• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Vulcan, Understable????

MeekoDecastro

Is anyone else have this problem? I throw a 170g Wraith (RHBH) as my primary long distance driver. It works well as my stable flier with consistent S curve drives. I wanted to add a fast understable driver to my bag, so I got the new Star Vulcan(170g). I like it, but for some reason, I feel that I have to work very hard to produce a standard and consistent high speed turn at the beginning, only to have it always hook too much at the end. It feels stable to me! What do you think/suggest? Thank you!

Vulcan is pretty darn understable, though freaks are bound to appear. How far are you throwing?

How far do you throw? The Vulcan was way too flippy for me, I had to release it vertically to get any flight out of it.

My Vulcans are understable. I have to back off of them so they will fly straight (which goes just as far as it does when thrown hard).

Yes, they are understable. I found mine to be very sensitive to nose angle and speed for how much turn you get.

The Vulcan flys understable for me and I'm throwing my star wraiths about 350 at most. I have a champ glow Vulcan. I usually throw it with a little hyzer and it flips up and usually continues to the right for a while. It gets out there a little further than my wraith and turns most consistently than katanas for me.

Threw it for the first time yesterday at Pier-a-dice. Alan Pier and a buddy let me try theirs (157g and 175g) the lightest and heaviest they make. At first I was flipping the 157, but with a good amount of hyzer was able to put it out there about 400-420. The 175 was much more consistent and reached about the same distance. Sticking to my nukes though. The vulcan was doing a large S, while my nukes reached the same distance on a rope.

With 325' of power, I think that you are getting some speed-stability. Vulcan is probably too fast for you and so it is flying more overstable than the listed numbers. If you want an understable driver that is more your speed, I would try a Roadrunner or Sidewinder.

Ive seen some freak stable vulcans. An older friend of mine,50s, sidearms350 maybe on good rips. He has a vulcan thats stable as a destroyer.then he got another vulcan same weight,170+,and it was a insta roller.

With 325' of power, I think that you are getting some speed-stability. Vulcan is probably too fast for you and so it is flying more overstable than the listed numbers. If you want an understable driver that is more your speed, I would try a Roadrunner or Sidewinder.

Perfect! Exactly the answer Ive been looking for. Thanks!

Problem with the Vulcan is they have it marketed as "Easy to throw far". Well it is still a 13 speed so for lots of people it is going to act stable and for others it will OAT over pretty easily. During a tournament I've watched an old fella that could throw maybe 275 throw one. It wasn't pretty. If you have a regular Vulcan and you are having it go hard left then it isn't for you. The ratings for it are 13, 5, -4, 2. So just think it should be going -4 to the right and then back 2 to the left so still leaving you at a -2 if you can kind of draw an imaginary number system going across the hole.

That said I haven't tried one out yet :D.

Last edited:
Well I have a Vulcan that is a freak disc. It is as overstable as my Champion Boss. Very disappointed considering I bought it for a turnover driver. I have thrown other peoples and they were all flippy just like what I wanted. Very disappointed at the inconsistency.

Perfect! Exactly the answer Ive been looking for. Thanks!

IMO go with the sidewinder. I'm about even with you as far as power and the roadrunner is more under stable than the sidewinder. It is flippyer than a politician.

it sure it understable, maybe you got a freak one. what kind of plastic is your wraith and how beat is it? that could cause it to resemble a new vulcan.

Well I have a Vulcan that is a freak disc. It is as overstable as my Champion Boss. Very disappointed considering I bought it for a turnover driver. I have thrown other peoples and they were all flippy just like what I wanted. Very disappointed at the inconsistency.

How far do you normally throw? Even as an understable disc, a Vulcan is still a speed 13 and will fade quickly without the proper power

Latest posts