• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What ever happened to Scott Stokely?

Fritz said:
Kewl deal, I understand your doubts. I'll see if I can get you a better photo from the bottom, up to the teepad.
The official distance on the score card was 700' from pad to pin. Shrug. Walking up that hill was tiring. edit: As the crow flies of course.
No disrespect, it certainly is a grand hole. But if the specs were right it'd be a 450' climb up and down the hill, and it would be far more than just tiring. =)

Please provide pics, the hole does look very interesting and would be fun to play. I'd probably use a putter though, seems like the way to go when throwing downhill.

I need to get me a decent job and some money for a trip, you've got such nice courses over there, I'm jealous.

Check out the top of the world holes at Whistler's Bend (hole 14, 600' long, 100' high), and Diamond X (Hole 18, 726' long, 186' high).

Not tryin' to jump on your shit, Fritz, just saying that heights can be deceiving. And yeah, regardless, it does look like a fun hole.

this is 6 long at Staffod Lake, the red dots are the 3 most common basket positions (i believe it's in the trees in this pic) IIRC it is just under or just over 100' of elevation
6longStafford-1.jpg

......i dunno Fritzy ;)

A 700' hole with a 400' elevation is going to be a shot where you're throwing Whippets on 80 degree hyzer lines or just fluffing your putter out there.

I don't think that hole exists in the whole disc golf world.

I was wrong on my assessment of elevation change. I spoke with the course designer, it's ~190' in elevation, and 700' from Teepad to Pin measured with ones of those lazer site things.
My apologies. It felt a lot higher than that but oh well, it was a long ass hole.

So kinda back on topic. You think Scott thought about those white shorts and the possibility of a big brown streak showing up in photos.

Thatdirtykid said:
So kinda back on topic. You think Scott thought about those white shorts and the possibility of a big brown streak showing up in photos.

Lolz, I bet he got that from the log bench sitting at the Teebox. It had sap and all sorts of dirt on it. Many people fell victim to that log.

Hi All,

I probably won't get to log back on so if I don't reply to anyone please forgive me...

I'm completely done playing. I have three ruptured discs in my back and when my Elbow goes from bent to straight rapidly it hurts and swells up like a grapefruit. It's pretty gross but still kind of funny looking as well. After about 5 years completely off I tried practicing for two days and going to a tournament last year and even though I loved seeing everyone, it hurt like hell and took months before I fully recovered from it. I won't do that again.

None of this is a complaint though. I got so much from this sport including my final 8 years just traveling around the world playing Frisbee for a living.. When I put everything together I consider myself incredibly fortunate. Anything I'm dealing with now is a tradeoff and if I had to do it all over I would do it in a heartbeat.

My daughter is now 11. Her (Gabi) and my girlfriend Lacy are my life and again I couldn't be any luckier.

Sometimes I wish I could still play. I do live right on a disc golf course and I confess that at times I'll sit at my window watching people play and am very say. Lacy has caught me crying but it really was just dust in my eyes. Again though, this sport gave me more than I could have dreamed of so even though I am sad at times, I still always feel very lucky. I mean, very, very lucky! Also, since my daughter was born I never considered doing anything that would take me away from her so my days of touring were done even if I were healthy

I'm self employed and have worked from home running Internet business for 11 years and this lets me attend all her school activities and participate in every area of her life. This and lacy are my 100% focus.

I hope to get things fixed at some point. My insurance company found a way to not cover any of the things wrong with me so at the moment I'm just living with this. On most days I get around ok. At some point I'll find a way to get it all fixed but even then I don't plan on putting in the time needed playing disc golf to be competitive. I loved my life in the sport but that is the past and now it's my daughter's turn to have all the opportunities I can provide for her to follow all of her dreams. She's a fantastic signer and actress and I think most of my free time in the upcoming years will involve helping her pursue that. She's also a science fanatic with an eye towards space so I'm going to have plenty to keep me busy.

