• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC + Handicap?

Fritz

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Discuss...
I heard they are doing a handicap system for USDGC and opening it to everyone for 2011?
Thoughts?

I'd love to see the PDGA adopt something like a GIN like Ball Golf does.

It's already available at Disc Golf United. http://www.discgolfunited.com/ Both DGU handicaps and PDGA ratings are global services based on the same calculation process. DGU is more like ball golf since you can enter all of your rounds rather than just tournament rounds like PDGA ratings.

Chuck Kennedy said:
It's already available at Disc Golf United. http://www.discgolfunited.com/ Both DGU handicaps and PDGA ratings are global services based on the same calculation process. DGU is more like ball golf since you can enter all of your rounds rather than just tournament rounds like PDGA ratings.

/facepalm I always forget about DGU.

I thought there was no USDGC this year. What did I miss?

Jimmy said:
I thought there was no USDGC this year. What did I miss?

A lot of tears about the format change for the odd numbered years.

Whoever wins this years USDGC will undoubtedly be the least recognized and respected to date. ESPECIALLY if he/she won through the use of their handicap haha.

Just like some people discredit Will's win in 2010 ( I don't, I think it was the hardest usdgc), people will realllllly discredit the win this year.

Trey133 said:
Just like some people discredit Will's win in 2010 ( I don't, I think it was the hardest usdgc), people will realllllly discredit the win this year.

People are discrediting Will? That's insane. The one year they get the rope rule right and there's doubt? Unreal.

It shouldn't be called USDGC. Very disrespectful to the past champions. I dont understand why they want to mess with their brand, and not create another separate brand that could be just as successful.

I think opening this up to other players will be good for the game, and good for those who attend.

His idea that Climo will be walking up 18 with Sara Stanhope and a 850 rated golfer is just silly. The only way Climo or any of the big dogs will be there is if Innova pays them. Otherwise keep your player pack and trophy.

Yeah, never understood all the hate for Will. He played solid, he played smart, he managed the course and won the tournament. Great play if you ask me.

Fritz said:
Yeah, never understood all the hate for Will. He played solid, he played smart, he managed the course and won the tournament. Great play if you ask me.
agreed here, it's mainly pros who are griping because the course/re-tee rule ate them up, if you are friends with alot of pros on FB then you probly had a wall full of whiny posts about the rule during the entire tourney :lol: ......i remember Avery writing an essay sized post about how it was a mockery of the sport etc.

It was pretty boring watching USDGCs this year b/c the more conservative player does better in the format but that doesn't diminish Will's win. He played good, smart golf and took only the risks that he needed to (like he layed up on 17, it's not sexy to lay up on 17) and beat the best out there.

Not having played there i can't tell if it was the hardest USDGC ever but the rules made it hard. And for a part of the players unfair i'm sure. That does not take anything away from Will. He kept a cool head and played smart despite hot competition from Nikko. That deserves the appreciation of a champ. The format not so much. IMO at all. I don't want to compete in an event like that if the OB is so tight. On a more course it would be ok to try the rules. I think it's a travesty to combine a tight course and those rules. That's almost jump putt edition. Until that gets forbidden in the rules :-/

In my opinion, this was the hardest USDGC yet. The mental strain was incredible. Every throw was an opportunity to add two strokes to your score. There was no relaxing on the course.

As far as Will is concerned, he played amazing. His scores would have put him in the mix in past years. He absolutely deserved to win.

It is not true that the course rewarded more conservative players. You have to be aggressive to score on Winthrop Gold. Players who were aggressive and failed to execute were penalized. Players who were aggressive and performed were rewarded. Will, Nikko, Brinster, Jussi and Ulibarri are all aggressive players. I watched Uli and Brinster park hole 10 for eagle the final round. That's a very aggressive shot. Jussi drove at 17 every round. To say that the course rewarded conservative players is wrong. It is much more accurate to say that it penalized bad shots.

Maybe it was more boring, but I didn't notice. I witnessed many incredible throws and putts. I think the o.b. rule made you have to play better.

The new USDGC will be interesting and I hope it is a success for everyone involved. It's just unfortunate that they are diluting the USDGC brand. Since I started playing, my ultimate goal every year has been to go to USDGC. This new format has dampened my enthusiasm for the tournament.

arhunt said:
It is not true that the course rewarded more conservative players. You have to be aggressive to score on Winthrop Gold. Players who were aggressive and failed to execute were penalized. Players who were aggressive and performed were rewarded. Will, Nikko, Brinster, Jussi and Ulibarri are all aggressive players. I watched Uli and Brinster park hole 10 for eagle the final round. That's a very aggressive shot. Jussi drove at 17 every round. To say that the course rewarded conservative players is wrong. It is much more accurate to say that it penalized bad shots.

Absolutely. Just because Will layed up on 17 doesn't mean he played conservative on the whole course. He has a sidearm so I was a little baffled, the green was very friendly this year, easiest it's every been IMO. However, he made his gameplan way before the tournament, and kudos to him for sticking to it.

There were 2 spots the ropes should have been relaxed (18 and 10's green), other than that, this course and rule were everything they should be from here on out. Accuracy and fearlessness are rewarded, not to mention having to keep it up mentally for 4+ hours.

Discwrangler said:
not to mention having to keep it up mentally for 4+ hours.

I thought they said to contact your doctor if that happens. :?

Cool ^^Let's all sandbag down to a 550 rating this summer and then go own the USDGC based on our handicap.

Seriously though, this is probably the worst idea ever.

I'm not a member yet so i could theoretically shoot the worst rating in history then try to get in... Can i get a negative rating?

Attempting to sandbag your handicap is nothing new. It's been going on as long as handicaps have been around.

Can't sandbag. You have to have a rating of at least 850 before trying to qualify and your highest rating since Dec 2010 will be used for the event if you do qualify and enter.

Latest posts