• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"very" portable basked recommendations

Peter S

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I own a M14 Practice now.
I will be going on vacation and would like to bring a travel basket with me. My M14, although portable is still just too large when considering packing for a road trip with my wife and our dog in a Toyota Rav4. Coolers & dog is much of the back seat or same area if we fold down rear seats. A few small suite cases, 2 or 3 large d/golf bags plus the M14 & we are stacked to the roof. Need something smaller for long road trips.

I am considering to following.

The DISCatcher Traveler

The DGA Mach Lite

DISCatcher Basket -- SkillShot

Any recommendations or coments would help.

The Mach lite is the closest to a real basket while still being really portable. The skill shot and traveler are lighter and fold up slightly smaller, but they're not that different for car packing purposes. We take two Mach lites on a lot of our trips in a similar sized vehicle (CRV).

The Mach Lite will be the closest to feeling like a real basket but will take up more room. The Traveler is a decent catching basket, lightest of all, and collapses into the smallest area. I was never a fan of SkillShots.

As much as I used to think I would spend my money on the Mach Lite, the Traveler would get my money.

For what its worth. I like my skillshot. I had what you did and moved to an apartment and traded for it. it's a bit wider than a folding chair and a bit short.

Not a fan of the SkillShot either, and your question has pretty much been answered. I vote Mach Lite though it is not the most portable or smallest (not as big as your M14 though). Here's my Mach Lite with a 90 Minute for scale (no banana for the Redditors reading).

****ty paint job free of charge (wasn't me!):
CAd3rnR.jpg

I know that people don't like the Skillshot much but I wanted to throw this out there. I feel that practicing putting on a Skillshot helps you when you play "regular" baskets. The vertical chain area feels smaller than most baskets. When I go from a Skillshot to a course with Machs the catching area looks huge.

Since OP is using it for actual temp holes then it's a judgment call based on what you want to use it for most.

I did modify my Mach Lite and tuck the chains in. Makes the target smaller and catching surface larger (more chains in the same space). There's a good description and pictures for anyone that cares to check it out or do it for themselves:

DGA Mach Lite Modification.

I've owned all four mentioned, and I would go with the Traveler.

Last edited:
Thanks to the votes so far. Scecial thanks to GripEnemy for the picture as well. Looks like about 15 beers tall. Thanks for the scale reference. Looks like it can go on the bottom of everthing taking up virtually no extra space. Do others put them on the bottom of the pile? Do I risk bending stuff if I put luggage on top?

Thanks all

Thanks to the votes so far. Scecial thanks to GripEnemy for the picture as well. Looks like about 15 beers tall. Thanks for the scale reference. Looks like it can go on the bottom of everthing taking up virtually no extra space. Do others put them on the bottom of the pile? Do I risk bending stuff if I put luggage on top?

Thanks all

It's a little tough to pack on top of just because it ends up making the pile wobbly, but when it's folded up it doesn't seem to have any issues with having weight on top of it.

There's always the risk of bending stuff or tearing the fabric on any of them. I never liked moving my Mach lite around and setting it up, and if you lose one of the pins, you are screwed. The Traveler is so much lighter and easier to setup and catches better, I would just throw it on top the luggage and move it when needed.

There's always the risk of bending stuff or tearing the fabric on any of them. I never liked moving my Mach lite around and setting it up, and if you lose one of the pins, you are screwed. The Traveler is so much lighter and easier to setup and catches better, I would just throw it on top the luggage and move it when needed.

nice.:thmbup:

The pins are easy to replace, there are pins that fit fine at Home Depot for a couple bucks. I haven't lost them from either of mine, but I helped a friend find a replacement for a lost pin on his.

Who wants to go to Home Depot on vacation? I tried sticking a pencil and pen in there for the meantime, but it just crushed them in half right away.

Who wants to go to Home Depot on vacation? I tried sticking a pencil and pen in there for the meantime, but it just crushed them in half right away.

Fair enough, I just haven't run into that personally. We've used our two a ton over the last few years and never lost a pin.

A steel dowel is a quick easy replacement, and allows to not be screwed. I voted Mach Light with chains mod and a pool noodle around the pole. :thmbup:

A steel dowel is a quick easy replacement, and allows to not be screwed. I voted Mach Light with chains mod and a pool noodle around the pole. :thmbup:
Yeah that sounds ultra portable. :rolleyes:

I've got a Mach Lite and modded the chains (it doesn't impair the folding at all). Sets up in less than a minute, catches fine, fits in my trunk, and still weighs less than my bowling gear, if I want to walk out to the HS practice fields with it.