• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Open 2012!

No tee sign should ever have a par 2 on it. Holes should never be designed as par 2s (other than Tiki golf). The only par 2s that (should) ever occur in our sport would strictly be on a temporary basis for high level tournaments when gold plays a layout designed for lower skill levels. That's it. No other time. And since late penalties are based on par, as MTL points out, pars need to be set properly for events.

I still call it frisbee golf to every new person I introduce the game to. They understand that.

I go with "disc golf". They say "What?". My response "Frisbee golf". Them "Oh yeah, I know that..."

It is what it is. I just started getting into table tennis and "ping-pong" to them makes them cringe. It's sad how I understand their pain.

and yes we have all the terminology of ball golf and same scoring procedures, but disc golf is way different. For one, you are not impacting and object with another object. And, a disc can do much more than a ball can in terms of maneuvering. We also are cannot shape greens to affect the way the disc flies. Sure we can shape them to affect how the disc rolls after we miss a putt. But in general, the two concepts are very different and the way we play is different.

I play both games. Neither feels anything like the other while playing. Other than keeping score and tallying up what I shot at the end, I consider them seperate experiences.

I'm just saying there are two options: Temporarily correct the par for events OR leave them alone and make the sport look "sillier" or "easier" when top pros shoot -50 for 4 rounds or -100 for Worlds. The hybrid option is what I did at Highbridge where a few blue level par 4s were dropped to par 3s and maybe one or two par 5s dropped to 4s. No blue par 3s were dropped to par 2 although the scoring stats indicated they were truly gold par 2s. In general, the true gold level par on a well designed blue level course should be about 4-5 shots lower.

The hybrid option is what I did at Highbridge where a few blue level par 4s were dropped to par 3s and maybe one or two par 5s dropped to 4s. No blue par 3s were dropped to par 2 although the scoring stats indicated they were truly gold par 2s. In general, the true gold level par on a well designed blue level course should be about 4-5 shots lower.

And it was the most talked about thing and 99% of players commented that they hated it.

It doesnt matter though. A stroke is a stroke is a stroke...... change it all to par ones. who gives a **** Least amount of strokes wins....

It doesnt matter though. A stroke is a stroke is a stroke...... change it all to par ones. who gives a **** Least amount of strokes wins....

Sighs...

As I stated before...

Say that when you lose to someone who misses a 1,000 foot hole in a tournament and get's a 7 instead of a 9 b/c some idiot called it a par 3.

And that costs you a hundred dollars.

Btw, that has happened to me.

I'm getting frustrated and when I get frustrated, I get rude.

READ THE RULES. IT'S PAR +4 FOR MISSING A HOLE.

And it was the most talked about thing and 99% of players commented that they hated it.

Just because you "hate" something doesn't mean it isn't a proper thing to do. Lots of people "hate" hole 17 at Winthrop. Tough.

But why does this matter to the Vibram Open? Did a hole get misplayed resulting in a better score?

If hole 1 at the Vibram was not set to par 4, a late player for their tee time would get one less penalty than they should have.

this

Say that when you lose to someone who misses a 1,000 foot hole in a tournament and get's a 7 instead of a 9 b/c some idiot called it a par 3.

and this

Sighs...

As I stated before...

I'm getting frustrated and when I get frustrated, I get rude.

READ THE RULES. IT'S PAR +4 FOR MISSING A HOLE.

it is important because our rules are based on par.

dont be so emotional chuck.

But why does this matter to the Vibram Open? Did a hole get misplayed resulting in a better score?

something about a 500' uphill par 3 that nobody got a 2 on yesterday

GO Paige

and answer Jeff L about the scores being exciting to watch. Yes but only if you are not rooting for 1 player over the rest. It become "well, she is in the lead now but 1 or 2 bad holes and that player is out untill someone else make a mistake."

still glad to have the option though, I'll take what I can get.

another aside, with I had known it was open to all women, would have sent the wife up to play, I'm sure she could cash.

And how many under par some of the best playersin the world shoot is irrelevant. It just doesn't matter.

Then why fill up several pages of a thread with your thoughts on par and whether it should be changed?

I'm confused.

Because I'm bummed I am not at the Vibram. First time I have ever missed the event.

How far did they move the tee on 17 this year? I know it was moved last year also. That's been one of the hardest par 3's ever since the original hole design.