• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Uphill shots

Does anybody consider disc weight when throwing uphill? I bag a 150 Champ Leo I only use for one hole that is uphill on my local course.

Yes, I use a 155 Diamond for my uphill shots. Works great, feels like I'm using less effort. Probably mostly psychological, but hey, if it works it works.

if you have a blizzard disc, it is not a bad idea to take a lighter weight and thow uphill. but that depends on distance. if you are talking 300-500 feet then blizzard would be good. but height equals more power.

I've been playing for 2 months. With a 2 finger grip I can already drive farther than most of the pro's but I have trouble with uphill shots (also hammers) where you really need to get it "straight up, to glide down" especially over huge trees. Started to take on randoms this week and they told me my problem was my lack of a lightweight driver because all I had was a *orc and *destroyer. Upon getting a 130 something (there's no weight inked....) blizzard destroyer I can achieve these shots with relative ease and since I'm not using 100% power to get every bit of height/distance I put a few more fingers around the brim and have much more control.

Didn't really need to get used to a new disc either as I've gone through a few destroyers and know like their nature. Except the pro ones... Those are too under stable and suck for beginners... only good for rollers after you hit literally one tree.

...I wish I did my research and learned that buying "pro" discs wan't necessarily better than other plastics. The cheaper price confused me as well but I thought I just got lucky :wall::wall::wall::wall:

2 months in throwing further than pros? We need a video!

I'll get on that tomorrow if I have time! I get into the trees/dog-leg at I5 consistently. I rarely see the better (some who looked pretty damn official) players do this at the 2 tournaments I've watched from start to finish at DeLa.

Admittedly I played ultimate for years and have a knack for skipping stones, popping ollies, or throwing pitches. Just about anything that requires using you're body as a torque box I've done at some point in my life :hfive:

I usually throw a putter or US mid on uphill shots. Putters seem to work well for bc you need that extra height to get distance out of them anyways so they just naturally do their thing on uphill shots... For taller hills, a super flippy mid thrown on hyzer is my go to shot.

I've been playing for 2 months. With a 2 finger grip I can already drive farther than most of the pro's but I have trouble with uphill shots (also hammers) where you really need to get it "straight up, to glide down" especially over huge trees.

We may be talking about local course "pros" here and not the real pro's. Lol, no offense but I doubt you throw 600+ feet after two months.

Cause you are throwing higher throw something more understable.

This is the answer most of the time. Obviously there are situations or lines that make that not as good of an idea, but in general, a less overstable disc will get you more net D on uphill throws

You're probably right about them just being locals. I know it sounds ridiculous
but I said 500 when the ground is warm and I promise.

Video to critique at some point.

I need help on getting it over trees on a long hyzer routes still.

If it's an open shot and fairly steep, I get the best results throwing a tomahawk with my champion Beast. Because it's an uphill shot, I remember to aim to the left of my target as it will not have as much chance to fade back left to center at the end of the shot, as opposed to a flat tomahawk. I'm getting them around 215' at this point in time.

If it's a tight wooded hole that is uphill, I'll use an understable fairway like my Champ Leopard or Gold Line River, with varying releases, depending on the lines available to me on any given shot.