• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Two-years-in bag

tjh0188

Par Member
Distance capabilities:
putters-280/300
Mids-300/320
Fairway/control-350ish
Distance-450

Primarily RHBH though I am slowly improving my RHFH capabilities. Mostly use it as get out of trouble shots.

All bag updates at the end of the thread!

Ibex is a great too underappreciated mid that is somewhat user error tolerant. The reason for your driver inconsistencies lie in the form and in the discs above the Eagle X in your list. At this point you should do a lot of field practice with putters and mids and you should bust out drivers only on the course and headwinds to learn the fastest. It's not a playing time but distance issue. A video would help too. Rocs, Buzzzes and Ibexes compete for the same role so i'd pick one or two you like the best. Rocs are shorter and beat into less stable and are cheaper so you'd save money and get distance control from the longer and faster lower flying Ibex/Buzzz and the latter are easier on the grip give more user error tolerance into headwinds for less than perfect form.

Thanks for the input! I'm working on building a tripod to mount my phone to for taking video so when I get that set up ill post some video. But most of my form issues while driving involves my run up I think. Aside from that I really need to force myself to get comfortable holding the disc with 4 fingers. I have big hands and long fingers so I usually hold drivers with three.

Can you consistently throw in the correct direction with only two fingers? That leads more easily to micro slips or even early slips. YMMV but for me the added looseness of the forearm muscles adds so much more acceleration ability that the reduced disc pivot is more than compensated for with the added speed.

So in other words you suggest I work on getting used to a real grip and quit throwing like a sissy. This is gonna take a while >.<

Got some practice in today. Made a few very nice shots and only threw the destroyers for giggles. Still maxing out about 300ish with the buzz + eagle, river but much more accurate using 4 fingers. It just feels funky.

Also, threw the buzz and ibex back to back the same way (hyzerflip) on the same hole and the ibex just went right, whereas the buzz went straight as anticipated. I don't know much about the ibexes so any input on how they like to be thrown would be much appreciated. I really enjoy the way the vibram stuff I have feels so I would hate to kick it out of my bag.

Good Buzzzes won't flip and Ibexes neither so you have OAT going on. Whether it comes from unclean releases or other causes like wrist rolls or the arm following through low i can't say. Two finger grip is not for most and especially annies tend to slip out and they are the most catastrophic misses because you wanna go right and early slips lead to high stalling left finishes. Two finger grip needs a lot of finger power. 300' Buzzz is good getting the same with the Eagle and the River sure ain't. That is almost certainly nose up problem. Do the drivers climb and stall with a heavy fade?

They used to, they sure don't now. I started dropping my throwing shoulder to bring my throw down and I have straightened out considerably. Now just to get some more momentum going. Been primarily throwing the eagle and river for anything over 300 and using the buzz and kc roc below 300.

So the lines are good but do you throw with under 8' apexes with the Eagles and Rivers? That may limit the distance. But more likely you don't generate enough power so do you reach back fully turning the back and the toes away from the target at the farthest point of reach back?

I can't say for sure the height, but I can say they aren't stalling out like they were before. I have been turning my body much more but I think I still have some timing to figure out.

Do the discs fly with nose parallel to the ground or low not stalling but with a hair nose up? That can slow down the disc without lifting it super high at that power. Then wrist angle and a constant height pull from the reach back to the rip should help some too. Video is the only way to tell for sure. Weight forward or at least being upright is a major issue too.

Bag update. Added a 175 fd and a 169 champion orc and have had some fantastic results.

New bag lineup:
172 beat XCal
170 medium wear Pro Destroyer
154 Blizzard Destroyer
168 champ Starfire
169 beat pearly champ Orc
170 star Beast
175 12x champ teebird
175 s-fd
177 gl River
177 z Buzz
176 SM Roc, KC Roc, Star Rancho Roc
176 V.P. medium
171 Ridge medium

changes and such:
170 AJ *DS (for giggles, i still don't quite have the arm for it.)
168 domey Pro Wraith ( MAX D)
168 Champ Starfire (WIND)
172 P-PD
170 Star Beast (understable till P-PD beats in)
171 Star Firebird (super extra stupid overstable)
168 Star Valk
175 Champ TeeBird
175 S-FD
177 GL River
177 Z Buzz
176 Star SM Roc, KC Roc, Star Rancho Roc
176 V.P. medium (got this sucker out to 270 or so the other day!)
171 Ridge medium
172 Summit firm

making lots of distance headway. controlling my power with my fairway drivers has yielded some of my best improvements over the last month or so, same with midranges. who knew golf was about control! S-PD and P-DD in the mail

In the spirit of mold minimalism I've been throwing fewer of the discs that I carry. Results:

Spd 172 mild dome new
Ppd 172 flat and beat. flips and light turnover shots that fade back
Sfd 175 mildly worn line shaping
177 gl river turnovers and flips
176 star Rancho roc overstable duties
176 kc pro roc flat worn in straight
176 star San Marino Hyzer flips easier than the other two rocs and carries.turnovers nicer
Vibram putters.176 vp 171 ridge 172 summit

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Added a champ 175 fd and 170 cfr cpd for overstable duties. My 177 river seems to be more versatile than my fds. I just can't seem to get the fd to hyzerflip like I can the river

proposed throwing stock for spring 2013:
going all in with the wizard for a run. 5 SS wizards @ 175 and 5 s wizards at 170. as long as the ss ones come as tacky as the white one i have now, i'll be a happy camper.
176 medium V.P for more overstable putter duties
172 firm summit for understable until wizards beat in

lots of rocs:
180 KC Glow highest parting line of them all, second highest dome, most overstable, doesnt like to flip up and still hyzers out sub 300ftish
176 star rancho biggest dome, second highest PLH. does everything the kc glow does a little faster.
177 dx rancho lowest plh, less dome than the kc glow, waiting for this to season nicely
176 KC 12x flat as a pancake. same PLH as the 177 dx. two years worth of age on it. go to roc.
171 dx rancho poppy top from an early/mid 2012 run slighty seasoned. more touch shots and approaches
176 star san marino. because i can!
GL fuse of some sort to be purchased later.

169 GL river
177GL river
exact same dome, exact same plh. havent thrown the lighter enough to judge. but the 177 can take some heat and really fills all the understable duties past midrange distances and on lower lines. hoping the 169 breaks in to flippier.
175 C and S FD. the S has a years worth of age on it. the C is just a tad more HSS/LSS

172 P-PD Flat.worn in. going right/straight
171 S-PD going left/flex shots
170 cfr C-PD going left harder/wind
171 star firebird. Iowa gets windy.
170 *DS destroyer flat really overstable
find myself some nice pro destroyers and maybe a domey star. I've really been missing the Pro Destroyer i lost. of all the warp speeders i've tried its the most comfortable.
172 star Xcal. Did i mention it gets windy?

i think 2013 is gonna be a good year for my game. i feel like ive gotten a lot better since this time last year and i think i've figured out most of my timing. I just have to put it to work every shot and focus. primary goal: putting! obviously. doesn't meant i can't improve my distance though! i broke 350 this year and think 400 on command is an attainable goal for 2013. on a side note, i really need some good shoes! wore holes in my Sambas this year....

Traded a brand new star boss for a 168 echo star destroyer! Nice and domey.

I'm surprised you haven't put a PD2 in the bag to replace the Xcal. Great in C and S for stability purposes. Sounds like you might have a really nice overstable slot filled by that Destroyer. Maybe go with same mold but different stabilities?

Latest posts