• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Vulture Driver

I'm sure the information is in this thread but I'm too lazy to read it through... I have 3 Z Vultures that I love, it's my workhorse fairway. How do the stock Ti and Big Z compare to the stock Z in terms of stability?

I would say that the Ti will be less stable and the Big Z more stable than a stock Z

Sounds weird but that's how mine flies...and I have at least two of each
I think the first run Z is the least stable and CryZtal the most stable

I would say that the Ti will be less stable and the Big Z more stable than a stock Z

Sounds weird but that's how mine flies...and I have at least two of each
I think the first run Z is the least stable and CryZtal the most stable

agreed found the same thing

Those Cryztal Vultures from Ledgestone are basically Predators. Very overstable.

After some use and really thinking over the feel between the two discs, I am not gelling with the Thunderbird as much as I thought I would and am mulling over the Vulture being in the bag.

The debate I have currently have is whether I should go back to the Eagle (EX) over the Vulture. The Vulture seems to be longer than the EX while still being versatile and stable. The rim on the EX is a little more comfortable. I don't know. What do you all think?

I only monkey around with two Discraft molds. The Zone and the Vulture.

I just never gelled with the Thunderbird and eventually tried the Vulture. For me, the Vulture is a wee bit less stable, has better glide, and generally gives me better distance while being easy to control.

I don't know if I've ever had a bad throw with the Vulture so I'd say give it a shot for a few rounds and then decide.

I only monkey around with two Discraft molds. The Zone and the Vulture.

I just never gelled with the Thunderbird and eventually tried the Vulture. For me, the Vulture is a wee bit less stable, has better glide, and generally gives me better distance while being easy to control.

I don't know if I've ever had a bad throw with the Vulture so I'd say give it a shot for a few rounds and then decide.

I agree with you. I have a Vulture and like it. The lip at the bottom bothered me a little bit and took me some time to get used to it. I am not bothered as much by it now.

The dilemma I have currently have is whether I want to go back to the Eagle since I have thrown it for years or do I want to throw the Vulture. I think the Vulture has given me better distance over the Eagle (EX mold).

While the Eagle can go far, I feel like it takes more power and more height to get there. The Eagle is a great and versatile mold that can cover different lines through different stages of wear. While I have thrown the Eagle on lower lines, it's not the easiest thing to do, especially if it is on a longer hole.

I think the Vulture maybe better suited for what I want even if loses some of the versatility to the Eagle (not by much, perhaps).

Sorry for the rant, but I am wondering if anyone else has had experience bewteen the Eagle and Vulture and can give me their thoughts between the two.

Sorry. I've never tried an Eagle.

I was going to pick one up once just to try but the handful they had at my local shop were wildly inconsistent in how they were shaped. They had a DX with possibly the biggest dome I've ever seen on a disc, a couple of other DX that were nearly board flat, and some champion and star Eagles with various domes. I didn't want to try one and fall in love and not be able to find a similar disc if I ever needed to replace it.

I agree with you. I have a Vulture and like it. The lip at the bottom bothered me a little bit and took me some time to get used to it. I am not bothered as much by it now.

The dilemma I have currently have is whether I want to go back to the Eagle since I have thrown it for years or do I want to throw the Vulture. I think the Vulture has given me better distance over the Eagle (EX mold).

While the Eagle can go far, I feel like it takes more power and more height to get there. The Eagle is a great and versatile mold that can cover different lines through different stages of wear. While I have thrown the Eagle on lower lines, it's not the easiest thing to do, especially if it is on a longer hole.

I think the Vulture maybe better suited for what I want even if loses some of the versatility to the Eagle (not by much, perhaps).

Sorry for the rant, but I am wondering if anyone else has had experience bewteen the Eagle and Vulture and can give me their thoughts between the two.

Why not bag both?

I was able to go and throw my Eagles (seasoned Star and newish DX) vs my slightly used Vulture (Ti) the other day. I've thrown my Vulture before but the more I threw it this time, the more I was impressed with it.

