• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Training a Dog to be a Discer

Fritz

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Anyone got tips on how to train your dog to:

1. Not kill your disc
2. Off leash train them to go to your disc and wait

Thanks for any other tip gems you have :)

My last dog was not a discin dog (Irish Wolf hound) This one is a border collie.

My friend has a golden retriever that goes for the disc either way. He actually just yells at him unless he wants him to get the disc he won't say anything lol. The 2 dogs I take to the park don't seem the slightest bit interested in playing fetch, they don't even look at the discs. I think they can be trained to sniff out the peroleum in the plastic, but as far as I know, some dogs chase after them every time and some don't even notice you're throwing things.

Fritz said:
Anyone got tips on how to train your dog to:

1. Not kill your disc
2. Off leash train them to go to your disc and wait

Thanks for any other tip gems you have :)

My last dog was not a discin dog (Irish Wolf hound) This one is a border collie.

Train your dog to duck hunt, then switch him over to discs. That is what I've been told about training a dog to retrieve discs for you.

I just played a round with a guy I know and his Visla (SoCo). He's trained her to fetch only when told to and she'll even pull a disc out of 1' of water. I don't know what he did with her for training wise but I need to ask. He did mention that in general bird dogs have a very soft mouth when the pick something up. Also, she never tried to run-a-way with the disc once she got it but I think that was just hit or miss.

As far as a Border Collie goes you shouldn't have any problem getting her/him to do EXACTLY what you want. They are incredibly intelligent and want to make you happy. I would recommend talking with someone in your area from a Border Collie organization. They will be the best bet to find some good training material and tips.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the tips all :)
Can't wait to get her trained :)

My GF has a border collie that catches frisbee like a champ. I would start with getting her to fetch. This is pretty natural and will be the easiest thing to train. After she has that figured out, teach her to stay until you release her to go after the disc. Then you have to make a command to go to the disc and wait. (Mark?) This will probably be the toughest segment to train.
Look into buying a clicker and a training book. It's unbelievable how well that technique works. Remember to always start small and work from there. Repetition and praise are key. The collies temperament is likely much meeker than a wolf hound, so try not to discipline too much. Good luck.

A guy I play with has a border collie and this dog is wicked smart. It loves to chase some putter rolls inbetween holes. It wont leave his side until he is givin the command to do so, LOTS of dicipline. This dog listens better than my five year old! Ive tried to get my beagle interested, he has no intrest in a disc but will tear up a tennis ball from some reason.

now that it's been a few months, how's it going with your dog? any gems of wisdom or advice?

I'm interested too. I just got a Boxer puppy yesterday. Boxers are very active and my other 2 weren't too much into it. I'd like this one to be

there are two things i would like to train a dog to do. one is to retrieve discs on command but know to leave them alone if i don't give the command. the other is just to find discs that go into thick brush, although i rarely play on courses where losing discs is an issue. i'm wondering if one dog could be trained to perform both of these two tasks or if it would be too confusing for it to know when to find it and NOT bring it back.

I have a chocolate lab who does exactly what you are looking for. On a normal basis May just goes after her disc. She does not need any coaxing to do this but if I have throw it and she missed it I just say "go get your disc" or "where is your disc" and she is off like a flash to find it. She will often run up to other discs to sniff / check them out but doesn't pick them up. If I accidently throw a disc into the water or brambles I simply walk her over to that area and say "where is the disc May?" She generally quickly finds it; on occasion I will throw a rock or stick in their general direction to get her looking in the right area. The key is waiting until she has found the disc and then telling her "it's ok, get the disc" and as soon as she starts to pick it up hollering "good girl." If she as for some reason misunderstood me I alway say leave it if she were to start to pick up a disc that was not hers or one I needed her to get. Any commands will do these are just what I used. Repetition is the key so go play more golf.

Micah said:
Repetition is the key so go play more golf.

Best advice ever. It will take a while but do the training in small steps and it will pay off. Border collies are usually very smart and having a "job" for them to do is important to keep them from being too high strung around the house. DG doggie is about the best "job" ever for a dog, it will keep him/her tired and happy.

Latest posts