• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What driver should I use?

Coffinator1

Hello All, my name is William, and I am 16, 5'9". I don't know if this information is useful for my question, but there it is. Anyway, I started disc golf about 2 years ago, and have been getting out maybe once or twice a month. Only recently (last month) have I really gotten into it, and I have been out at least twice a week since. I play Ultimate frisbee, just so you know how I learned to throw, and I still dip down my shoulder when I drive, something that I am learning to stop.

Now to my question: I began driving with a Champion sidewinder 150 g. It used to work pretty well for me, but recently its been turning over a lot, almost to the point where I can't throw it at all far and keep any semblence of accuracy. I don't think that its just because of its age, I've also gotten a lot better. I throw a boss 167 too for longer drives, and it is a little too overstable for me right now. I am currently bidding on a 165 katana for longer drives that will turn over a bit for an s turn, but the course that I play has too short holes for either of those discs. What would people suggest for a driver to go straighter than the sidewinder? I've heard suggestions for a viking from people that a play with.

valkyrie both 150 and normal weights are very good drivers, I am only 15 too and i used this driver for my first two years. very straight and long

Straight? P-PD hands down, around the 170 mark (my older run Freaks started out identical at 168, 172 and 175, where as my DGR P-PDs that feel a bit different flew with less fade but the same HSS, still pure money at 172).

How far do you throw by the way, it's easier to give good suggestions when we know that. Also are you looking for a max distance driver or a more controllable, usable disc? The P-PD is a no brainer though since it scales very well both up and down and can be surprisingly long. It doesn't become a ridiculous meathook at lower speeds and neither does it become incessantly flippy when overpowered.

Coffinator1 said:
Hello All, my name is William, and I am 16, 5'9". I don't know if this information is useful for my question, but there it is. Anyway, I started disc golf about 2 years ago, and have been getting out maybe once or twice a month. Only recently (last month) have I really gotten into it, and I have been out at least twice a week since. I play Ultimate frisbee, just so you know how I learned to throw, and I still dip down my shoulder when I drive, something that I am learning to stop.

Now to my question: I began driving with a Champion sidewinder 150 g. It used to work pretty well for me, but recently its been turning over a lot, almost to the point where I can't throw it at all far and keep any semblence of accuracy. I don't think that its just because of its age, I've also gotten a lot better. I throw a boss 167 too for longer drives, and it is a little too overstable for me right now. I am currently bidding on a 165 katana for longer drives that will turn over a bit for an s turn, but the course that I play has too short holes for either of those discs. What would people suggest for a driver to go straighter than the sidewinder? I've heard suggestions for a viking from people that a play with.
Firebird would be the closest thing to a Sidewider + (over)stability

Well as for distances, I haven't really done much exact measuring, but I know that I've gotten my boss upwards of 350 ft. My sidewinder I can get in the 300 ft range, but it doesn't do that well anymore with the amount of turn on it. I'm throwing a midrange disc, the Skeeter, that I can get 250 feet.

jubuttib said:
StumperTX said:
Firebird would be the closest thing to a Sidewider + (over)stability
... WHAT?!
x2

At 300ft with control: Gazelle or Cyclone. Teebird could also be good, especially with a little more power.

Distance driver over 300ft try a Star or Champ Valkyrie in a moderate weight. The Boss is an oddball. In light weights or with low PLH it can go forever but is unpredictable. Other Bosses can be overstable at your distance.

The Millennium Orion LS is the Innova Sidewinder with an added nose spacer. This makes it slightly more overstable. If you really liked the Sidewinder but want just a little extra overstability then the Orion LS is the disc for you.
Valkyries are usually one tick more stable than the OLS.
The Viking is the next step up from the Valk.
Next is the Discmania PD which is an evenly stable or overstable disc depending on your power or the plastic you choose.

All of those discs I mentioned have the same wing width so they should feel relatively similar in your hand.

Having said that, I agree with Dogma that the Gazelle, Cyclone, or Teebird might be better choices than the faster stuff I listed above.

I'd suggest a JLS. It's the straightest and most consistent disc I have in my bag and is my go to. It really helped me hone my backhands.

Can't really go wrong with JLS or a star leopard here. Try to learn how to throw the sidewinder so it flips to flat and carries...pretty handy tool to pick up early on.

So now I've moved on quite a bit in the last few weeks. I am now flipping my boss even with maybe 15 degrees of hyzer. I have a new star katana that of course is very stable but I can throw it pretty straight for a while until it just dives left. I also have a new star wraith that I throw predictably straight with a large fade at the end. all three of those discs are in the 167 weight. I'm looking for something that will not flip on me, but not have the huge fade of the wraith or katana, and not go as far. Anything that will be a good 300 ft drive while being in my stability range?

I am going to step outside the DGR box here and recommend a driver that a lot of people over look, the Champion Panther. This disc can do it all, and is one of the most user friendly discs on the market.

good 300 ft drive while being in my stability range?
There is not a "stability range" for any disc golf player, even the pro's. basically from what I am reading you seem to be over torquing the disc if your boss/wraith is "flipping" and then fading back hard to the left. This is not the disc flipping, you are forcing it over, most players refer to this as an S-Shot(most players learn this shot early on). The champion Panther will give you 300-400ft of distance if you throw it straight and flat. It can be used as a driver and a midrange(GASP! you need one of those). learn to throw flat and straight, everything else works off that 8)

I think everyone is looking to give a "driver" answer, but you need something a little slower and more workable. If you can't find a panther, then get a Gazelle or Cyclone.

Coffinator1 said:
So now I've moved on quite a bit in the last few weeks. I am now flipping my boss even with maybe 15 degrees of hyzer.quote]

Coffinator1 said:
I'm looking for something that will not flip on me, but not have the huge fade of the wraith or katana, and not go as far. Anything that will be a good 300 ft drive while being in my stability range?

A Boss probably shouldn't be flipping over at 300 foot power. You might want to stick with a slower disk something stable to under stable and work on your form a bit. I feel many of the previous suggestions would work. JLS, Valk, Teebird, Leapord, Cyclone, XL ext..

Just curious, what plastic is your Boss? R-Pro?

EDIT: Saw you mention this in another thread, a used Pro Boss? Explains why you're turning it at all at those distances, my Star Boss doesn't even budge on a 400' thrown into headwind.

Latest posts