• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm super psyched because it is now Soft season! :hfive: Time to stock up on my soft putters!

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/x-link-soft.html

1348688536.jpg

Updated review on Vibram line up

I recently realized some OAT had found it's way into my throw, so last weekend I put in a bunch of work with the Ibex and soft Ridge (field work and rounds with only those two discs). I think I worked the OAT out. Just wanted to say again how great of a teaching tool these two discs are. The soft x-link really shows mechanical errors and the Ibex needs good form to perform.*

Anyways, after this week of playing with no OAT (I think/hope), I wanted to make some more comments on the Vibram lineup.

Ascent- Still loving this disc. Now that my OAT is dealt with it's a straight flyer with practically no turn, and a quick sharp fade. Flies fast and accurate, finishes fast and accurate.

Trak- My new go to driver. With my OAT issues it seemed very Leopard like. Now though, I've changed my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it still is a great turnover driver and holds an anhyzer line well. But now it feels like a longer Gazelle. Extremely workable, easy to throw straight. A small turn into a small fade.

Obex- I was right in my initial assessment, I just needed some more time with this disc. It handles power well and has a great strong fade, more of smooth left turn than a hook too. An amazing flick/thumber roller disc, making this a great recovery disc. It doesn't power down too well, but the Ibex does, so no worries. I got my first Vibram ace with this disc on a ~250' hole where the basket is hidden behind a huge pine tree on the left of the fairway.

Ibex- Best midrange I've ever thrown. When you have form issues it will let you know, but when thrown smoothly with decent or better technique it is extremely workable. It is still hitting and holding any line I put it on. And it's amazing off the tee. To bring back the Gazelle comparison (one of my favorite Innova molds), the Ibex feels extremely similar off the tee.

VP- I think my last post shows my love for this disc. Very predictable, great in the wind, great for approaches and upshots, and my favorite putter I've ever thrown off a tee. I could go on for days about this disc, but I'll spare you and just say this is my favorite Vibram mold.

Ridge- In the xlink soft, this disc is a straight flyer that sits down and sticks. Perfect disc for upshots when you want the disc to stick on a hill or when there's danger behind the basket. I like it's line off the tee but the soft just feels weird driving and it seems like I struggle to get a consistent release. Definitely going to pick up a firm Ridge.

Summit- Great for anny putts and approaches. It is also good for hitting straight, narrow gaps, since it powers down so well. I can hyzer-flip it off the tee for a nice straight line but with the way my courses are laid out I just always tee off with my VP at putter driving distance (my hyzer flips are a little inconsistent).

Sole- My sole was delivered to me with a big sunken spot on one side of the disc. A few rounds of the microwave trick have improved it a little but after a round the spot always comes back. The flight characteristics seem to be what I expected though and it does it's job in the circle. It's medium and I like a stiffer putter anyways, so I'll just pick up a firm one anyways.

All in all, I love the Vibram line up, I carry a whole Vibram bag, and I made a deal to get one of the under stable drivers (which should suit my arm speed well) to round out my bag. Loving my rubber discs!

1. Our original flight rating system had two speed numbers. The top speed number is the ideal launch speed, in mph. The bottom speed number was a glide factor. The idea was to multiply the glide factor times the launch speed to get an expected max distance of the disc. (although max distance is tough to quantify! ;-)

2. When the Obex was released, we did a comprehensive review of the flight guide and tweaked some of the numbers so that the numbers were properly relative to each other.

Thanks for the clarification!

Threw Chris's protos a couple times the other night.

First impression is they feel great in the hand. The rubber was super grippy and just felt great. He had 2 different discs with him. A red and a grey proto. The red was pretty flippy and even on a hyzer release it flipped up and turned over

The grey was a different story. On a small hyzer, it flipped up and tracked right (rhbh) before a small fade kicked in.

Yeah I have a pair of almost-max-weight X-link Firm Obexes that are really a nice stability. Really useful when you just need a touch more stability than an Ibex.

Vibram vp's are $$$ when u want them to just stick and not roll.

I play on a very hilly course and they have been helping a lot.

Vibram vp's are $$$ when u want them to just stick and not roll.

I play on a very hilly course and they have been helping a lot.

In general I agree with you, but even a soft VP will roll on ocasion. VP's are money on upshots though, so predictable.

VP's are money on upshots though, so predictable.

This is so true. The VP is the best approach disc I've ever thrown. And it is just as predictable in windy conditions. This predictability, in fact, has made me replace the Sole with the VP as my in the circle putter.

The link to the Players Cup DGA Pick'em Bracket is now online at Players Cup.org.

It is cleverly hidden to the right of the Proto Driver / Mach Lite Players Cup Pack and the Dry Fit / Players Cup Disc Pack which we are selling to raise money for the event.

Note: There are only seven of the Proto Driver / Mach Lite Packs.

Good luck in the Pick'em Bracket!

8595912_orig.jpg

I ordered a dri-fit package. Are you only doing one mold for the package? Either way looking forward to getting it in the mail!

Status
Not open for further replies.