• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

US OPEN 2008 WFDF World Championship

roadkill1

Double Eagle Member
We are approaching mid week of the WFDF overall championship here in my hometown in Lancaster, PA.

And while I realize this is a disc golf site and most here don't care much about field events I thought I'd give an update.

Day 1:

Accuracy

Jeff Kennedy wins accuracy (16 in finals)

( I score a respectable 14 1st round blow it with a 10 the second round and narrowly miss finals and end up around 8th place)

Self Caught flight

Jack Cooksey wins throws a 12.90 MTA and like 64m TRC to reach finals and beats Sam Kaye (who had an amazing 13.06 MTA in prelims), Rick Lebow, Harvey Brandt and Mark Horn in finals

(I'm very happy with my 8.29 MTA and 29m TRC)

Day 2

Not sure of 1st round results of Discathon only that I'm DQ'd cause I put two discs out of bounds (2nd on the final test of the course) so I couldn't finish (no marker disc equals elimination)

Distance

Unfortunately Sam Kaye had a family emergency and Jack Cooksey drove Sam home to VA so these two were unable to compete today. Jack was the odds on favorite to win distance and Sam would likely have been second.

Well I am pleased to say hometown local and my friend Mark Spang won distance beating Dan Berman, Harvey Brandt, Andi Lehman and Rick Lebow.
I believe his distance was 139 m. While that's only about 465' or so there was very little wind and he did beat some very accomplished competitors. I believe all four are current or former world record holders.

(I threw 116m which I was actually pleased with considering I'm a weenie arm and I'm very out of shape and way out of practice.

Golf

Mark, in addition to his distance win, shot the hot first round with a 53 on the 6300' par 58 layout. (I'm 6 strokes off the lead and in about 8th place, a little disappointing but there's two more rounds to right the ship)

forgive my blatant ignorance, but what kind of discs do you use for those field events?

good luck in the last 2 rounds of the tourney...plenty of time to make up those strokes and then some. Go get 'em 8)

GorillaTactics said:
forgive my blatant ignorance, but what kind of discs do you use for those field events?
8)

Accuracy:
You can use any sort of Lid basicly. Ultrastars and other Ultimate lids are popular. But you can also use Zephyrs up to a max weight of 162 grams. Zephyrs are the only golf mold allowed but as I said they have to light. (It's hard to find them between 150 and 170.)
In case you're not familiar, there are 7 throwing stations. Three straight away at 13.5m, 22.5m and 31.5m. Two from the right side (13.5, 22.5m) and two from the left side (same distances). The side stations are at a 45 degree angle from the target. Target is 1.5m by 1.5m and 1meter off the ground. Four shots at each station. Perfect score would be 28.

MTA (timed) and TRC (distance measured)

Most use fastbacks, a few use premium weighted(110-140g) large diameter golf disc (Condor, Lynx)

Discathon
Same choices as in accuracy, lids or light Zephyrs.
Distance
Golf discs

MTA (timed) and TRC (distance measured)

I may be sorely mistaken about this, but you have to throw and then also catch the disc in these 2 events right?

Yes.

In both you throw your disc into the wind and have to catch it with one hand before it hits the ground.

In MTA (Maximum Time Aloft) you throw from anywhere you want. Three judges start their stopwatches at the time of release and stop their clock at the first point of contact in the catch attempt. (I had two catches that I tipped and caught that were counted but the time stopped at the tip not the catch.) If you drop you get 0.00.

In TRC (Throw Run Catch) you throw from a designated circle and catch it wherever it comes down. The distance is measured with a laser from the circle to the point of the catch.

To determine your total Self Caught Flight score you multiply your MTA time by 5.5 and add it to your distance (in meters) to get your score.
IE. 10.0 second MTA x 5.5 = 55.5 + 40m TRC equals a SCF score of 95.5

SCF is a great event to watch as well as compete in. There are a lot of factors in play. You must be able to develop a good technique that's effective with the current wind conditions. The angle of release, speed of release, speed of the wind, the steepness of pitch to throw are all factors of the throw.

Then there's the ability to read what's happening to your disc while in flight and determine where your disc will come down. You may need to sprint to get there in time so it's important to figure out which direction to run. And of course catching a falling disc (usually while running) with one hand is a skill in it's self. No catch means a goose egg on your scorecard. There's nothing like making a great throw like a 10 second MTA or a 45m TRC only to drop it and have it not count.

