• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Discs (don't get caught without your rubber)

I washed my Xlink Ascent and Trak while rubbing them under hot tap water after a couple of seconds of time to work with Ajax kitchen grease remover and the grip became way better. The uneven surface on top of those discs gripped really well in 48F. I'll have to see how they hold up in the rain to see just how good the grip is. I was pretty tired to exhausted as the session progressed. My longest tosses were around 355'. The Trak had some trouble in fairly mild headwinds, if there were gusts. In constant headwind it had no troubles handling mild winds. That was the most there was today. The Ascent is power hungry and won't stay flat for that long. I see, what people have called a lack of glide, but there are way less gliding discs out there and all of them are quite to very overstable.

The reason i tried these is needing to get a longer disc than FLX Buzzz with great grip and reasonably low power requirement for winter. When the snow gets deep running ain't so easy or an option. I also wanted a straight disc that could handle the winter winds by the sea. The Trak may not be wind tolerant enough, but i'll see it only, when i throw in winter gear in winter conditions. I think it fades too much for winter stand stills to stay within the local tunnels and might not be really longer than mids in those conditions. The grip helps a lot and sidearming with these discs is easy thanks to the shallow profile and great grip. I wonder how much better they feel in warm weather. I also need to see how the Ascent fares in real headwinds. I hope it straightens out nicely in fairly hard winds.

Having been bitten by altitude holding finicky discs tilting in unintentional ways on a bad day i got more wary of super well gliding discs. There are good reasons to throw underpowered and on days, when your form ain't massacred by exhaustion and body parts twisting every which way, it is also good to have discs that don't glide so far off sideways. That is some safety margin is good. You certainly can get Traks and Ascents moving a lot sideways, but not that drastically, when it is unintentional. As safety discs for staying in the fairway and not blowing by too far Traks and Ascents work well.

IMO having the best of both worlds by having glide kings and semi to full on bricks helps in handling more situations with safety margin on each shot. Utility or general purpose. I have a feeling, that if the Ascent and the Trak can handle bed rock and broken glass on my home course i'll like these even more. And i have a suspicion i will like these more than in the first field sessions. And i had an ok day with finicky discs. The best ever in fact for Comet ESP, GL Fuse and clear Ion. So it's not a matter of having sour grapes for having poor results with those, when i was not completely rested after a flu. In bag building and playing safe i think both drivers from Vibram are gonna shine in adding safety margin and repeatability to the throws.

late to the party;

Which current run Vibram putter flies most like a Champ Rhyno for approaches?

Thanks!

niuvalleycane said:
late to the party;

Which current run Vibram putter flies most like a Champ Rhyno for approaches?

Thanks!
If you're looking for overstability, get a VP.

Grip tackiness will be more than the Champion plastic with those discs, that have not been scrubbed as diligently as they should. Even in firm VPs. With scrubbed Firms the grip is significantly tackier than even in soft clear Champion Rhynos.

Frank Delicious said:
The Ibex does dead straight really well. Like really really well from a slight hyzer.

so this Ibex isnt as versatile as the real Ibex huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IW7KoYsWcM (about 12sec in)

There was a fair bit of wind and especially gusts today. The Ascent and Trak did not handle head winds as well as i expected with full power. With approach form and initial hyzer both flipped flat and went 300'. I wasn't accelerating fully in the end, but going for accuracy. The Trak was danced around and fades more than tunnels need. The Ascent faded even more, but didn't stray in the wind so it is much more dependable. Both have great grip. To the point of grip locking too often. Gotta see if that will go away with pushing the elbow out further than i was early in the session, when i threw these. And throwing rested, because my late acceleration wasn't in top form all the time. Actually it got better later, when i remembered top pay more attention to getting the elbow forward and got the elbow chopping faster. Also from better muscle guiding concentrating on really backhand slapping with the elbow straightening.

The grip on the Trak and Ascent after grease remover and rubbing is so great, that i will test the Ibex too for grip alone in the winter season.

