• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

VictorB bag for 2020

VictorB

* Ace Member *
Another year, and another bag thread. Last year I didn't swap things around very much (at least for me) and hopefully I've figured enough stuff out since coming back in 2016 to the point where I don't need to try all the new stuff. My son and I are getting into playing hockey (he wanted to learn, and I said I'd learn with him) so I'll be playing less this winter than normally even.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 14 years since I first started playing. 3 year break in the middle
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: 80% RHBH, 20% RHFH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Challenger: 200/250, Wasp 250/325, Undertaker 300/370, Hurricane 375/440

Birth year: 1981
Injuries/handicaps?: No left ACL
Other sport proficiencies?: Not proficient, but I'd put ice hockey here
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I like that I'm comfortable throwing everything in there, both FH and BH
Specific areas of desired feedback: None
Immediate and long-term goals: None, probably won't be playing competitively this year, but I'll make that decision when the weather warms up.

The Bag, winter version:

Distance drivers
174 SP FLX Hurricane, newish: Pretty overstable, mainly used for long hyzers and some headwind shots
171 SP FLX Hurricane, newish: Out of the box bomber. Can get a tight S out of a mild hyzer flip

- I'll either add/swap an SP hurricane that I used last year in during warmer weather.

Fairway drivers
174 Z Predator, newish: very overstable, hard hyzers and forehands
174 Z Predator, beat: a lot of low speed stability beat out of this disc. primarily for backhand flexes and power straight to hyzer shots
174 ESP Undertaker, sligtly worn: workhorse stable fairway
168 Z Undertaker, worn: long hyzer flips, anhyzers that hold a turn
174 SP Pipeline, newish: turnovers and more finesse hyzer flips

Midranges:
178 Cryztal Drone, newish: mini-predator. almost exclusively thrown FH for approaches and short drives
177 PL FLX Squall, newish: hybrid midrange, used when I want something between a wasp and undertaker. Has some stability and is like a longer, beat in Wasp
178 PL Squall, new: some turn out of the box, used for longer anhyzers
177 ESP Wasp: dependable stable midrange
178 LE ESP Comet: finesse hyzer flips and straight/right finishing shots

Putters:
174 SP Breaker, new: used for straighter FH approaches, and overstable BH putter shots
174 D Challenger, new: throwing/approach only
174 D Challenger (x2) putting only putters

Things I need to tease out: Do I really need both the squall and pipeline? Will the Wasp get more midgrade plastic runs that aren't LE so I can get a cycle going? Is the breaker/drone a better combo than just running the zone to cover all of those shots? Find out, on the next episode of dragonball Z!

As is tradition, I switched putters back already.

Need to have a fire sale on Challengers just to get them out of the house

toying with the idea of using a stalker/predator/anax type lineup for fairways this year. Pretty excited that the stalker will be available in 3 plastics again

toying with the idea of using a stalker/predator/anax type lineup for fairways this year. Pretty excited that the stalker will be available in 3 plastics again

Yeah but Undertaker though...

The Undy comes in all plastics, so between the Pred and Undy, you could really cover a lot.

All this to say, rock what ya want!

Yeah but Undertaker though...

The Undy comes in all plastics, so between the Pred and Undy, you could really cover a lot.

All this to say, rock what ya want!

I love the undertaker, but loved the stalker many years ago when cryztal and z were available! Sometimes I just want something that will power down a little better than a 'taker. Not sure if it would be a permanent change but worth a look, especially since I probably won't be playing any real competitive golf this year

Stalkers might slot in next to the undertaker, really need to throw them side by side when the courses here open up. I threw a stalker in all instances where I'd normally throw an undertaker today and didn't miss a beat.

Also, banger gts back in the bag for throwing and putting. It's weird but having the GT helps me keep the disc level instead of pushing the nose down too much with a 'normal' top. It might be a crutch but I need all the help I can get

Distance drivers
174 SP FLX Hurricane, newish: Pretty overstable, mainly used for long hyzers and some headwind shots
171 SP FLX Hurricane, newish: Out of the box bomber. Can get a tight S out of a mild hyzer flip

- I'll either add/swap an SP hurricane that I used last year in during warmer weather.