Damn, the TRC seems like quite a workout. Almost makes me want to go out to a field with a putter, put some air under it and see what I can do. I could probably use the exercise. :p

Yes MTA can be a workout also.

They generally don't come back to where you threw them from and if they do they most likely don't yield good times. Sam's 13.06 MTA was caught about 50m from where he threw it. Jack had an MTA that was actually farther away than any of his TRC throws.

Your putter probably won't work too well unless it is 150 class or premi weighted. Heavier stuff comes down too quick. It would work with 170 gram stuff only if you can run the 50m in less than 6 seconds, and if that were the case you're in the wrong sport.

roadkill said:
Yes MTA can be a workout also.

They generally don't come back to where you threw them from and if they do they most likely don't yield good times. Sam's 13.06 MTA was caught about 50m from where he threw it. Jack had an MTA that was actually farther away than any of his TRC throws.

Your putter probably won't work too well unless it is 150 class or premi weighted. Heavier stuff comes down too quick. It would work with 170 gram stuff only if you can run the 50m in less than 6 seconds, and if that were the case you're in the wrong sport.

Yeah, I realized that. I did some field practice today and realized I would have no shot at coming close to my putters. Looks like I need to get a lid. :p

Cool, thanks for the info. Sounds pretty sweet.

How did you do on the 2nd half of the golf rounds?

GorillaTactics said:
How did you do on the 2nd half of the golf rounds?

Not too well.
I was in a great deal of pain this week. I hurt my knee and my plantar faschitis (achilles tendonitis) was causing pain in both heels and ankles. I wound up shooting 59 59 62. The last round I had a birdie attempt hit the basket and then roll down a hill and OB, wound up with a 5, after that I just wanted the round to end.
My local homeboys did well finishing first, second, third in golf so I was very happy for them.

Sorry to hear that, I dealt with plantar fascitis for a while and it's no fun. As for the round, sometimes all you can do is laugh about the roll aways....

One thing to try that helped me a ton was some aftermarket insoles with more arch support (superfeet work great but conform'ables and some others are fine too). Mine was pretty bad but the insoles helped immediately because it keeps your foot in a more natural, unweighted position, especially when you're running around and planting, and it reduces stress on all parts of your foot, even your back and legs. Give them a shot, they're like 30 bucks at any decent store that sells running/hiking equipment or ski boots.

GorillaTactics said:
One thing to try that helped me a ton was some aftermarket insoles with more arch support (superfeet work great but conform'ables and some others are fine too). Mine was pretty bad but the insoles helped immediately because it keeps your foot in a more natural, unweighted position, especially when you're running around and planting, and it reduces stress on all parts of your foot, even your back and legs. Give them a shot, they're like 30 bucks at any decent store that sells running/hiking equipment or ski boots.

I've had plantar faschitis for over 20 yrs. ESWT-electroshockwave therapy appears to be the only long term cure. Last I checked it was close to $3000 to get both heels done and most insurances don't cover.

I've been using insoles for all my shoes for the better part of 15 yrs. For my 41st birthday last month my mom bought me a pair of $135 Brooks walking shoes designed for pronators like me. In addittion to that she bought me $65 insoles with special arches.
Despite all the special footwear and precautions I still wound up hurting myself on several levels. The main thing is I was physically inactive for 9 months driving truck, got overweight and out of shape. Then on the first day of competition I found myself sprinting and diving. If that ain't a recipe for pain I'm not sure what is.

Results from 2008 US OPEN/ WFDF World Championships

2008 Overall World Champs

Open- Harvey Brandt
Women- Beth Varish
Masters- Steve Maerz (yours truly)
Grandmaster- Rick Lebeau
Senior Grandmaster- Merril Detweiler
Legends- Jack Roddick
Grandmaster Women- Mary Grace
Senior Grandmaster Women- Susie Horn

I don't feel like I deserve to be among the other World Champions listed above and had Jack Cooksey been able to compete all week he would've surely cleaned my clock. However stuff happens so I think I'll just keep my Ist place Masters overall trophy right here in Lancaster, Pa. After all Jack's trophy case is probably already full anyway. :roll:

Latest posts