• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Wanna try Prodigy

IllustratorVir

Eagle Member
I am thinking of trying out some of Prodigy's plastic. I wanted to design a minimalist bag and here is what I came up with:

1. PA2
  2. M3
  3. F5
  4. D3
  5. D1

Couple of questions:
  1. I want my midranges to beat in gradually and begin a rotation. (Think Pro plastic from Innova) What is a comparable plastic for this?
  2. What is your experiences with durability of their plastics? Which is your favorite, why?

I am thinking of trying out some of Prodigy's plastic. I wanted to design a minimalist bag and here is what I came up with:
  1. PA2
  2. M3
  3. F5
  4. D3
  5. D1
Couple of questions:
  1. I want my midranges to beat in gradually and begin a rotation. (Think Pro plastic from Innova) What is a comparable plastic for this?
  2. What is your experiences with durability of their plastics? Which is your favorite, why?

I've found the Prodigy plastics to be of good quality. The 400S and 400G are so far very durable for me, but they're more like Champion and Star.

What you probably would like best is the 300 plastics. They're the baseline plastic, and it is a better quality than most other baselines (IMHO) and feels good, grips good. IMHO these will beat in and allow you to cycle very nicely.

All of the discs you posted are good. I have an M3 and like it a lot. I just got an F5, and found it to be a bit understable; ergo, you might want to consider an F3 (which I also have), which is a very good disc (or both F3 and F5, no pain there).

Infinite Discs has had X-out (factory second) discs in the past, so you might contact them and/or Prodigy itself about it.

I've found the Prodigy plastics to be of good quality. The 400S and 400G are so far very durable for me, but they're more like Champion and Star.

What you probably would like best is the 300 plastics. They're the baseline plastic, and it is a better quality than most other baselines (IMHO) and feels good, grips good. IMHO these will beat in and allow you to cycle very nicely.

All of the discs you posted are good. I have an M3 and like it a lot. I just got an F5, and found it to be a bit understable; ergo, you might want to consider an F3 (which I also have), which is a very good disc (or both F3 and F5, no pain there).

Infinite Discs has had X-out (factory second) discs in the past, so you might contact them and/or Prodigy itself about it.
Is the regular 400 series the star-like plastic?

No, it would be considered champion plastic. The 400G would be the closest to star. And 300 plastic is very grippy so if thats your kind of thing then go for it and 350 is closer to a KC Pro type plastic but grippier and a touch softer. 750 plastic is pretty much stiff champion plastic.

400S is the more Champ-like. More clear or translucent. The 400g may show up a bit shiny, but it's usually a more matte finish than the 400s. 400g feels like between Star and Pro, nicely grippy, but it's durable (at least my discs have been, so far).

Btw, this is my "all-Prodigy" bag:

Pa4 (300s plastic) - putting putter.
Pa4 (proto)(400s plastic) - throwing putter
M3 (X-out)(400g plastic) - stable/os mid.
M4 (400g plastic) - this is in my Core bag; It's my understable/turnover/anny mid. I throw it where the basket is on the right and a turnover/anny shot is needed, and it works very, very well.
M5 (300 plastic) - very understable, pretty much too US for my needs. Would make a good roller.
F3 (X-out)(400s) - fairway driver. Like a Teebird to me.
F5 (400g) - fairway driver. More understable than F3, a lot like a River or FD, IMHO.
H4 (X-out)(750 plastic) - the 750 plastic is a lot like Pro/Star plastic, and the H4 is meant to be a 'tweener' between the fairway and long distance drivers. It has a blunt edge. Good disc.
D4 (400s)(first run) - I got this used but in really excellent condition. It's a speed 13 driver with the rim, so it's not the best for my noodle arm.
D5 (X-out)(400g) - understable speed 13 driver. Rim has a groove, though not as bad as the Groove/Monarch atrocity from Innova... but I don't like the D5's groove either. Disc itself did not fly badly for me.

400S is the more Champ-like. More clear or translucent. The 400g may show up a bit shiny, but it's usually a more matte finish than the 400s. 400g feels like between Star and Pro, nicely grippy, but it's durable (at least my discs have been, so far).