1. It was longer and as versatile as the EX while having a predictable finish at the end. Some of my EX throws turned and didn't fade out like I wanted. Granted, a newer EX will fade out but it won't have the same distance like the Vulture.

2. One of the key differences between the two is that the EX is more dumpy in it's fade while the Vulture penetrates more forward while it fades. I've liken the Ti Vulture to a slighter shorter P-PD before and I still hold to that.

3. It is controllable without being to power hungry.

4. The feel of the Vulture's bottom lip doesn't bother me like it used to. I found it easier to adjust to because the rim is not as wide as something like the Thunderbird (which felt weird in my hand and found hard to adjust to even though I use to throw PDs). Between the Eagle and Vulture in the hand, the rim width is not noticeable even though the Vulture has a slightly bigger rim.

The Vulture's rim width measures a little closer to a Thunderbird or PD than an Eagle or Teebird, FWIW.

It is in between those widths. EX is like 1.75, Vulture is 1.85, and Thunderbird/PD is 1.95.

I honestly think the Vulture is the best of both worlds, after comparing it to the EX and other speed 9 discs. It takes less power for me to throw the way I want it while staying predictable, compared to other speed 9 discs. A the same time, it goes further than speed 7 discs.

Have you measured them? Comes out .750" for a PD/Thunderbird/Firebird on my calipers, .735" for a Vulture/Predator, and I believe a Teebird/Eagle is either .700" or .710", but it's been so long since I measured that I can't remember for sure.

Either way, the Vulture/Pred are just a hair closer to a Thunderbird than an Eagle.

But yes, I agree- I also got a great flight out of the Vulture that was milder than a Thunderbird but longer than a Teebird. Your P-PD comparison seems like a really good one.

Have you measured them? Comes out .750" for a PD/Thunderbird/Firebird on my calipers, .735" for a Vulture/Predator, and I believe a Teebird/Eagle is either .700" or .710", but it's been so long since I measured that I can't remember for sure.

Either way, the Vulture/Pred are just a hair closer to a Thunderbird than an Eagle.

But yes, I agree- I also got a great flight out of the Vulture that was milder than a Thunderbird but longer than a Teebird. Your P-PD comparison seems like a really good one.

Honestly, I got the measurements from your post #154. lol :D I was recalling the measurements from memory in my previous post. Looking back I see that I was off comparing the Thunderbird and Vulture measurements. Somehow I was thinking all three were separated by .10 cm. But yeah, you're right, the Vulture is closer to the Thunderbird.

For reference, here's your older post:

Pretty sure I've posted this before, but mine is .73"- 1.85 cm. Undertaker is right at or just over .7", which is 1.78 cm. Champ Eagle is right at or just over .69", which is 1.75 cm and Star Thunderbird is .75", or 1.905 cm, for reference.

Strangely enough, the Vulture feels closer to the EX (at least for me) than it does the Thunderbird.

I have really learned to appreciate the Z Vulture.

Unfortunately I threw my most used orange one into the lake today, that takes me down to just two left, both in the bag, no backups.

Very few are still available that I am seeing, and not many in regular Z. Those that are out there are more than I am willing to pay.

If I lose another I can always plug a Thunderbird or OLF into the slot in a pinch.

I know it's almost impossible to guess what disc might be available when right now.

Has anyone heard anything about when DC might release some stock Vultures?

I picked up a Z vulture a few months ago as backup but ESP is my favourite.

Eeesh, I picked up an ESP Anax because I have had such a hard time finding Z Vulture's at a reasonable price.

I thought perhaps
10/5/0/2
10/6/0/3

Might be close enough to work.

Sadly it did not work for me.
Suspect it might be a solid disc for a bigger arm.

For my noodle arm it is shorter and more over stable. I can't quite get it to flip up to flat and ride like a Vulture.

It's me, not the disc... I know... Just disappointed.

I sure am hoping to see some reasonably priced Vultures at some point this summer.

I snagged one of the Ledgestones, should have grabbed more.

Latest posts