• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trying to choose a good disc to throw far

DiscGolfMaster

Par Member
I just realized today that I never turned away from basket/fairway on a distance drive (say 400+ ft) in my run up. I always kept my eye on my target. Therefore my distance was hindered.

So now today I threw some amazingly hard shots with such an awesome feeling snap, it was incredible! But its seems I throw too hard for most of my discs now. My Vulcan, beat up wraith, and beat up destroyer turn over too hard to the right and never fade back. And my teerex doesn't turn enough, because it isn't supposed too I don't think. Should I practice throwing a hyzer flip maybe? I tried that a little but I don't feel comfortable when it snaps out and I don't seem to be able to control it very well.

Or is there a disc that would do a nice "S" curve for me considering what I have told you?

Before I could hit 350 with my vulcan, but I kinda had to force it to anhyzer a little, I couldn't just rely on its understableness. Now I'm not sure if I throw it too hard or something. I did have a little head wind today and that might be whats giving me my trouble.

I have been playing for a long time, but I've just been learning RHBH the past 2 years.

I do t think you can actually throw a Vulcan or a Destroyer too hard. Maybe a Wraith, but you need an unbelievable cannon. Not trying to feed the trolls but this doesn't really make sense.Post a video of your drive in the critique section. I guarentee you that you are not throwing too hard, no offense.

Haven't got a chance to throw a newer wraith or destroyer.

I agree that it doenst make sense that I could throw them too hard. The discs would start off level then go right steeply and then either crash still going right, or just start to level off before they hit the ground.

The wraith was the worst. Even throwing it at a steep left angle, it would quickly level itself off and then go right, crazy I know. Thanks for the help so far. Elaborate more on not throwing high speed discs though.

If you're not throwing speed 9-10 discs 350+ you're probably not getting much advantage throwing 13s. I'm currently maxing out at about 325 and it doesn't really mater if I throw an Archon/Star Beast or a Boss/Havoc. But the high speed discs are much more form sensitive so I don't bother to throw them.

Search for "discing down" threads.

Really it sounds like a case of OAT to me. The only way to tell though is to have a video accompanying this post.

Torque monkeys think they throw too hard to make themselves feel better.

You are not throwing too hard, just wrong.

Not trying to sound like I'm bragging or think I'm a "torque monkey" lol, just trying to get advice, thats all.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll work on uploading a video soon, since I don't have one, it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I can't throw putters and midranges very far (I have thrown my cobra midrange 500+ downhill but had to let it go at a super steep hyzer for not to crash right) because I can't power grip that tiny rim comfortably, it feels awful. So my distance has to come from my higher speed drivers. I can throw my Vulcan dead straight when I don't need to kill it. My wraith is an excellent anhyzer disc for throwing around right doglegs. Threw it the other day about 340 fading right the whole way slightly uphill. I'm not a noob at the game and can usually get my discs to go where they need to go.

I'm just now really trying to work on a good solid power throw for a newer course that opened up near me that requires top distance drives on almost every hole. 400 - 750 ft. it would be nice to reach 400 at least.

I can't tell if you are serious.
Torque money just means you are over compensating and turning over heavily overstable discs.
When you say you are maxing out at 350 we know you are not bragging, but saying you are throwing "too hard" makes me think you are over torquing it.

I'm serious.

Clarify over torque-ing? Does that mean I'm not throwing on a level plane? I am throwing understable discs, I know they turn over, they are supposed to. But I've thrown them all for a long time and all of a sudden I am throwing them and they turn over way too hard. Just curious on how to throw them or if I should have a more stable disc for big D drives?

I thought I would get more constructive advice in these forums, and so far most people make fun and give advice thats mean or so straight to the point I don't understand. I use Innova discs, any driver suggestions for one of those maybe?

Well, you mentioned there was a head wind today. That will certainly make your disc turn a little, and if your form is not top notch, maybe a little more so. I doubt you could throw a fresh Destroyer to hard, why don't you pick a new one to see how you rip it ? I can also suggest a Discmania S PD 170-175. I have one and you can put a lot of mustard on it and it will fly pretty straight (a healthy fade when new). It's a speed 10 or so, so you would actually be both listening to the people that are saying "disc down" and to your desire to buy new plastic. There is not really a distance limit to a S PD btw. It's not the longest disc in the World, but for ams with average/good arm, I believe they are in a sweet spot.

Sweet Kp0c! Thanks for the best advice yet, I'll definitely try out that disc. I know my form is not top notch and I'm anxious to get out there and practice and improve it. Hopefully on a calm day next :). My dad has a almost new star destroyer, and I'll try that one too.

I will leave it as is until I see a video. until then I picture you as a guy on DGR making a big joke of our advice.
In the mean time try throwing some newer discs in the molds you are used to and not in a head wind and see if you still get the same result. It could all be the wind and beat plastic, not you throwing "too hard"

I do t think you can actually throw a Vulcan or a Destroyer too hard. Maybe a Wraith, but you need an unbelievable cannon. Not trying to feed the trolls but this doesn't really make sense.Post a video of your drive in the critique section. I guarentee you that you are not throwing too hard, no offense.

Sure you can. If it's a beat to snot pro destroyer, it's turning.

you just changed your mechanics from not turning your body and head to turning away. Im sure thats messing with your throw right at the hit. for me at least, the more i turn away the more potential i have to roll my wrist at the end if im not careful. l bet you got some toasty oats going on in your throw now. but video is the only way to know.

With your new back to the target form, ensure youre not arching around and/or rolling your wrist.

How beat and what plastics are you using?
Hyzer will help control the turn.
A wraith/destroyer combo is the basic distance combo (i use a hurricane/surge combo) so they should treat you well.

How does a tbird fly for you?