• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Turn & Burn; Average Distance?

AndyJ

Hey all,

Long time lingerer, infrequent poster. I typically cruise the forums (which have been excellent in finding answers to the questions I have), but I think I've got one that may not have been asked yet.

Here's the deal: I have 2 understable drivers (a Sidewinder and a Beast) that I can hyzer flip pretty easily, but if I throw either one flat, they turn and burn & never come back left (RHBH). However, my typical max D is only around 275-300. Longest shot probably ever was a tailwind-aided flex shot with a Force (I know, I have no business throwing a Force, but my home course has 2 short holes with 90-degree turns, so I deliberately underthrow that Force for the tight turn) that went about 350'.

I find it really easy to flip these understable discs all the way over, but my distance is really only average. Should I be able to throw a Teebird farther than 300' for the amount of flip I put on the understable discs? I know my technique's not perfect, but I guess I'm just trying to zero in on the specific flaw that might be causing this problem.

Thanks!

Without seeing video of your form but judging by your distance/disc behavior, I'm guessing you just have a lot of arm speed and not enough snap in your throws. Arm speed will turn the discs pretty easy. Other than that, could be the infamous OAT, but again it's hard to tell without video.

perhaps when youre trying to throw flat your rolling the wrist over hard making it an anyhzerish shot which never comes back?? this can happen when you try to hard to SNAP

Both those guys hit it, it could be any of these:

Too much arm speed for too little snap

OATs

Messy release angle

We need more info/video to tell for sure.

Thanks guys... I think I tend to throw too hard for the amount of wrist snap I can generate (same with golf, I swing too hard). I've been working on Feldberg's towel exercise and the hammer drills. I'll work on getting a video of my BH throw up here soon.

Try to be conscious of your follow through. Back when I was throwing your distance I had this same problem and it was due to OAT caused by following through too low.