Btw, this is my "all-Prodigy" bag:

Pa4 (300s plastic) - putting putter.
Pa4 (proto)(400s plastic) - throwing putter
M3 (X-out)(400g plastic) - stable/os mid.
M4 (400g plastic) - this is in my Core bag; It's my understable/turnover/anny mid. I throw it where the basket is on the right and a turnover/anny shot is needed, and it works very, very well.
M5 (300 plastic) - very understable, pretty much too US for my needs. Would make a good roller.
F3 (X-out)(400s) - fairway driver. Like a Teebird to me.
F5 (400g) - fairway driver. More understable than F3, a lot like a River or FD, IMHO.
H4 (X-out)(750 plastic) - the 750 plastic is a lot like Pro/Star plastic, and the H4 is meant to be a 'tweener' between the fairway and long distance drivers. It has a blunt edge. Good disc.
D4 (400s)(first run) - I got this used but in really excellent condition. It's a speed 13 driver with the rim, so it's not the best for my noodle arm.
D5 (X-out)(400g) - understable speed 13 driver. Rim has a groove, though not as bad as the Groove/Monarch atrocity from Innova... but I don't like the D5's groove either. Disc itself did not fly badly for me.
Marshall Street had a bunch of 400 Series x-outs, so I pick out a few to try out. Can't beat the price.

If you want it to beat in, 300 and maybe 350 are your friend. Their 400 and 750 are super durable.

I throw mostly prodigy, and almost all of it is 400/400s. I love that plastic, it is what made me go prodigy. Funny enough, I don't like 400g at all. I have tried it, but it feels cheap to me and seems much more susceptible to damage. I had a D2 that soon became more flippy than my D3. A lot of people seem to like it though, so I may be in the minority on this...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

400s will beat in beautifully! It just takes about 50-60 rounds or so... My favorite disc that I bag is a 400s M1 (2013 mold) It's DEAD straight for 90% of it's flight then fades out fairly hard at the end. I can trust it to hold a solid hyzer line and flex out of an anhyzer - it is my most trustworthy disc. However, of the 3x 400s M1 (2013 mold) discs that I have, they are all in different wear and will fly slightly different. I think Prodigy's sweetspot is their mids, and the 400s M1 is the only disc I've ever taken to cycling. Baseline plastics beat out of that sweet spot too quickly, where as Star/S-Line/Biofusion/400s will beat in, then hold onto that flight path for ages.

As a total Prodigy Fanboi, I recommend these;

400s D2
400g D3
750 H2 (forehand - beautiful blunted rim fits beautifully in the hand)
400s F2
750 F5
400s M1 (x2)
750 M4
400s PA1 (driving putter)
350g PA1 (headwind putter)
350g PA3 (putting putter)
750 PA4 (tailwind and turnover putter)

That was my old bag of solely Prodigy. (with an F7 for hyzerflip/turnover/rollers, and X1 for spikes/overhand) I adore their plastics and flights. But everyone has to find what works for them. Lots of people around here hate Prodigy at the first mention of their name. Just try a few and see how it goes.

BLR3cF2.png

Here is what I ended up going with for my first round. Marshall Street had a stash of 400 x-outs and at 10 bucks a disc, it's worth a shot. I am pretty excited to toss em!

VERY helpful, thank you! Maybe I am in the minority, but I like the naming conventions for the molds themselves.

I've heard a lot of griping about it, but when you think of it coming from a traditional golf standpoint, it's completely logical. 9 Iron vs 3 Wood? Simple.

Looks like you got a nice setup to start out. I would suggest a 350g or 300 putter, though. 400 plastic is pretty slick. But that's all personal preference in plastic feel.

I've heard a lot of griping about it, but when you think of it coming from a traditional golf standpoint, it's completely logical. 9 Iron vs 3 Wood? Simple.

Looks like you got a nice setup to start out. I would suggest a 350g or 300 putter, though. 400 plastic is pretty slick. But that's all personal preference in plastic feel.
It's funny, the 400 x-out was like 3 bucks cheaper than a regular 300 series. If I like the mold, I will make the 400 my thrower and snag a 300 series to putt with.

BLR3cF2.png

Here is what I ended up going with for my first round. Marshall Street had a stash of 400 x-outs and at 10 bucks a disc, it's worth a shot. I am pretty excited to toss em!

Looks like a solid set. If you like the Pa4, consider getting one in base plastic to putt with. Also, if the D-discs are a bit much, try one of the H-discs.

Prodigy is hardly overpriced. Around here any champion or star plastic is over priced. I fell in love with prodigy ever since the first one I bought. The plastic is stupid durable and feels great in the hand. Even in the cheaper grades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts