• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Trilogy OS Fairway driver thoughts?

scarywoody

Noodly arm here throwing my fairway drivers ~275-300. I really enjoy throwing my DD Escape and Witness. The Escape seems more stable than overstable, and I'd like something I can get flat and have it finish with a hard fade at the end. I tried the Felon, but it is too OS for me to get to go anywhere. I tried the Convict and something about it just doesn't click. I was looking around and wondering which of the following Trilogy OS fairways are noob friendly. Cheers

Saint Pro
Culverin
LongBowman
Stag

Longbowman will be too OS if you couldn't throw a Felon.

I'd start with a St Pro or Stag

I love my longbowman but I have a but more power than you. But depending on how you plan on using it, it may be exactly what you need.

I went through a similar search last year, to find a OS Fairway Driver for my ~300' arm. I bag Saints as my "stable" Fairway driver, so the Saint Pro is great complement both feel and flight wise...

I recall the Escape being quite fast, so the Culverin might be worth trying out. In my experience, it was the fastest (and longest) of the discs listed AND had rim configuration that was more like the Escape.

Good luck with your search!

At your arm speed the Stag is going to be good.

I throw mine on a rope with a good bit of turn on shots 350-400 and just love the flight and glide. It keeps its fade for a long time, but it's not a big fade like you get from a Felon or XXX.

I throw about the same distance
I use a saint as my main driver
(Which is similar to the escape)
I also carry a saint pro for when I need a big hooking/gliding fade, or its a little windy.
My next step up that I carry is the Longbowman, I use it for flex shots or higher speed winds.
It has more of a hard dumping fade for guaranteed fight to the ground, and wind resistance.

Another vote for longbowman. At first its pretty OS, but breaks in pretty quickly to be a better Saint Pro IMO.

I'd recommend the recycled Spark for this slot. Hard fade, moreso than Culverin in my experience, but you will still get some distance out of it.

Saint then Pro. Don't touch the felon again as it is just pure os. The new strikers are actually os in the opto line..

Another vote for the Culverin. Very PDish, a bit slower, a bit more glide. I pair an opto Culverin with a fluid Escape.

I am always surprised that people don't talk about the Sampo in this slot. The Elasto's from the Trilogy Challenge really gave the disc a bad name. The current release of VIPs are actually really nice and I think they are right on the money for what the OP is looking for: Workably overstable in the speed 9-10 range.

Kinda like a Culverin, but a little bit more straight-to-fade rather than slow glidey hyzer. I think they are just what the doctor ordered.

My vote goes for the Culverin. It will be longer than the Longbowman with your arm speed and have the most similar feel compared to the Escape. If it doesn't work, then try the Saint Pro.

Recycled Spark is slower so you might miss the distance you get from the Escape.

The one VIP Sampo I had was quite close to Escape so might not bring enough added stability. Same goes for the Stag.

I'm bagging the spark for that shot. I think I have a similar arm speed to you. I like that it has the same size rim as my river which is my main squeeze fairway. The Recycled Sparks are more managable, I think it will do right what you're looking for. The optos are gnarly overstable, I'm pretty sure they retooled the mold for the recycled run so they will get out a bit further before that fade kicks in. My opto is already going left during my backswing.

Culverin. It will turn in strong headwinds, but it always has lots of fade. Saint Pro is pretty similar.

Longbowman is like Spark or Trident, superb control in headwinds, but not a general purpose disc for your power, which is about the same as mine.

Stag is nice, but I've never thrown one I'd call OS.

Latest posts