• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What discs to buy?

the teebird, roc, aviar line up is def tried and true but might make you into an innova lover. just remember there are other brands that are awesome too. but those 3 def will not misguide you. hell i only throw 1 out of 3 of those. and i could honestly play just about any course with just those 3

Would it be smart to switch the roc to a z buzzz and a different putter?

Would it be smart to switch the roc to a z buzzz and a different putter?

You could do that. Buzzz and Roc are really the biggest names in mids. You could try a DX Rhyno out. It's shallower so maybe your friend would like that since he likes putting with the Shark. They are pretty overstable though (they will fade a bunch at slower speeds).

This newb looks for misprints then finds sales so I never pay retail

What online retailers sell misprints for, you can buy brand new from a DGCR member in the Market Place. Try to remember that premium discs last for years, unless you skip them repeatedly across the parking lot or let your dog fetch them. What I'm trying to say is that even deeper discounts can be found on slightly used discs, which are better IMO because all the hard work of beating them into a stability they will retain for years has already begun.

What online retailers sell misprints for, you can buy brand new from a DGCR member in the Market Place. Try to remember that premium discs last for years, unless you skip them repeatedly across the parking lot or let your dog fetch them. What I'm trying to say is that even deeper discounts can be found on slightly used discs, which are better IMO because all the hard work of beating them into a stability they will retain for years has already begun.

While your point may be true, I just do not feel comfortable buying from the market place just yet as I am still new here

Would it be better than an aviar? his throws with it always fade to the left of the basket

It will fade less then an Aviar but Aviars are pretty straight. It's shallower so that could be part of the issue too, it'll sit a bit flatter like a Shark. I wouldn't putt with a Shark since it's a larger diameter, you are more likely to get spit outs.

Get all DX and maybe 165-168 grams, prob should be able to get an Aviar, Roc (could go heavier on the mid), Gazelle, Leopard and a Valkyrie. Maybe consider a Banshee if you face a ton of headwind shots. You guys could probably have 5 new discs for 40 bucks to try and DX is great to learn with on a budget or not.

I traded for something on the marketplace and I'm fairly new... But get a heavy backup leopard, 170ish Z buzzz (i have a misprint and it's great) and a heavy putter that feels comfy. I'd recommend a DX aviar or a soft focus. Trial and error my friend. I also have a tight budget, considering I only get paid for mowing the lawn. It's ok to take your time and figure it out. But whatever you do, DO NOT GET ANYTHING ABOVE SPEED 7 UNTIL YOU THROW OVER 300 FEET. I wish I learned that sooner...

Would it be better than an aviar? his throws with it always fade to the left of the basket

I LOVE my XD because it goes STRAIGHT with very little fade. It definitely has less fade than an Aviar. It's been my accurate approach disc for years (although I'm having fun mixing in my new Tangent here as well) and is also a good long putter. I think the XD is one of the most underrated discs out there.

My rule of thumb is the slower the disc the heavier it needs to be.
What ever you decide, try to keep this in mind. I like my mids and putter as heavy as possible. Anything faster I try to get a 171g (but that's just my personal preference).

What ever you decide, try to keep this in mind. I like my mids and putter as heavy as possible. Anything faster I try to get a 171g (but that's just my personal preference).

Would 170g driver, 174-176g mid and 177-180g putter be good since it's always windy here?