So all is basically good, I have few regrets. I was flattered to hear people still talking about me so I felt I owed it to you to write. I hope every one of you I met I treated with respect because the most important thing I want people to remember about me was that I always treated everyone well. I always tried to behave better than most of the other top pros because I did, and still do, consider every one of you part of my extended family. This is a family I feel blessed to have and this was always the most important area of my game to me!

Thanks again for still thinking of me!

Scott

Thanks a lot for the update Scott, and all the best to you and your family! Hope you get your back and elbow fixed soon, and may the insurance company burn...

Scott, welcome to DGR! While I never got to watch you personally on tour, I've seen a good deal of video coverage of you during you hay day, and it's quite exciting and inspiring to watch. While I know you're done with disc golf as a game for now, I would hope you would stick around our community for a while. We have a lot of fun discussing form and mechanics, and any insight you could provide would be invaluable.

Scott, I'm glad to hear that you are doing well for yourself. I've always looked up to you and it is great that you're popping in to say hello. As Timko said, any insight that you have would prove invaluable, and I do hope that you decide to stick around! Good luck with the family!

-Cam

I wish Scott and his family all the best and would not mind a more detailed slo mo instructional video from him. An instructional video does not necessarily mean that the Scott needs to throw himself. If real throws are to be filmed he could hire someone to illustrate his points. I'm hoping for DGR style nuts and bolts type of laser surgery :) Especially on what happens during the final 10" of the throw. Ok ok bring on the jokes i know there's ahem an opening for them.

I bought one of Stokely's first videos when I started out. There was virtually ZERO literature or videos online at the time (prior to YouTube) so I was scrambling all over the place to find anything to learn the technical aspects of the sport. I saw Stokely first hand at a seminar at our local course here in Louisiana around 2000 or so. Our longest hole was hole 18 on the Duzee. I watched him bomb an Aviar past the basket. At that time hole 18 was about 450 feet or so.
I was in awe.

I have his 3 DVD set and i don't throw any putters to 400' at sea level on level ground. The vids don't work we need a farther throw producing video :-D

I got to play with Scott once last year and I can assure everyone he is a class act, very cool and friendly as can be. Due to his injuries he wasn't even attempting to throw big when I played with him. Of course, he can still throw 450+ taking it easy. I have heard stories from other locals who played with him back in the day about his power. From what I'm told, no one has more power. Even Max Voigt and Christian Sandstrom, although they have beaten his record throws on distance lines, don't come near his line drive power. My buddy Evan told me that everytime Scott did his "OK I'm going for it now" throw in a distance contest, all of his fingers would break open under the nails and start bleeding. I think Scott learned how to throw with more power than the human body can handle :)

How far did he throw line drives? Markus källström has been the usual suspect for farther than most line drives in competition. Jussi Meresmaa also reportedly cracked skin in the finger in one distance event at least.

JR said:
How far did he throw line drives? Markus källström has been the usual suspect for farther than most line drives in competition. Jussi Meresmaa also reportedly cracked skin in the finger in one distance event at least.

I never forgot Markus's line drive at WVa Open (Paw Paw) back in Sept 2008 (I just started playing disc golf that summer). He threw Destroyer so straight and it landed about 20 or so feet away from basket on side. I looked at tee sign and it is 520' feet.

Good to hear Scott is doing fine. I read his instructional book which is pretty good. Love his tips.

Way to go Scott Stokely, you made a positive impact on the sport, without a doubt. That's why we still ask: "what ever happened to Scott Stokely?"

It sucks that you're under the gun from pre-existing condition BS and the health insurance mafia. Hopefully you can get fixed up in the near future.

In a more recognized/financed sport you wouldn't fathom where one of its greatest athletes is forced to retire because he can't afford a seemingly (I don't know if it is or not) minor surgery. Reminds me of Sandy Koufax's fate before Tommy John surgery was pioneered... Sad.