Fairway drivers
174 Z Predator, beat: a lot of low speed stability beat out of this disc. primarily for backhand flexes and power straight to hyzer shots
174 Glow Z Mantis (BG Ams), new - workable long range driver
175 Cryztal Stalker, new - slightly overstable fairway workhorse.
175 ESP Stalker, new - less fade than the cryztal, should beat in faster for cycling

Midranges:
178 Cryztal Drone, newish: mini-predator. almost exclusively thrown FH for approaches and short drives
176 Z Wasp, newish - nice and overstable
176 ESP Swirl Glow Wasp, worn - flat top, wearing in to fairly straight when I hammer on it
175 Jawbreaker Wasp, worn - getting worn in, will hyzer flip or hold a turning shot with some power
178 MJ ESP Swirl Glow Comet, worn - finally putting this back in the bag as the snow melts...finesse hyzer flips, long turnovers that hold to the ground

Putters:
174 ESP Banger GT, newish - main driving putter.
174 X Soft Banger GT, new - straighter off the shelf, main approach putter
174 Jawbreaker Banger GT (x2), new - matching putters.

How do Hurricane's fly in comparison to like a Destroyer or a Force or something like that?
I don't know many people who bag DGA

How do Hurricane's fly in comparison to like a Destroyer or a Force or something like that?
I don't know many people who bag DGA

It's basically a Force SS. I haven't throw a destroyer in years, but a hurricane will typically have a tick more high speed turn and a tick less low speed fade than a Zeus.

So Force > Zeus > Hurricane > Nuke > Crank would probably be about where it fits, stability wise. It's not an S turn disc like a Nuke, but you can hyzer flip it a little easier than a Zeus

Bag experiment time is always fun, but I'm finding myself falling back to the dependable discs that I've really grown to love, and built my game around.

Distance drivers
171 PL Hurricane, worn: mid stability driver, tight S turns and hyzer flips
171 SP FLX Hurricane, worn: worn into a nice tailwind/turnover driver

Fairway drivers
174 ESP Undertaker, worn: workhorse stable driver.
168 Z Undertaker, worn: worn into workable, lighter weight helps power down and stay straight. Will hold most lines, but not for any headwind use
175 SP Pipeline, new: fills the understable fairway slot. finesse drives, hyzer flip to flat, or will hold a turnover

The stalker is a great fairway driver but doesn't fit in my lineup. I can do basically all of those shots with an undertaker, and there's not a huge distance gap between the two molds. Beat predator is out for now, but probably will sneak back in at some point.

Midranges
176 ESP Swirl Glow Wasp, worn: straight to hyzer power midrange shots
176 Jawbreaker Wasp, worn: hyzer flip or turnover power midrange shots
176 ESP Swirl MJ Comet, worn: still quite stable for a comet even worn in, workhorse mid when it's not windy.
17x X Comet, beat: utility understable, doesn't really go left at all. beautiful hyzer flip to turn lines are possible with this one

Putters
174 MF4 Steady, newish: driving putter, nicely overstable
174 D-Line Steady
, worn: drives and approaches, worn to be straight or hold turns on longer shots
174 Matt Bell Rubber Blend Steady (x2): putting putters, best feeling plastic out there to me

I don't have any tournaments to play so far this year (and right now, no one does) but still find myself not really wanting to tool around much the the lineup. I have a Gannon Z Undertaker on the way, that might fill the lineup and balance out the fairways a bit depending on the stability. I don't see myself carrying 3 high speed drivers, and might throw another comet back in the bag once I knock the rust off from winter.

Last edited:
Been a weird year in terms of developing a bag lineup. Haven't been able to get much course time in and most of my very limited practice has been putting only. I do think I'm pretty solid with the following lineup though.

