• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Up shots help

kscustom

I have been loosing my mind. With up shots I seem to always release early resulting in a way short and left throw. Is there anything I can do to force ably correct this? Weather I throw a challenger or roc or buzz it doesn't seem to make much difference in disc selection it seems to be form, all that said I do throw my challengers the best but when I am out of that range I'm killing my own scores.

Practice. Then practice some more.

You have evidently trained yourself to mess up. You need to reprogram yourself.

The fastest practice is playing catch. If you can hit a shot 20 times in a row in practice then there is no reason you can't hit it in a round when it counts.

I lost my favorite Buzzz and was messing up the shots with its replacements. It pissed me off because this was a shot I had dialed in with the old disc. It was in my head. I lacked confidence and that was all it took. So I went to a hole where my old Buzzz was the perfect disc and played the hole over and over and over. I used a stack of Buzzz's and kept at it for 2 hours. I didn't get my beloved disc back but I got the shot back. I played a tournament yesterday and my Buzzz shots were on the money. So was my payout.

Mark gives good advice. I had some issues recently and just went out with a dozen of the putters I throw and stepped out to 80'. From there I threw anhyzers, straight shots and hyzers, aiming to get them as close as possible to the pin, not to make them. I then picked then up and threw them all again from 100', then 120', then 140', then 160' etc. This was hugely helpful and my upshots have been the best part of my game lately.

Thanks for responding Whiz.

For a while, I thought I might have killed the topic.

Kscustom said:
I have been loosing my mind. With up shots I seem to always release early resulting in a way short and left throw. Is there anything I can do to force ably correct this? Weather I throw a challenger or roc or buzz it doesn't seem to make much difference in disc selection it seems to be form, all that said I do throw my challengers the best but when I am out of that range I'm killing my own scores.

Early release might mean that you're not following through enough, is your motion jerky or smooth? I think it's easy to forget to fully follow through on shorter, lower power shots.

I think early release can also result from a torso rotation that is too quick. Try throwing a few upshots with your right shoulder pointed toward the basket and throw the disc WITH YOUR SHOULDER STILL POINTED AT THE BASKET. Without the torso rotation you will probably have a hard time throwing an upshot very far this way, but it may help to improve your timing so that you don't get that early release. You can of course reintroduce the torso rotation after nailing down the timing.

Thanks for the inputs I have been messing around with different things and I have been having success almost straddleing and square ing way up to the basket. But it may be follow through because by doing this I have to follow through to throw it far enough on longer shots.

Follow thorugh is the key. Without one a perfect execution up to that point will make a jerky motion and bye bye to consistency. If you don't already you should incorporate a follow through step that mirrors the x step into your follow through in powerful approaches and with lower powered shots at least getting the rear leg moving forward a bit as the arm is going to the max point of follow through. Only shorter approaches that can be done from a stand still should be allowed to leave the rear leg on the ground after the follow through has finished.

This is a very basic video about the different shot types in disc golf and one of the first videos I watched when starting to play. Mark Ellis is the one throwing here and I try to mirror my own upshots after his technique. Notice how fluid and controlled his entire throw is. Good smooth tempo and smooth follow through and release.

http://youtu.be/pEwqQ21pe4U?t=7m19s