• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Westside 101

this thread is very much like the Sword thread

could someone write up some more info on the Boatman?

is it a decent wind fighter in VIP?
is it Predator like?
is it more stable than the Sword
is it overstable?
wing size?
glide? or lack of?

I've only thrown one Boatman and it was the highest PLH one in the stack, hand picked by my friend, and I only threw it when it was new. Everything I say is about that particular disc.

It's a very HSS driver that can take a lot of power and handle wind without turning. For a disc that's so hard to turn over it still had a relatively subdued fade. So yes, it is a wind fighter, it is not Predator like (too little fade), it is more stable than the Sword (both HSS and LSS), it is overstable but not a meathook, wing size is in the specs (2.2cm, so equal to Sword and Destroyer. It's slower though, due to the blunt nose. Funny, the Archon is marked as 2.3 and the Wraith is marked 2.1, TeeDevil is marked 2.4 and the Destroyer is marked 2.2...), and when it comes to glide it doesn't crash into the ground but it's not a Flow either.

thank you sir!

so when you say blunter nose is it thicker? (similar (but not like) to a Monster having a thick nose profile)

so carrying both a Boatman and a Sword is not redundant?
they are complimentary rather than overlapping?

could the Boatman be bracketed in with discs like the Pred, Firebird, or Monster although perhaps without the same level of fade?
maybe that question doesn't make sense

but what I mean is although the Boatman would not fade quite as hard as the discs listed could it still be used in place of the listed discs?

Depending on the power level, sort of. It won't do what a real overstable disc will, but it can handle winds and like to fly straight when powered. Sword isn't nearly as good in the wind so you can definitely have room for both in your bag, even if in the calm they do overlap somewhat.

jubuttib said:
I've only thrown one Boatman and it was the highest PLH one in the stack, hand picked by my friend, and I only threw it when it was new. Everything I say is about that particular disc.

It's a very HSS driver that can take a lot of power and handle wind without turning. For a disc that's so hard to turn over it still had a relatively subdued fade. So yes, it is a wind fighter, it is not Predator like (too little fade), it is more stable than the Sword (both HSS and LSS), it is overstable but not a meathook, wing size is in the specs (2.2cm, so equal to Sword and Destroyer. It's slower though, due to the blunt nose. Funny, the Archon is marked as 2.3 and the Wraith is marked 2.1, TeeDevil is marked 2.4 and the Destroyer is marked 2.2...), and when it comes to glide it doesn't crash into the ground but it's not a Flow either.

I'd take the wing measurements with a grain of salt. PDGA should measure the mold imo, but sending the mold to be approved would not be economical. I know for a fact that plastic shrinkage can account for at LEAST +/- 1mm on the wing, so the specs on the PDGA site are totally dictated by whatever plastic is sent to them. Often manufacturers send in protos in a plastic blend that will never even be produced, or send in a FR disc in a special blend (Innova almost always blends better plastic for their 1st runs imo).

ManU said:
this thread is very much like the Sword thread

could someone write up some more info on the Boatman?

is it a decent wind fighter in VIP?
is it Predator like?
is it more stable than the Sword
is it overstable?
wing size?
glide? or lack of?

So I have tried three different Opto (I cant remember if this is TL or VIP) boatmen.
I wasnt overly happy with it. I thought that they where pretty stable but not really stable enough for the spot they should have. Ie. they would flip when faced with some headwind. And there are discs that do the same, that are better out there IMO. So Id probably prefer some kind of Z-pred over it. (Probably not a new Z-pred, but worn or beat should be fine.)
Blake has talked about them in some thread on here as well.

discspeed said:
JR said:
Your post is very valid though as there are more flattish Swords out there than domey ones. I hope Lat/Westside takes this into account for the next run and shoots for domey. Both the Flow and Sword are MUCH better discs with a moderate to high dome, and they have to know this.

My blue GL Flow is a flattie but flies super nice with a ton of glide... a little on the flippy side. The jury is still out on my poppy top Opto.