Distance drivers
174 PL FLX Hurricane, newish: Pretty overstable, mainly used for long hyzers and some headwind shots
171 SP Hurricane, worn: mid stability driver, tight S turns and hyzer flips
171 PL FLX Hurricane, worn: worn into a nice tailwind/turnover driver

Fairway drivers
174 Z Predator, beat: basically my vulture/thunderbird slot, amazingly balanced now
174 Z Gannon Undertaker, new: nice high speed stability, workhorse driver
168 Z Undertaker, worn: will hold longer turns and easier to power down
177 PL Squall, new: when I want to hold a turn or hyzer flip without much fade. Fills a very important role in the bag as a slower driver that can hold a turn.

Midranges
177 Z Wasp, newish: it's a fresh stock Z wasp. does exactly what you'd expect
176 JB Wasp, beat: nice hyzer flips, longer turns
176 MJ ESP Swirl Comet, worn: still has decent stability if I don't hammer it. The go-to disc in the woods.

Putters
174 SP Breaker, newish: mainly used for FH approaches where I don't want as much fade or ground play as a drone, wide swinging BH hyzer approaches
174 D-Line Steady, worn: drives and approaches, worn to be straight or hold turns on longer shots
174 Matt Bell Rubber Blend Steady (x2): putting putters, best feeling plastic out there to me

Courses are supposed to start opening next weekend, so we'll see how this goes in terms of getting practice in.

Been a weird year in terms of developing a bag lineup. Haven't been able to get much course time in and most of my very limited practice has been putting only. I do think I'm pretty solid with the following lineup though.

Distance drivers
174 PL FLX Hurricane, newish: Pretty overstable, mainly used for long hyzers and some headwind shots

Fairway drivers
174 Z Predator, beat: basically my vulture/thunderbird slot, amazingly balanced now
177 PL Squall, new: when I want to hold a turn or hyzer flip without much fade. Fills a very important role in the bag as a slower driver that can hold a turn.

Midranges
177 Z Wasp, newish: it's a fresh stock Z wasp. does exactly what you'd expect
176 JB Wasp, beat: nice hyzer flips, longer turns
176 MJ ESP Swirl Comet, worn: still has decent stability if I don't hammer it. The go-to disc in the woods.

Putters
174 SP Breaker, newish: mainly used for FH approaches where I don't want as much fade or ground play as a drone, wide swinging BH hyzer approaches
174 D-Line Steady, worn: drives and approaches, worn to be straight or hold turns on longer shots

Courses are supposed to start opening next weekend, so we'll see how this goes in terms of getting practice in.

The Steady should be very close to a Wizard, a great putter.

Courses finally opened, and I've been at least getting some work in at the field near my house in the last few weeks. Rearranging some numbers and going with an easier to find putter to 'start' the season.

Distance drivers

Fairway drivers
174 Z Predator, newish: the beef
174 ESP Undertaker, slight wear: Workable but still can be lazer straight

Midranges
176 Shastashock, newish: it's what a beat premium wasp is, good HSS but not a lot of fade
178 MJ ESP Comet (2019), new: definitely stable for a comet
177 MJ ESP Comet (2018), worn: the epitome of what a comet should be.
17x X Comet, beat: low power hyzer flips, late flips, and turning shots that don't fade

Putters
174 D-Line Steady, worn: drives and approaches, worn to be straight or hold turns on longer shots. Will replace with a Wizard when I get some beat in
175 SS Wizards (x2), new: Putting only. Cheap, replaceable, easy to find - great stability and very predictable for putting.

Decided I'm just going to ride the lightning until rubber blend steadys are all gone and my stash is completely gone.

Yeah, that's not happening.

Not much has changed lately. Just kind of 'like for like' changes: Wizard is in for all putting and approach duties, and the Harp is my overstable putt/approach disc.

I've had a bit of shoulder problems, so I'm throwing almost no forehands.

I've got:
steadys back in the bag (I just like the drop they have better)
Raptors in the overstable fairway slot
No overstable FH approach disc, drone is the only slow overstable disc I'm using.