• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trying to choose a good disc to throw far

But just as a starter for you, discs tend to behave more understable when thrown down hill, and they tend to behave more overstable when trying to throw up hill. I am not aerodynamically intelligent and likely can't properly explain why this happens, but this is how it works with elevation.

Assuming that you throw level to the surface you are fighting gravity when throwing uphill, and gravity is helping your disc gain speed down hill. Same principal as rolling a ball.

i throw my wraith super cocked when i throw it it comes up level stays the has a slight fade left i threw it about 400ft yesterday. i just x step and rip it. i just had acl surgery like 4 months ago. so i cant really twist my lower body im all arm n my form is terrible. but no wobble and i can control it

I have been reading this post being a new player myself and have learned a few new things. I am interested in the forum that teaches us more about things like how throwing uphill/downhill/in the wind, and other such things that will effect the flight of a disc. Is there a link for those things? I will do some searching now and hopefully will find it myself.

Lol sorry steinkecm, been working like crazy this week, haven't had time for disc golf. Self employment work goes in and out. Past couple months I've barely worked, so I've had tons of disc golf time. Sounds like I'll have some more time next week.

Discs I'm gonna try are a new wraith and valk. Putting is going well with the soft banger gt. and mid shots are doing good with my cobra and spider. Dying to disc golf!!!!

Will be disc golfing tomoro and I'm going to try to figure out this wrist rolling thing.

Finally got some disc time in and was able to throw and new blizzard destroyer. (wraith and valk haven't come yet).

Threw the destroyer 5 times and it snapped out of my hand a flew very well. This blizzard disc seems to want to lift off the ground more than my other drivers, so I have to nose it down more and keep it very low. Not sure if I notice much improvement as far as distance, but I didnt throw it enough to know for sure.

Threw the vulcan excellent the one time I threw it. Which was on a 358ft straight level shot with tree obstacles down the fairway. It did a perfect S curve and landed 15ft past the basket! Made the putt for a bird. Perfect disc golf day other than my putting being a little off.

I think I'm finally getting consistant control with my drives. Thanks everyone for your analysis of my throw! :)

Assuming that you throw level to the surface you are fighting gravity when throwing uphill, and gravity is helping your disc gain speed down hill. Same principal as rolling a ball.

This explains all there is to know about throwing uphill. :hfive: