• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USWDGC 2022

I still think the reality is when one is nervous or stressed, the body's muscles physically react, and do not respond as they normally do. So something that relies so much on muscle memory, like putting, gets fouled up because you think you are doing the same thing, but the results are different.

Once you understand the concept that nerves actually help you game and are to be welcomed, and that you WANT to be nervous, and that it's actually akin to a PED, who knows what you're capable of.

All the greats know and understood this. Many of them keep it a secret.

When Elver shows it's teeth it bites hard. It's a very technically demanding course, and if your drives are off it puts *a lot* of pressure on your putting...so it was sort of a perfect storm. I can shoot under 50 there long to blue on a perfect day, but way more often I'm close to 60 because of the reasons above. And that's not even at a major, just casual rounds.

If you're not on your game there, it's going to be a long and painful round.

With 94% fairways hit, round 4 at Elver was Salonen's best day of driving. It's the 33% C1X and four 3-putts that did her in despite her pristine work off of the tee.

Once you understand the concept that nerves actually help you game and are to be welcomed, and that you WANT to be nervous, and that it's actually akin to a PED, who knows what you're capable of.

All the greats know and understood this. Many of them keep it a secret.

True, but harnessing the power of nerves, is a skill. Needing to be honed and practiced. Elite level athletes have an innate ability to make use of this, IMO. Much like their different athletic ability. Not to say players with lesser ability cannot succeed, but it generally takes more work and practice.

With 94% fairways hit, round 4 at Elver was Salonen's best day of driving. It's the 33% C1X and four 3-putts that did her in despite her pristine work off of the tee.

I've seen Eveliina Salonen play in person and watched videos of her.....she just seems to not have her putting together for whatever reason. Maybe she's gone for "the show and not the dough" as they call it in ball golf. Tee shots seems to be where she has focused her work/practice/skill. And worse is that she doesn't seem to be able to correct her putts during a round. Everything is hyzered to the basket and usually on a big hyzer to the left side of the basket.

Maybe it is as one of the announcers on Jomez said....it's the humidity/heat that she's not used to and it makes her hand sweat causing the disc to slip. That would be more noticeable on putts than on tee shots or approaches. Instead of a WhaleSac, maybe she needs to start using chalk.

Exactly. They all know this, and Paul does too. All the ball golf greats know this as well. Jack Nicklaus was once quoted that the biggest decline in his game as he got older had little to do with his physical abilities and the fact that he stopped getting nervous before rounds.

A LOT of ball golf greats have said the same thing, that in their 40s and 50s they could still hit the ball a long way and still had the tools physically to beat the brakes off their younger selves, but despite the maturity and knowledge that comes with age that should be a huge advantage, it was offset due to the fact that they stopped getting nervous before rounds.

Exactly. They all know this, and Paul does too. All the ball golf greats know this as well. Jack Nicklaus was once quoted that the biggest decline in his game as he got older had little to do with his physical abilities and the fact that he stopped getting nervous before rounds.

A LOT of ball golf greats have said the same thing, that in their 40s and 50s they could still hit the ball a long way and still had the tools physically to beat the brakes off their younger selves, but despite the maturity and knowledge that comes with age that should be a huge advantage, it was offset due to the fact that they stopped getting nervous before rounds.

Yep. Being little bit of nervous before your task makes you perform better. Once I read an article about one of the best neurosurgeons of all time (Juha Hernesniemi - google it) and he said that he was still a bit nervous before every case no matter how many times (thousands maybe) he had done the exactly same operation previously.

Just a thought, but maybe if you're not nervous at all, it means that you don't care the result. Perhaps this could be translated to any aspect of ones life.

Yep. Being little bit of nervous before your task makes you perform better. Once I read an article about one of the best neurosurgeons of all time (Juha Hernesniemi - google it) and he said that he was still a bit nervous before every case no matter how many times (thousands maybe) he had done the exactly same operation previously.

Just a thought, but maybe if you're not nervous at all, it means that you don't care the result. Perhaps this could be translated to any aspect of ones life.

I think this varies greatly from person to person.

I think some people get focused, rather than nervous. That doesn't mean they're nonchalant, or don't care. Others can't seem to deal with the butterflies in their stomach. And as you said, being a little bit nervous does seem to help some people. We're all human and there's some basic psychology that applies to these situations, but we're all wired a little bit differently.

yah this dude wrote a whole book on it called "flow" by mihaly csikszentmihalyi

300px-Challenge_vs_skill.svg.png

or else the yerkes dodson law has some quick graphs to reference from a slightly different angle but same outcome

Illustration-of-Yerkes-Dodson-law-1.png

I think some people get focused, rather than nervous. .

It's not that some people magically get focused, rather than nervous. Everyone gets nervous. It's that some people, from either stumbling upon it themselves (or more likely they were taught) and they figured out that getting nervous is a good thing, and to be welcomed, and that channeling those nerves into play is how champions think.

It's a difficult concept to understand at first, but once you get it, it's like a light bulb goes off, and then you can see how great athletes perform under pressure. They want that pressure, they welcome it.

This idea is one of the hallmark concepts in the book "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect".

I had a professor who taught me something similar and it still holds true to this day.

If I was nervous before a big test, I knew I would do well, because it meant that I cared and was fully functioning.

If I wasn't nervous, I knew I wouldn't do as well, since it probably meant that I didn't care as much.

Definitely crosses over into athletic endeavors.

It's not that some people magically get focused, rather than nervous. Everyone gets nervous. It's that some people, from either stumbling upon it themselves (or more likely they were taught) and they figured out that getting nervous is a good thing, and to be welcomed, and that channeling those nerves into play is how champions think.

It's a difficult concept to understand at first, but once you get it, it's like a light bulb goes off, and then you can see how great athletes perform under pressure. They want that pressure, they welcome it.

This idea is one of the hallmark concepts in the book "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect".

I'm not trying to put you on the spot, but how do you find this translates into your game? Are you able to transcend, or do you get caught up like most mortals. Understanding is one thing, putting into practice is where the rubber hits the road, so to speak.

The tournament ended on Sunday July 3rd. Today is Thursday July 7th, and I pinged the PDGA to see on what day the payout checks had been mailed.

It turns out I had been optimistic in assuming the past tense in that sentence. The reply I got was that they were planning to put the checks into the mail NEXT TUESDAY, the 12th of July.

If I cash at a B- or C-tier, the TD usually has the payout ready to go to hand to me before I even drive home. This is terrible.

The tournament ended on Sunday July 3rd. Today is Thursday July 7th, and I pinged the PDGA to see on what day the payout checks had been mailed.

It turns out I had been optimistic in assuming the past tense in that sentence. The reply I got was that they were planning to put the checks into the mail NEXT TUESDAY, the 12th of July.

If I cash at a B- or C-tier, the TD usually has the payout ready to go to hand to me before I even drive home. This is terrible.

People still cut checks for payout? I don't remember the last time I got payout via anything other than paypal.

People still cut checks for payout? I don't remember the last time I got payout via anything other than paypal.

I don't want to get taxed twice, once when the PDGA sends a 1099-MISC to the IRS, and then again when PayPal sends a 1099-MISC to the IRS, both for the exact same transaction. (Edit: besides, if I recall correctly the PDGA told me that PayPal would be G&S, and no, I do not want to pay several percent of my payout to a billionaire as a cost of doing business.)

I'm not trying to put you on the spot, but how do you find this translates into your game? Are you able to transcend, or do you get caught up like most mortals. Understanding is one thing, putting into practice is where the rubber hits the road, so to speak.

I play with Nick. He is a VERY good putter and solid player. He is a perennial top finisher in a couple to several putting leagues each winter, as well.

At the end of the day, I am merely n=1, so my opinions and experiences are anecdotal at best. But what I am describing above isn't anything I figured out, it's all hallmark concepts taken from "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect". I also follow ball golf, and that book and the concepts in it are pretty much universally accepted as gospel to most of the touring players worldwide.

It's gained a bit of a following in the disc golf world as well and I have heard it referenced many times. At the end of the day, it's basic sports psychology 101. Did you check out the podcast that was linked above? Paul McBeth in a few sentences summarized everything I have been talking about here to the point I'm pretty convinced his strategy has been pulled from that book as well, there's no way he hasn't either read it or had a professional teach him who read it themselves.

There's just too many people who either play or follow sports that swear by it for me to dismiss the ideas as placebo. I'm pretty convinced it's gospel in what it preaches and I think it's beneficial to anyone who plays any sport as the foundational concepts behind the mental game of sport.

Does it work? I'll can say this with 100% certainty, in that the game is way more fun and enjoyable if you practice what he preaches, and with that in mind, it's win win no matter what.

At the end of the day, I am merely n=1, so my opinions and experiences are anecdotal at best. But what I am describing above isn't anything I figured out, it's all hallmark concepts taken from "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect". I also follow ball golf, and that book and the concepts in it are pretty much universally accepted as gospel to most of the touring players worldwide.

It's gained a bit of a following in the disc golf world as well and I have heard it referenced many times. At the end of the day, it's basic sports psychology 101. Did you check out the podcast that was linked above? Paul McBeth in a few sentences summarized everything I have been talking about here to the point I'm pretty convinced his strategy has been pulled from that book as well, there's no way he hasn't either read it or had a professional teach him who read it themselves.

There's just too many people who either play or follow sports that swear by it for me to dismiss the ideas as placebo. I'm pretty convinced it's gospel in what it preaches and I think it's beneficial to anyone who plays any sport as the foundational concepts behind the mental game of sport.

Does it work? I'll can say this with 100% certainty, in that the game is way more fun and enjoyable if you practice what he preaches, and with that in mind, it's win win no matter what.

Gotcha. I actually posted that link so I did listen to it. I've heard McBeth talk about this before how he harnesses his nerves.

You still haven't explained if and how it has helped your game or if you have mastered it like McBeth, but I am assuming not since McBeth is a beast, the best in the game when the game is on the line.

I just had my copy of the book delivered so I'll give it a read.