I really must try these out again, when i'm rested and warmed up so i can punch the late acceleration fully. I'm fully aware that i wasn't pushing the elbow forward initially and warming up and concentrating on getting the elbow farther forward helped a lot. I would think that the great grip would lead to grip locks more easily in summer temps. 46 F today.

Rocking the all Vibram bag and I have to say that it held its own today at a really tough course and some nasty wind. Not confident enough to use it as my tournament set-up, I am sticking with everything in my Carolina bag which is mainly Swords, TeeBirds, and Rocs, but this Vibram set-up covers everything I need when I am just going out for a fun but competitive round.

6243336603_1f5d7920e3.jpg

Could somebody give me short review about Trak and Ascent? Ascent seems to be more overstable than Trak, but are there any other differences? I would also like to hear how they compare to other, more-known discs. Vibram discs look interesting, I'd like to know something more about them.

The ascent goes in and out of my bag depending on the course. There are some courses around here where you need to throw a lot of 330'ish drives on low ceilings which I love to throw the ascent on because it also doesn't skip much. It throws like a shorter, broken in eagle-x. The trak I have less time with because it threw like a leo or slightly beat TL but seemed more nose angle sensitive and I couldn't keep it from turning and burning too much. It is also shorter than a TL or leo. They are both kinda tweener drivers for me in range like a stalker

Yeah that was my problem. They aren't really big drivers. I think the Ibex because it can range almost as far as those 2 drivers, kinda makes them even less useful. They are great drivers, because the low glide makes them pinpoint accurate. If they can figure out to make the drivers glide, they should be golden

zj1002 said:
I think the Ibex because it can range almost as far as those 2 drivers, kinda makes them even less useful.

I agree fully. I am getting some very good and consistent fairway distance with my Ibex. I still get more distance from the Ascent or Trak, but when going for controlled distance the Ibex can easily hold its own against these two drivers.

Just wanted to throw a little love toward Vibram.

I bought a firm Ascent (173g) last season but didn't throw it much and put it back in for the Fall. I just picked up a lighter granite one (168g) along with a granite Ridge and I must say they're both quite nice. I'm liking the Ridge a lot the last couple weeks I've been playing with it and I did a two disc round last week with just the Ascent and Ridge and shot my second best score on the course (my best score being 2 strokes better the round before). I don't think the Ascent is going to kick out my Teebird (closest to for me) or PD for normal rounds but it holds its own just fine. The Ridge however might be stealing quite a few shots from my Wizard/Roc/Buzzz lineup. I like it because it's quite a bit like a slightly beat Wizard, but flatter like the Buzzz (which feels good to me). It seems to handle being thrown harder and possibly OAT better than the Wizard when I'm really trying to put some power into the disc (I throw about 350ft with my PD). I had a hard time getting it to flip over on me even on bad shots, but it held nice anny lines and in general is just a great straight flier with a small fade if any at the end. Often times I'll approach and overshoot with the Buzzz so it's nice to have something that doesn't accidentally fly past the basket as easily. I even had some really nice putts with the Ridge and so far I haven't had it roll down hills like my Wizard does sometimes.

The Ascent feels like it takes a bit of muscle to get it out there but ends up about the same range as a Teebird for me (which I think is close in flight but easier to throw). Like the Ridge though, I think it handles being muscled quite well.

While there might be cheaper and more versatile discs out there, I think Vibram gets the job done nicely (and they're super cool). All of the guys I played with were interested in the Ridge after they saw me playing with it and got a chance to throw it a bit. I'm anxious to try the Ibex and hope they add a Pred/Firebird kind of disc to the lineup. It'd be fun to play with a full Vibram bag sometimes.

Big thumbs up for the Ridge in my book though.

I still enjoy putting with my Summits a lot. I even tried my old Magics the other week and it was horrible, they felt alien in my hands. It is a really controllable putter for people with tiny fingers like mine. Now if only they can get rid of that raised lettering crap in the middle on the bottom, that shit bothers my fan grip.

Latest posts