie and threw it into the woods (I posted about this in another rant thread) might have done me a favor.

wait. no.

I still hate him.