• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Discs (don't get caught without your rubber)

Steve warned me of potential drying/cracking issues on the softs, so I use Lacrosse Rubber Conditioner on them about 2x per year. All of mine (13 VPs, 3 Summits, or 10 or so Ridges) are still as supple as ever.

So I played a tiki round with just the sole and I really enjoy the disc. It has good glide, holds lines well and is easy to throw. The thing that is keeping me from putting it in the bag is the fact that vibram discs cater to someone who isn't a mold minimalist like me. If I put the sole in the bag right now I will have a stable DX aviar, a sole and then a flippy dx aviar in the bag instead of the stable, straight, flippy aviar set up I have now. With the sole in the bag, it will break up my aviar cycle.

I like Magnets becouse of how easy they are to work and how they break. I have not spent much time with Vibram putters do they ever break in.

Please disregard question. After reading a few pages in this thread the answer is no. I still want to pick up a Sole when they are released.

I threw the Ibex at a tournament this weekned and it had a good flight. It flew like a shorter buzzz imo. I only played catch with it for a short while but my buddy that bought it threw it during the round with good results.

Steve Dodge said:
We reformulated X-Link Soft to resist UV breakdown better and be a tad stiffer (but not much). We tested it in the Ascent and Trak and liked the results, so for the first time ever, we will be making drivers in X-Link Soft this year.

Has anyone spent more time working with the Sole. Interested if any of the posters have changed thier reviews from earlier posts.

He has a cannon for an arm and the lesser glide of Ibex (i think, not having thrown one) makes it veer off course less with every degree of missed hyzer angle. And lesser glide means easier ranging.

yes the ibex gives me more control. Very similar to control to my QMS. The ibex does have good glide, much better than other Vibram discs. The Axis doesn't like really high power and performs better on "pure" lines. I just have generally not enjoyed overmold discs. The Axis reminds me of the Flying Squirrel...

I exhaustively tested the Sole & Ibex over the weekend. I don't think either will make my bag in their current forms.

The Ibex, while a somewhat glidey straight-flyer with predictable fade, needs too much launch speed for me to be comfortable with it as a mid. Every time I tried a finesse shot with it, it would never glide at all & just immediately fade hard, coming up woefully short. If, on the other hand, I gave it the full treatment, it flew beautifully, oftentimes too beautifully, overshooting the mark. It would be useful for only a small subset of mid shots, those where you have to give it a 85+% huck and have no trouble at all behind the target. As I already have a Gremlin that can perform that shot (and a lot of others, as well), I have no use for the Ibex. I could see how others would (John Biscoe loves it), but not this guy.

The Sole is a delightfully floaty flyer. If released cleanly, it performs well as a nicely straight uphill & flat-ground putter, falling in flight somewhere between a Ridge & a Summit (much closer to a Ridge) for me. It really shines on drives, holding any line given it & keeping it even when the slow float kicks in. I could see it in my bag except for one problem: the release for me is woefully inconsistent. I lined up stacks of different putters (Wizards, XDs, Aviars, VPs, Ridges, & Summits) as well as two Soles. Putting at 50-ish feet I had a clean, crisp release on every single throw with the other putters, but on about 35% of the Sole throws, the disc came out all wobbly & anemic. This result held up over several hundred trials. My guess is that it is an artifact of the material (I prefer extremely soft putters & the Soles I have are hard-ish), and I probably need to retest when X-Link soft Soles become available. Until then, its long-range duties will be fulfilled by the Goblin in my bag (which also fills in as a mad uphill/tailwind putter) and the everyday putting role will stay with the Ridge. More to come if/when I ever get my mitts on an X-Link soft Sole…

was at a tournament yesterday with a poor selection of discs to choose from for winnings. ive been looking for a predictable and consistent understable driving mid for sometime now. so i figured id give a Med Summit a try. it felt great in the hand and has good grip. ive only gotten to throw it maybe a cpl dozen times but so far im really liking it. its not a flippy putter but a touch putter. release it the line you want it to fly and it will go. it also doesnt have alot of glide so its very easy to judge the power to distance ratio needed (i LOVE rhynos so this disc is like its opposite). im gonna work with it for awhile and run through all the tests. kinda makes me regret not giving Vibram a fair chance earlier ($19 a disc is really steep!). also, love the random ass colors in the plastic

VR would you say that Ibex is more of a driving mid than a workhorse mid?

Latest posts