• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you guys think of these beginner sets?

Dude, you nailed it.

You will find a lot of similarities between the putters and mids but that's fine.
Experiment until a favorite emerges.

All of the discs you chose are tried and true. They are in bag's from novice to 1000+ rated pro's.

You will never "outgrow" those discs.

I like the selections....

you have a GREAT foundation for the bottom end of the game.

You've bought (in real golf terms) -
2 putters
2 (6) Irons...

what about the 2 Irons and Woods?

2 Iron = Valkyrie / TeeBird
Woods = Katana <- This disc will be way over your head, but get it and throw it... Seeing what discs of this capacity can do will be good for you.

Everyone that I know that bought the prepacked starter sets hated the disc in a month. The usually send a 150 gram putter and driver.

OK....here's what I ended up with.
I ordered from Discgolfcenter.com.
Since I like to experiment, I ordered 2 midranges and 2 putters just to see what feels best to me.

Here's what I got:

Aviar P & A Innova , DX , Standard , 169 , Orange
Roc Innova , DX , Standard , 168 , Blue
Buzzz Discraft , Pro-D , Standard , 166 , Yellow
Magnet Discraft , Pro-D , Standard , 166 , Red

Did I do ok?

Len
Edit/Delete Message

Great choices, I think alot better than the starter kits.

Excellent choices, they're all staples..., get a Leopard next... don't believe the people that tell you Teebird... if you think you should get a Teebird buy a Stalker or TL, that was a frustrating beginner disc for me especially since they take a while to beat in. Good choice with the Magnet and Aviar they are very different from the other and the best offering from each company, personally I like Gateway and they have a sweet X-out deal (Magic,Wiz,Voodoo for around $22) the stuff you've got is excellent I'm just saying don't overlook them. Oh and beware of 174g max weight discs especially when buying a driver.

Last edited:
BTW Xpress is Discrafts Leopard, either is excellent WHEN you feel it's time to get a first driver, but nothing else. Stalker is a good utility disc after that or for forehand, you will find many discs are very similar and interchangeable so start basic. See how the Roc and Buzzz feel in terms of weight but I'm guessing same weight will work well, stay 170 and below, if you are somewhat athletic I would stay above 160g and avoid 150g. The longer you practice with putters and mids the better you will be, and those of us that bought drivers before putters will be envious that you learned properly.

I think OP did a pretty good job, with mids and putters I think weights in the 170s is better though. As far as adding a driver I agree with the Leopard, TL, Stalker recommendations. Add an Eagle or a Teebird when you start getting the hang of things. Might want to add an understable mid like a Comet, qms, or skeeter, learning how to throw those smooth will really fast track your progress.

I think OP did a pretty good job, with mids and putters I think weights in the 170s is better though. As far as adding a driver I agree with the Leopard, TL, Stalker recommendations. Add an Eagle or a Teebird when you start getting the hang of things. Might want to add an understable mid like a Comet, qms, or skeeter, learning how to throw those smooth will really fast track your progress.

:thmbup: Seconded

I think you did great. I would hold off on a driver for now and get a DX Stingray about 180 gr. for your next purchase. You need to learn an understable mid before moving up to an understable fairway-driver like a Star Leopard. When moving up to higher speed discs its best to start with the understable ones in that speed range first. As you progress, you should gravitate towards the more stable discs.

I think you did great. I would hold off on a driver for now and get a DX Stingray about 180 gr. for your next purchase. You need to learn an understable mid before moving up to an understable fairway-driver like a Star Leopard. When moving up to higher speed discs its best to start with the understable ones in that speed range first. As you progress, you should gravitate towards the more stable discs.

The Stingray is a great disc. If I had to play with just one disc, it would probably be a Stingray, although I'd recommend Star plastic over DX. Easy for beginners to throw, and adds a bit of a different style disc to your bag.

I bought both the innova and discraft set when I started out. I'd recommend either really, but the better deal to me was the Discraft.

\/\/

Latest posts